New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Game has a solid foundation and with several more months in the oven, this could very well be the first "good" game for several years. Definitely needs some tuning and some end game stuff needs to be balanced and figured out, but it has better bones than most beta launches I've seen.

75% of companies would've launched this game as is. It's pretty good Amazon said "nah, let's wait." Respect to them for that.

My feelings were New World >AoC until delay then AoC>New World with all the fucking chatter and AMAs with Sorcerer, but now that I've played New World I think it could definitely be more fun than a classic style MMO that AoC may in fact be.

Who knows, I'm sure AoC will have some awesome shit and I'll flip my opinion again in like two months!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah the bones are definitely there. There is quite a lot of stuff that is well done, but the character abilities / progression is gonna be a deal breaker for a lot of people unless they toss it in the garbage and start anew.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If anyone can play the, "until it's ready strategy" in 2020 it's Amazon.

Amazon just pulled $18B in EBIT alone this week boys.

Octave

Trakanon Raider

Infinite money does not make a good game. Look at Star Citizen or Diablo 3.

The issue is that it's very hard to make compelling PVE content that is original in the MMO genre. After they bagged the whole PVP sandbox idea, they went back and said 'how do we do compelling PVE?'. No one in the industry has the answer.

WoW will always do theme parks best if that's what you're after but even they have taken to time gated content. It's nearly impossible to keep people entertained on PVE after the first month.

Path of Exile is the only modern game that stays popular with MMO-like PVE outside of theme parks. They clean slate every 4 months and add new content at the same time. This is their biggest innovation and the reason for their continued success.

Other genres, like survival games, have some bits and pieces that might make up the next successful MMO.

Conan Exiles solved, at least in part, the discoverability issue that EQ has with a modern playerbase without use of themepark style quests by guiding the player through sort of achievement style progression. If you don't know what to do, you can look your unique-things-to-do-list that will slightly increase your power. Along the way, you can create your own goals needed to achieve the bigger goals. This feels less like a job.

Breath of the Wild has those temples that provide meaningful but slow non-grindy content towards gradual power increase that is obvious to the player what to do next without being on rails.

These are the pieces that a fresh MMO would need to take.

New World will not take a third stab at it. It'd be a bad move for the group involved at Amazon. This is a theme park game.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
All systems in New World are nothing-new. They certainly aren't reinventing the wheel so to speak.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Breath of the Wild has those temples that provide meaningful but slow non-grindy content towards gradual power increase that is obvious to the player what to do next without being on rails.

I find BoTW has absolutely zero replay-ability for me. Just devastatingly bored to think about running around to every stupid temple and trying to beat them all again. Or to run so damn far, climb so slowly, etc. The game was awesome, but I'd never play it again. About once every six months I'll pickup my Switch and play it for about 3 minutes then turn it back off and throw it back in this box.

• 1Like

bytes

Molten Core Raider

Amazon just pulled $18B in EBIT alone this week boys.
If this is all that infinite money can buy, then MMOs are dead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Its not the money or the amount of it. Clearly it seems like this game never had a vision and a person to guide that vision home.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Vyemm Raider

Infinite money means jack if you have no clear goal or endpoint. Whoever is/was running this game has changed it so much and so often and yet there is still no clearly defined game. This game is a management issue, much like SC.

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Isnt this all a test for the LotR mmo?
That's what I believe it to be. A test run for the new studio. Get their warts out now so that their LOTR MMO has as little hiccups as humanly possible.

• 3Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Isnt this all a test for the LotR mmo?

From the very beginning (and I think the comments section reflects this early on), the sentiment seemed to reflect that it felt like Amazon was preparing an engine, rather than a game.

Which, would be a very Amazonian perspective.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Infinite money does not make a good game. Look at Star Citizen or Diablo 3.

Star Citizen is a modern day snake oil. I'm not sure it's a fair comparison to other projects that intend on deilvering an actual game.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Details of next week's Preview as it's being called:

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wheee
1598032014689.png