New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Beyond 10 minutes "Mike the Dev" gave me these vibes...

Capture.PNG

What's this dudes name? To date, he's my least favorite marketing guy for any game ever.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
is the beta constantly available or is this some sort of on/off deal?
The Preview is over. They said there might be additional "Previews" between now and the actual launch, whether or not those will be under NDA I would assume not but this whole game's PR has been weird AF.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Preview is over. They said there might be additional "Previews" between now and the actual launch, whether or not those will be under NDA I would assume not but this whole game's PR has been weird AF.
German amazon currently says you get "closed beta" access in spring 2021. And you get a title. Of course you get a title. That's true value.

If you can't play right now, I see no reason to preorder now then.

Xerge

<Donor>
He sidelined the mount question and gave boiler plate shit about missing out on cool moments if you just rush through. However he seemed well aware of current weapon balance which is a plus

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Asmon: "Theres 30 stone towers with all the exact same enemy/mob/chest layouts, are you planning to do anything about this to add variety?"

Mike: "The races share a language so similar architecture could be expected"

I'm dead.

The game world just seems extra big for no particular reason other than to spread out the population and more total city sieges per day. There's what, like 5 starting "zones" all with nearly the same enemies and cities that could easily have just been 1 zone if not for the need to spread people out so that 1000 level 1s aren't all in 1 spot. If I didn't have to bring up the main map every other minute to figure out where I am (since no minimap) most of the time I wouldn't even be able to tell that I've transitioned from one area to the next.

Yeah It's realistic that there wouldn't be drastic differences in topography from one side of an island to another, but it's repetitive as shit from a game perspective. Even if the graphics look good variety is nicer.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
He sidelined the mount question and gave boiler plate shit about missing out on cool moments if you just rush through. However he seemed well aware of current weapon balance which is a plus

Weapon balance. Weapon use. Weapon types...

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Asmon: "Theres 30 stone towers with all the exact same enemy/mob/chest layouts, are you planning to do anything about this to add variety?"

Mike: "The races share a language so similar architecture could be expected"

I'm dead.

The game world just seems extra big for no particular reason other than to spread out the population and more total city sieges per day. There's what, like 5 starting "zones" all with nearly the same enemies and cities that could easily have just been 1 zone if not for the need to spread people out so that 1000 level 1s aren't all in 1 spot. If I didn't have to bring up the main map every other minute to figure out where I am (since no minimap) most of the time I wouldn't even be able to tell that I've transitioned from one area to the next.

Yeah It's realistic that there wouldn't be drastic differences in topography from one side of an island to another, but it's repetitive as shit from a game perspective. Even if the graphics look good variety is nicer.

I think that was one of the major things that Vanguard got right. Big but transitions all over.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You shut your whore mouth about Paul Barnett. Dude could sell you milk for your car and you'd buy it up.

Yeah, he'd be selling me liquid gold and my car would be ruined and I'd hate him for it. Much like Warhammer Online.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider

Do you think this is for New World or is AGS making a 3rd MMO? Sci-Fi is not how i would classify NW or LOTR

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

Do you think this is for New World or is AGS making a 3rd MMO? Sci-Fi is not how i would classify NW or LOTR

That's almost certainly a new MMO, and is explicitly the one Smedley is making as he tweeted about the jobs in question.

Smedley is/was a huge fan of SWG. It's no surprise he may want to replicate its relative success at Amazon with a new online game.
He may get shit here, but at least he's still trying to make games. He's also just a nice guy in general... one of the many reasons P99 is still around and not in legal hell. They had the opportunity, apparently, to shut down Project 1999 and he said "Why the fuck are we shutting these dudes down?"

He put his company (SOE/Daybreak) on the line to save people he had no obligation of saving. Also, from what I understand, very few of the folks that worked in the business side knew that EQEmulator is not built on stolen software or stolen code. It's 100% clean room reverse engineering and always has been. Despite not understanding that, the guy gave P99 a pass because he liked that people enjoyed EverQuest.

Also, Smedley made the decision to turn EQMac's subscription-only access off because he didn't want the people there to have to pay. He kept it running way past when it should have been because he cared about Al'Kabor and the community in question.

Dude gets a lot of shit about mozzarella sticks and other terrible memes here. Smedley, McQuaid and Trost are real people. People who were put in a position in the industry that they didn't expect to ever have been in, because they put their blood, sweat and tears into a game that they didn't know would be successful or not.

They get a lot of shit because they are basically just 'anyone', but were put in a position to manage multimillion dollar franchises with zero experience doing so. You may not ever be able to recreate your success like they did, but I love that they are trying... so that others may have the same success they did in the past.

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's almost certainly a new MMO, and is explicitly the one Smedley is making as he tweeted about the jobs in question.

Smedley is/was a huge fan of SWG. It's no surprise he may want to replicate its relative success at Amazon with a new online game.
He may get shit here, but at least he's still trying to make games. He's also just a nice guy in general... one of the many reasons P99 is still around and not in legal hell. They had the opportunity, apparently, to shut down Project 1999 and he said "Why the fuck are we shutting these dudes down?"

He put his company (SOE/Daybreak) on the line to save people he had no obligation of saving. Also, from what I understand, very few of the folks that worked in the business side knew that EQEmulator is not built on stolen software or stolen code. It's 100% clean room reverse engineering and always has been. Despite not understanding that, the guy gave P99 a pass because he liked that people enjoyed EverQuest.

Also, Smedley made the decision to turn EQMac's subscription-only access off because he didn't want the people there to have to pay. He kept it running way past when it should have been because he cared about Al'Kabor and the community in question.

Dude gets a lot of shit about mozzarella sticks and other terrible memes here. Smedley, McQuaid and Trost are real people. People who were put in a position in the industry that they didn't expect to ever have been in, because they put their blood, sweat and tears into a game that they didn't know would be successful or not.

They get a lot of shit because they are basically just 'anyone', but were put in a position to manage multimillion dollar franchises with zero experience doing so. You may not ever be able to recreate your success like they did, but I love that they are trying... so that others may have the same success they did in the past.

He might be the only guy in the US making a major MMORPG title. At least it's something. I don't know why they are basing in SD doesn't that just instantly add 30% to the cost of hiring people?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
He might be the only guy in the US making a major MMORPG title. At least it's something. I don't know why they are basing in SD doesn't that just instantly add 30% to the cost of hiring people?

During a pandemic? No tech companies are working from a studio in person, and if they are, they aren't in the US and certainly not in California. Thus they can get away with paying someone $75k+ to stay in Buttfuck, Kentucky that may have a CS degree to work on their games without having to give up their culture and safety. Plus all Amazon tech jobs have a 150k signing bonus right now.

Why not SD? Look outside. Tell me how many people have masks on. In a part of the US like Pennsylvania that has COVID under control more than California, there's still like 80% of the idiots around this suburban town I am in not wearing masks despite 100+ cases of COVID per day. Now imagine California, which has a shit ton more people condensed in one city like San Diego / Los Angeles.

Then tell me it's safe to have people come into an office and do a job they can do from anywhere in the world at 85% efficiency but half the cost of a San Diego salary.

You might get some 9-5 person that works in San Diego or California due to having no choice in the matter by owning property there that no one would want to buy or rent, or talent from all across the US that costs less and is actually interested in working and loves games. It's a no brainer to me to get the latter than the former.

I'd say this is why Daybreak can't find talent to work for them, in the same respect - they assume that after COVID that people will actually want to work for them in person, and remote working is a 'temporary restriction'. Anyone who cares about their personal safety would not work at a company like that.

Don't get me started on the dumbass people that live in California in high amounts. It's quoted by conservatives as a 'liberal paradise' - yet they have gender reveal parties there that take out a few hundred acres of land.

If anything, this pandemic has taught me that some people are stupid, some have always been purposefully stupid, and when you ask them to use their brains during a pandemic they cannot. So moving to California, for me personally, is out of the question. I imagine anyone in the games industry who still wants to endanger themselves by being in California is desperate for work, let alone moving there to get new work when companies like Amazon let you live like kings in Shitfuck, Montana and live way beyond your means.

Remote work is here to say for at least another year or two, and I hope the trend of remote work lasts past the pandemic.
If this pandemic is any indication, it doesn't matter who you are.
Nor what field of work you are in, or what your income is like, or what sexuality/gender/race/political affiliation/zodiac sign/nationality/culture/religion you are.
None of that matters if you're a fucking moron and unfortunately the world is full of smart people that act like morons.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xerge

<Donor>

• Per weapon cooldowns - Provides more options in combat and makes weapons selection even more valuable:
    • Each weapon will now have independent cooldowns, meaning you can use all 3 abilities on your hatchet and then switch to your warhammer and use all three of its abilities.
    • Weapon switching is sped up enabling you to more easily switch between weapons and create combos between them.
  • You can now dodge roll without stamina after being stuck in multiple consecutive reactions.
  • Abilities interrupted or canceled before the active frames of the attack will no longer be on cooldown.