New World

Xerge

<Donor>
the only upcoming mmo offering buy to play alpha is ashes of creations. Personally way more interested in this game imo

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Nope. It's reverted from betas to alpha again and is doing closed testing with the occasional open testing period. It's entirely possible they want the game to succeed and they want to make it worthwhile before launch. This game was supposed to be out last summer but it would've been dead shortly after. I'm guessing another year or so until actual launch with some possible long-term open beta before launch.

But no, buying it right now doesn't guarantee you into any of the closed tests.
damn i really wanted something to play right now, yeah i just read on the website if you purchase it before launch you are just guaranteed closed beta access in 2021

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It's a fun game for a couple weeks and then it turns into something tedious. This has not changed even with all the other adjustments taking place.

Has a strong foundation but lacks in persistence. We are in a weird place where we have entire genres of games where nothing is permanent and you start back at square one everytime you play (Fortnite, Roguelikes) and then we have grindfests where the pace of forward progress is throttled to the Nth degree. It's very hard to make something in the highly desired space between.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've been in beta every time they have it since the preview back in aug. I love the game personally and can't wait until there's a larger population.

• 2Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That was my issue when I went through a couple of phases of beta. Unless they're just holding the endgame close to the chest or maybe it's being heavily internally tested but regardless, there is just not a clear endgame to appease the majority of the MMO community. At least, not that I experienced...

I will say the game has been extremely smooth and polished in the phases I played. Maybe one of the better betas I have been in but I have no idea what percentage of the concepts and ideas I was exposed to so it could be I played a really solid 10% of the game but I really just didn't get deep enough into the beta role than I probably should have thus far.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’m in the percentage of players where end games raids aren’t as important to me at this point. Between working so much, and school, I don’t have a ton of time to raiding.

My end game will literally be crafting, and honestly I couldn’t be more excited for it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I’m in the percentage of players where end games raids aren’t as important to me at this point. Between working so much, and school, I don’t have a ton of time to raiding.

My end game will literally be crafting, and honestly I couldn’t be more excited for it.
That's a pretty huge percentage of people believe it or not. If developers didnt put the absolute best gear in the game behind raiding, Im not sure how many people would give a fk about it.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's a pretty huge percentage of people believe it or not. If developers didnt put the absolute best gear in the game behind raiding, Im not sure how many people would give a fk about it.

yeah, I know “casual” populations are as large as they ever have been at this point and many out there are like me.

don’t get me wrong, I’d like some group PvE stuff to do beyond invasion events as well. But crafting/gathering and all aspects that surround that will be the bulk of my time. I haven’t been this excited for a housing and crafting since EQ 2 which imo opinion, still after all these years still has the best system ever created.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

It's weird though, because if you don't raid, why do you need the best of the best gear?

Like in Zelda Breath of the Wild, you could get all these armor upgrades... But you can beat the game with literally three hearts and no armor.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's weird though, because if you don't raid, why do you need the best of the best gear?

Like in Zelda Breath of the Wild, you could get all these armor upgrades... But you can beat the game with literally three hearts and no armor.
Well, In this case, you’d need gear to hang in PvP which I still intend on doing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
At this point after 20+ years I would love to see a game that offers all play styles a path to "end game" gear.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
At this point after 20+ years I would love to see a game that offers all play styles a path to "end game" gear.
I think we may see that here. Crafting is a huge part of gearing up and stays that way till max level. But we’ve yet to see what sorta gear is behind that other than from pvp vendors. Time will tell I suppose.

the issue at hand is making the grind for pvp and crafting gear comparable to that of PvE raid gear, else you get a lot of complaining. Again, a time will tell sorta thing here.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Had that a bit in RIFT and I guess WoW. I remember even some of the raiders were using max rank PvP weapons for raiding in RIFT, before the devs nerfed that. Never understood why developers resisted having multiple paths to gear you can use to explore their whole game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Had that a bit in RIFT and I guess WoW. I remember even some of the raiders were using max rank PvP weapons for raiding in RIFT, before the devs nerfed that. Never understood why developers resisted having multiple paths to gear you can use to explore their whole game.

Because people complain. There are a lot of people, including many people who post here, who firmly believe no other gear should ever be as good as raid gear.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
This isn't specific to New World, but I'm of the opinion that gear should be roughly equivalent in quality between Raiding, PvP, and Crafting but itemized to benefit their own category mainly (Resist/Resilience type stuff on PvP gear, AE Autoattack / Threat Modifiers on raid gear, and crafting able to fine tune their gear but with lower highs and higher lows). Comparing it to something like EQ, and this is an oversimplification, PvE gear might be like 50 STR 100 STA, PvP Gear 100 STR 50 STA, and Crafted Gear being 75 STR 75 STA.

I also think raiding should be the simplest/fastest method to get gear since that's the reward for putting up with 20+ other people, but PvP and Crafting should be a route anyone can take if they just really do not want to involve themselves in a raiding guild but still be able to "max" out their character, it just might be significantly more time intensive (PvP grinding) or a currency/time sink (crafting). I do feel the highest quality crafted gear should probably not be tradeable if raid/pvp gear isn't or the resources to make it have to be extremely prohibitive to the point where the market doesn't just become everyone wearing the same crafted sets. Maybe the tier below highest is tradeable and the highest is not tradeable and crafted with significantly rare materials combined with the previous tier.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Because people complain. There are a lot of people, including many people who post here, who firmly believe no other gear should ever be as good as raid gear.

I believe this for one reason. Twenty+ people to get an item VS one individual. IF the time/money sink is equal to that, then by all means make the gear equal. If not? The raid gear should be better. If everyone at the end of the raid gets a prize? Ya...fuckit make it all equal. If the raid of 20+ peeps get a couple drops? Then my latter thought stands.

I also have no issue with end game PvP gear being for PvP being equal to raid gear, but being PvP centric.

End game crafting gear I'm OK with as long as the user is present to procure the parts. Five man group? Part drops? Slightly better crafting gear than five man group gear. Raid part drops? Slightly better than raid gear. If you dumped the time and resources to raise your crafting skill to max lets say, AND you attend these raids or PvP trials or whatever. Gear should be slightly better.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Time spent should not equal the reward value. As in, waiting hours/days for a rare spawn to pop so you can press a few buttons to kill it is a shit reward. The whole concept of time equals reward is just lazy design and should die in a fire.

I feel like Raiding being the only avenue for the best loot is also just lazy design. Having content that is hard in its own right for any type of player should be an MMO's focus of delivery. Raids, Dungeons, Mage Tower Challenges, PVP, etc. Sports in real life is a good comparison - Some people do well in Basketball, others do well in Golf. Mythic Raids are extremely challenging to each individual player on that raid team. Devs can make a Mage Tower challenge that is just as difficult and the rewards be comparable.

(I have no idea how to make crafting into something that actually demands skill and not just mountains of time investment, but hopefully someone has figured it out or will in the future. Real life craftsmanship requires a skill of some type for example.)

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Time spent should not equal the reward value. As in, waiting hours/days for a rare spawn to pop so you can press a few buttons to kill it is a shit reward. The whole concept of time equals reward is just lazy design and should die in a fire.

I feel like Raiding being the only avenue for the best loot is also just lazy design. Having content that is hard in its own right for any type of player should be an MMO's focus of delivery. Raids, Dungeons, Mage Tower Challenges, PVP, etc. Sports in real life is a good comparison - Some people do well in Basketball, others do well in Golf. Mythic Raids are extremely challenging to each individual player on that raid team. Devs can make a Mage Tower challenge that is just as difficult and the rewards be comparable.

(I have no idea how to make crafting into something that actually demands skill and not just mountains of time investment, but hopefully someone has figured it out or will in the future. Real life craftsmanship requires a skill of some type for example.)

ESO already accomplished this and I actually expect it in next gen MMOs. Maelstrom Arena in elderscrollsonline is a solo arena with stages, each with a boss at the end. 9 rounds, with the last one housing the final boss. Last boss drops weapons that are used in every single end game build. So if you're the type who can't solo or only enjoy group gameplay you will not end up BiS. They did make the the normal version drop weapons now so you have no excuse not to learn it and grind out your MA weapon though. ESO also isn't shy about making crafted sets powerful; one of my dungeon aoe builds is a includes a crafted set.

The issues are solvable imo.

• 1Like