New World

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I’ve been pretty lucky to get in as many times as I have. I haven’t been doing much other than trying out new things they they put in without leveling a ton. Highest I’ve went is 30 back during the preview in oct/nov.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've been on the other side of that luck. Preordered and nothin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
So if you pre-purchase do you get into the beta?
Pre-orders get access to Closed Beta when that launches.

If you're wanting Alpha access, which is what's currently going on, that's where the "No, it's random signups" comes in.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it is what it is, I look forward to playing whenever the opportunity presents itself. All a wash if the end result is a game worth playing, I'll take it.

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Pre-orders get access to Closed Beta when that launches.

If you're wanting Alpha access, which is what's currently going on, that's where the "No, it's random signups" comes in.
After all of the alpha/betas/closed betas of the last 20 years, I think I would just rather play at launch. All the tweaks and huge swings have brought such disappointment over time, I just want the finished product to be good.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After all of the alpha/betas/closed betas of the last 20 years, I think I would just rather play at launch. All the tweaks and huge swings have brought such disappointment over time, I just want the finished product to be good.

Thats why all I do it just try out the new changes in the builds, in this case, the added weapons and fishing) till a certain point and then hang it up. I played the preview to level 30 and that was it, I want to keep the game as fresh as possible.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
If they launch their new LOTRO MMO in about 2-3 years using Lumberyard, it's gonna be quite incredible. Engine is super good.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If they launch their new LOTRO MMO in about 2-3 years using Lumberyard, it's gonna be quite incredible. Engine is super good.

I've always felt like New World was just a way for them to show off their engine and lay the foundation for a diff game. New World just the codename for a planned pivot?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've always felt like New World was just a way for them to show off their engine and lay the foundation for a diff game. New World just the codename for a planned pivot?
No, they are sinking significant resources into building this world, lore and pretty much everything within it.

like I can’t speak for others and I don’t wanna make promises but everything I’ve experienced in this game is....just so damn good.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats been a big speculation for the last year. That this game is basically a testing ground for future games and a way to show off their own engine.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
see I like it because it’s different.
They’ve revamped targeting though, so maybe it’ll be better for you? I dunno.

How has the targeting changed? In the past I could equip a fire staff and, with max int, do less damage than I would using a gun once then following up with a sword. I felt like needing to aim plus use up mana was just an inconveniece without any actual benefit.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I think its a bit of both. If it was just this, they would of released this game already, got some money out of it while still messing around with it for as long is stayed alive. The fact they keep delaying it and adding more and more to it, feels like they are at least trying to make it a good game. At least imo. It also helps who is doing the developing, so not exactly hurting for money.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I think its a bit of both. If it was just this, they would of released this game already, got some money out of it while still messing around with it for as long is stayed alive. The fact they keep delaying it and adding more and more to it, feels like they are at least trying to make it a good game. At least imo. It also helps who is doing the developing, so not exactly hurting for money.

I'm not so sure.

The problem w the New World Alpha test was that it wasn't really fun enough to hold players long-term. Which means that the systems that had in place, while super polished, weren't "fun".

I think part of having a good engine is making sure that the systems you can support are fun. So, to make sure they have one helluva marketable engine, they have to have a fun game. Otherwise, you leave studios with a pretty big leap of faith. If you can cross that chasm for them, proving that your engine is flexible enough to produce "fun", there's no longer a question for them.

But again, it could be more and it could be nothing. They really could just be trying to make a fun game and take a long ass time to do it. The only problem is that doesn't really sound like Amazon.

If we were thinking like Amazon, we would say that they're building an engine that's super easy for others to use and make fun games, so that Amazon can then come and steal the entire IP, repackage it, and then deplatform the competition.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I think part of having a good engine is making sure that the systems you can support are fun. So, to make sure they have one helluva marketable engine, they have to have a fun game. Otherwise, you leave studios with a pretty big leap of faith. If you can cross that chasm for them, proving that your engine is flexible enough to produce "fun", there's no longer a question for them.

This is more likely. If your engine is proven to make a successful game *and* you have a team backing it, you now have a reason for thousands of AAA devs to switch off of their revshare options from companies like Unity/Epic Games, and focus solely on making the game. Downside is you're locked into AWS, but it's an upside for some - a lot of companies are already locked in anyways due to EC2 / AWS pricing being super competitive.

There is nothing in the Amazon license agreement that says you have to share revenue with Amazon. You just have to host your gameservers on AWS. However, that pretty much excludes every indie company in itself and smaller, niche games that don't have high revenue.