New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Do we have any information on exactly why Amazon wanted to get into games? Do they have some sort of integration planned with their other services/marketplace, or is it just for diversification purposes? Or a testbed/showcase for their engine?

Cuz Twitch?

It's media, which they're already deep into with Amazon Prime. And they have a massive audience to leverage. And the industry is only growing. And...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Chivalry-style combat in an MMO could be pretty fun. Seems like the most appropriate kind of combat for this setting, too.

I enjoyed Dark Souls so I guess that means I'm OK with it.

Did not like Chivalry though, not my kind of game. I liked that oldschool star wars jedi duels game as far as real-time slasher combat went so I think im just sensitive and particular about the physics and "feel" of that kind of combat. Can't even recall the name, Dark Force 2? hmm I need to look that up some day.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Games as an industry only grows every year. Not sure why they dive into the deep end like MMOs so to speak rather than some smaller stuff. But I welcome it.

I'd speculate that having access to published numbers from Activison, a publicly traded company, had a lot to do with it. It just simply pays more and they are interested in big money only at that size.

A big megacorp like Amazon wouldn't move on MMO's unless there was something that can demonstrate proof of concept. EQ was nowhere near big enough to that end. WoW is just that, with the quarterly reports to back it, its an easy pitch.

The mobile gaming boom was nice, but not all its cracked up to be. Albion sold a lot of boxes. Who's to say this won't also be playable on the tablet, though? So there is your "Smaller stuff" crossover, likely just waiting to be announced.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
All I really want is an interesting new world to get hopelessly lost in while trying to figure shit out, forcing me to really take in every little detail. To have reason to band together with other people as a result. I want to experience another "whoa" moment such as walking through the Ironforge gates for the first time after running all the way there from Darnassus, or being so in awe of the scale of things that traveling on foot from Elwynn to Bloodhoof village to go see what that crazy cool sounding Tauren area was like. And maybe experience lengthy but rewarding trials like getting the whirlwind axe when it first becomes available. Even small ass caves with some troggs in them felt massive.

I've been chasing that sort of nostalgia for over a decade now, and it has been impossible to find outside of very limited experiences as everything is just so damn derivative. Even brand new MMO's feel like old hat. It took such a crazy map design like GW2's HoT expansion stuff to come near anything close to it.

I don't really know if this is even possible, but maybe, just maybe they'll come up with something new and fresh and made with inspiration and talent, with a fresh enough approach that it isn't just the same incestuous product. I don't need another WoW, I already have one, and I'm pretty damn bored with it.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hadden

Trakanon Raider
Agree 100% Dom. I think what makes everyone's first MMO so special is the novelty of a brand new world and style of game.. but at this point they all feel like the same game with a different coat of paint.

People crave novelty and you won't get that from a WoW clone. I don't think you'll see the kind of novelty we're looking for from a AAA studio, but possibly something in the indie realm.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been chasing that sort of nostalgia for over a decade now, and it has been impossible to find outside of very limited experiences as everything is just so damn derivative.

If you haven't played it, Dark Souls offers that kind of nostalgia.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
1 and 3 only.

Don't play 2 after 1-- it will taint your perception of the franchise.

I tried playing 2 after 1. I don't think I ever made it out of the starting area. Something about the movement in that game just feels super off.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I tried playing 2 after 1. I don't think I ever made it out of the starting area. Something about the movement in that game just feels super off.

Its different and I didnt like it at first. The game has a lot of content though and the expansions are superb. If they called it anything but Dark Souls I think people would love it. Its grown on me though over time. Its still the 3rd best Dark Souls but its worth playing.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
2 was saved by it's DLC. It's the worst out of the three but it's not the meme people make it out to be.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This game sounds interesting. Probably because ive never put much time into one of these kinds of MMOs.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
New World Hands-on Preview - Amazon Takes a Swing at a Persistent, Living World

What will be truly engaging is when true large battles come into play. Particularly so with the inclusion of siege weapons. For the hands-on I was able to play, I managed to use explosive barrels. After planting these against the wall of a village, we set them off and raided the camp. It was simple but engaging. I can only imagine how fun a larger battle will be. Just be aware, friendly fire does happen and blowing up a barrel next to an ally will kill them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users