New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
They sent me a survey with 5 bezo bucks attached to fill out. Very interesting survey. They had some things you had to rate that aren't in game yet, but clearly in development. Some of it sounded really cool. Not sure what I can say, but I definitely wouldn't worry about PVE lacking and PVP being only OW ganking or 50v50.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
They sent me a survey with 5 bezo bucks attached to fill out. Very interesting survey. They had some things you had to rate that aren't in game yet, but clearly in development. Some of it sounded really cool. Not sure what I can say, but I definitely wouldn't worry about PVE lacking and PVP being only OW ganking or 50v50.

You’re supposed to copy/pasta that ish.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I'm hoping that AGS is just going to refuse to have both of their starting games be failures out the gate and dump as much money is needed to make NW into a playable game.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
I'm hoping that AGS is just going to refuse to have both of their starting games be failures out the gate and dump as much money is needed to make NW into a playable game.

This is why ive already put money into it. At the very least, a AAA MMO release is always a good time. It's a been a long time since one released, too.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
January update -- Rapiers are in and crafting focus. Honing the Craft | New World

This stood out to me, EQ vibes.

• We’ve introduced over 100 new named weapons and 50 new named armor pieces. These items all have unique names, stats, and backstories. We will continue to build out these gear rewards and assign them to game activities and named characters.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Some great changes with crafting. Excited to mess around with rapiers.

gosh damn I can’t wait for release.

• 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
You legit look like a Bloodborne character. Awesome.
The swamp areas had a very lovecraftian feel when I ran through them spamming delivery quests. This game does have some good aesthetics when it wants to it's just the starting zones have a lot of copy/pasting to them.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
And they lowered the number of weapon slots from 3 to 2. That's a game changer; you have to commit now!

I was a little surprised they moved Warding food from Cooking to what I assume will be Arcana (potion making), though.

Will be very interested in seeing how they'll make crafting relevant at end game, but it sounds like you can create the good stuff on accident (or with a recipe) just as much as you can loot it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, the weapon slot reduction is a pretty huge change ...which I figured they may consider after they made it so all weapons didn't share cooldowns anymore.

As of now with the weapons I've tried I'm going to go bows and probably spears but I need to try rapiers and whatever other weapons they bring in. Bummed I can't carry a life staff for travel anymore. Even with the distance nerf, it was still useful.

Xerge

<Donor>
First animation canceling(I think? last patch) and now only 2 weapons, i'm so fucking hyped for this. I feel like they will nail the action/aiming/rpg hybrid i've come to enjoy.

• 1Like

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
January update -- Rapiers are in and crafting focus. Honing the Craft | New World

This stood out to me, EQ vibes.

• We’ve introduced over 100 new named weapons and 50 new named armor pieces. These items all have unique names, stats, and backstories. We will continue to build out these gear rewards and assign them to game activities and named characters.
Hope they also have unique looks, one thing that I loved about EQ was seeing someone run around and knowing what bracer or gauntlets they had by the look and color of the item.

Any idea on a release date timeline for this?

AGS from what I am told, is pumping a lot of resources and manpower into completing this, then is shifting major focus on their LOTR MMORPG.. with reportedly a big budget.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Hope they also have unique looks, one thing that I loved about EQ was seeing someone run around and knowing what bracer or gauntlets they had by the look and color of the item.

Any idea on a release date timeline for this?

AGS from what I am told, is pumping a lot of resources and manpower into completing this, then is shifting major focus on their LOTR MMORPG.. with reportedly a big budget.

Initial estimates were spring this year but I'm not sure at this point. They are still going through Alphas and adding content with no end to it in sight I wouldn't be surprised if it was mid to late summer. I wish it was much sooner but the game just keeps improving so it's hard to be too upset.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the weapon slot reduction is a pretty huge change ...which I figured they may consider after they made it so all weapons didn't share cooldowns anymore.

As of now with the weapons I've tried I'm going to go bows and probably spears but I need to try rapiers and whatever other weapons they bring in. Bummed I can't carry a life staff for travel anymore. Even with the distance nerf, it was still useful.
So let me ask my questions here because I am excited to talk about this new dumb game now: Are the weapons mastered with use? Do you invest points in them ala skill trees? What's a good resource to read up on the game's systems? I should probably just look back in the thread but that's too logical. Evangelize!

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So let me ask my questions here because I am excited to talk about this new dumb game now: Are the weapons mastered with use? Do you invest points in them ala skill trees? What's a good resource to read up on the game's systems? I should probably just look back in the thread but that's too logical. Evangelize!

Those in Alpha are technically under NDA, but Id imagine it is mostly in place to stop streamers. This game is also a little weird as they had an open "beta" for a week and a weekend for most anyone that signed up and everyone who preordered.

In the beta, weapons had there own XP system, that only leveled up on kills, if you hit the mob with that weapon, before it died. This is separate from the leveling system for your character (that gains XP from doing quests, mob kills, and tradeskill stuff). It is entirely possible to get to max level without skilling up any weapons (other than during the tutorial).

The weapons all have their own skill tree with six active and (a bunch of) passive abilities, I dont know if you can max it out, but you can only put 3 of the 6 active abilities on your bar(for that weapon). AFAIK, you dont get any extra passive dmg per point you put in the weapon tree, but each tier is locked until you invest a point in the preceding tier.

Here is a pic from the beta (not under a NDA) (not much has changed, at least for how the trees looks):
WeaponMastery_image-3.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Those in Alpha are technically under NDA, but Id imagine it is mostly in place to stop streamers. This game is also a little weird as they had an open "beta" for a week and a weekend for most anyone that signed up and everyone who preordered.

In the beta, weapons had there own XP system, that only leveled up on kills, if you hit the mob with that weapon, before it died. This is separate from the leveling system for your character (that gains XP from doing quests, mob kills, and tradeskill stuff). It is entirely possible to get to max level without skilling up any weapons (other than during the tutorial).

The weapons all have their own skill tree with six active and (a bunch of) passive abilities, I dont know if you can max it out, but you can only put 3 of the 6 active abilities on your bar(for that weapon). AFAIK, you dont get any extra passive dmg per point you put in the weapon tree, but each tier is locked until you invest a point in the preceding tier.

Here is a pic from the beta (not under a NDA) (not much has changed, at least for how the trees looks):
This is still how things are now for the most part.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

Thanks so much! So when I asked "Are the weapons mastered with use? Do you invest points in them ala skill trees?" the answer was: Yes!