New World

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Sounds like they know it's trash and nobody will care about it save like the 0.1% of players that feel the need to read everything.
It's another thing to do in the game. Probably will tie into some weird achievement post-launch or something.

And then players will brag about collecting every single one, or they'll get super powerful gear for finding each one.

It's content... not engaging content, but it's there.
The lore books reeks of people who would try and fill in 'deliverables' for launch milestones so they get bonuses at work.
Or something they'd put the junior designers on.

EQ2 was full of useless text like that. Can't imagine anyone took pleasure in doing that, and then translating it to 7 languages.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's another thing to do in the game. Probably will tie into some weird achievement post-launch or something.

And then players will brag about collecting every single one, or they'll get super powerful gear for finding each one.

It's content... not engaging content, but it's there.
The lore books reeks of people who would try and fill in 'deliverables' for launch milestones so they get bonuses at work.
Or something they'd put the junior designers on.

EQ2 was full of useless text like that. Can't imagine anyone took pleasure in doing that, and then translating it to 7 languages.

It just feels like something that works better on smaller scale stories within the game. If it's actually the way they're trying to record/deliver the main story for the game, it might just be too big for that method to be real effective...although obviously for the large percentage that doesn't care about story it won't matter.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I read through the pirate one in the lower left of Cutlass. If theyre all like that one, they are just mini stories to give you some background on why that area exists. They arent always in the same area, though. Some of the pages I looted were connected to stories that are based on the mobs. Like the ruins above hamlet, and the ruins north of the MSQ guy have connected pages, for example.

Im sure some are just boring and monotonous writing, but the one in Cutlass about the undead pirates was interesting.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I read through the pirate one in the lower left of Cutlass. If theyre all like that one, they are just mini stories to give you some background on why that area exists. They arent always in the same area, though. Some of the pages I looted were connected to stories that are based on the mobs. Like the ruins above hamlet, and the ruins north of the MSQ guy have connected pages, for example.

Im sure some are just boring and monotonous writing, but the one in Cutlass about the undead pirates was interesting.
Books that you read yourself are only ever just background, even in single player games. I am a lore/narrative "enthusiast", in that these stories really matter to me, and in this format even I couldn't be assed to read it like this. 15 pages collected at random from around the world, all over the place, pieced together eventually, and that's a story? Come the f on. Much like the starter area, this lore needs stronger connective tissue, quests or markers etc or its useless background filler.

It's like someone saw the Destiny Grimoire (which already kind of sucks) and said, "We can do a shittier version of *that*. At least those used to be bite-sized, IIRC.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I haven’t played a new MMO for more than 10 hours since Rift launched. And even then I started like a month late. But I loved the class building on it, liked the dungeons, loved the PvP. Then I just line of fell off after a bit bit when it was fun, Rift was great.

anyone play rift early on and this? Any similarities. I want so bad for this game to be good enough that I play it and buy a new Pc for it.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game has some addictive qualities but lacks in a lot of ways. It was not initially designed to be an MMO and it shows. I would think Rift was a better game. The only reason this game will not sink outright is the shear lack of anything new to play for a long time now. This game is just good enough. It will be up to the developers as to whether or not this game comes full circle to something players truly enjoy and stay with.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like they know it's trash and nobody will care about it save like the 0.1% of players that feel the need to read everything.

I only opened them for the exp, didn't read any of them.

Game lore can be interesting sometimes, other times I just don't care.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven’t played a new MMO for more than 10 hours since Rift launched. And even then I started like a month late. But I loved the class building on it, liked the dungeons, loved the PvP. Then I just line of fell off after a bit bit when it was fun, Rift was great.

anyone play rift early on and this? Any similarities. I want so bad for this game to be good enough that I play it and buy a new Pc for it.

Honestly, rift was better, but it was also designed from the start as a themepark MMO. This game switched to a mmo pretty late and is trying to catch up. As of right now, I personally would not make any long term plans around it. Your best bet was the previous beta to play and see if its worth the 40 bucks and how ever many hours to you.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob

RIFT has decent dungeons and raids at launch. New World on the other hand, only has a few dungeon and no raid.

New World offers in depth crafting and built for PvP original, where RIFT was a full blown PvE MMO.

I don't think these two are comparable imo

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was reading a Reddit post and the poster was saying how it seems like if a single faction (likely a mega guild) decided to take over a server, it would essentially wipe out that server. People responded by saying that it's okay, because eventually people would switch factions so they could have PVP.

But...isn't it limited to 120 days for faction changes? If so, that means for 4 months after launch we could see a server dominated by a single faction. And there's no fucking way anyone is going to give enough shits to stick around on that server 4 months from release. More than likely is that more people will pile into that faction to get the benefits and further lock it down.

This seems like a glaring issue. I'm now concerned I pick a server and end up on the minority faction and the game just becomes not fun. All the towns will be shit (I think you only get the bottom 1/4 quests from the town boards if you're not the owning faction; could be wrong), the taxes will be absurd, and generally the game is going to suck.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was reading a Reddit post and the poster was saying how it seems like if a single faction (likely a mega guild) decided to take over a server, it would essentially wipe out that server. People responded by saying that it's okay, because eventually people would switch factions so they could have PVP.

But...isn't it limited to 120 days for faction changes? If so, that means for 4 months after launch we could see a server dominated by a single faction. And there's no fucking way anyone is going to give enough shits to stick around on that server 4 months from release. More than likely is that more people will pile into that faction to get the benefits and further lock it down.

This seems like a glaring issue. I'm now concerned I pick a server and end up on the minority faction and the game just becomes not fun. All the towns will be shit (I think you only get the bottom 1/4 quests from the town boards if you're not the owning faction; could be wrong), the taxes will be absurd, and generally the game is going to suck.

That was my main concern coming from that beta. Faction imbalance. I really hope they add something that keeps it somewhat even, but I have feeling they wont. Mainly because players will then whine, make videos etc about "I can't play with my friends", like they do when games try to control server populations. Players are lemmings and should never be left to control population balance.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider

Pretty sure its 120 days each time you switch but you can switch immediately (except you cant roll the most dominant faction).

Faction imbalance is still a big issue though and it seems like every server is going to be Purple vs. Green if beta numbers continue over into live, with the occasional rare server that has a yellow pop.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Everyone is human and everyone has access to everything, so what's the point in choosing one faction over another?

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Everyone is human and everyone has access to everything, so what's the point in choosing one faction over another?
RP, Gang Colors, Faction armor style. I don't know if the faction armor all has the same appearance at cap but at the lower levels it's a pretty significant difference.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess that's my question. Does everyone have access to everything if you're in a town owned by an opposing faction?

The only one I noticed was the town board seemed to only give out that bottom right 1/4 when I was in a different town, but I'm not sure if that was a faction thing or something else.

If things like taxes and crafting stations aren't impacted by opposing faction, then it probably isn't a huge deal.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess that's my question. Does everyone have access to everything if you're in a town owned by an opposing faction?

The only one I noticed was the town board seemed to only give out that bottom right 1/4 when I was in a different town, but I'm not sure if that was a faction thing or something else.

If things like taxes and crafting stations aren't impacted by opposing faction, then it probably isn't a huge deal.

I didn't get into it really deep but one thing I did notice, if your faction owns two adjacent areas, you can move things from one bank directly to the other or straight to your inventory. Which is really nice if into crafting and when you move from one hub to another. I didn't check if you can craft using materials stored in another towns storage that way though.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From what I have seen, on Suddene server anyway, faction power seemed pretty balanced overall. Early on purple held almost every contested zone, while green and yellow held just one. Then purple took over yellows zone and had almost everything damn near. But then green started pushing back eventually taking back yellows zone as well as taking like 2 or 3 of purples, pretty much evening the two. Yellow was down pretty bad, but held on to at least 1 zone the entire beta almost.

Purple was pretty dominant in world pvp, as there was always more purple than anyone else, but green held their own too. It was a good fun pvp experience I had, and I wasnt expecting much. So overall yellow was the weakest faction but I dont see a problem with an underdog faction. People will eventually migrate to it. I saw it happen with green in just a week.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been playing Bless Unleashed since it launched the other day and the amount of New World commentary going on in that game is pretty surprising.

• 1Worf