New Year - old game! 2019's 1st RGOTM let' start!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

Start the discussion - what game would you like to see for 2019's first retro game of the month?

If you have not joined us for this month's retro game - Final Fantasy I !!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Sword of Hope
20181215_101141.jpg

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Not too obscure (which killed some old RGotMs) but just off the beaten path enough that many here may not have played it.

It's a wonderful game, some argue that it's the greatest platformer of all time. Not that I would go that far, but some people do say it!

Siliconemelons

As we just did / are doing and RPG this month- people typically will want a "break" or something different so- a nice platformer could be the choice- but we will vote next week.

So start getting in more suggestions!

On platformer games that maybe NOONE has played - that is actually fun (imo) and really good..

I will nominate:

Wario Land - Virtual Boy

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
bonks adventure, nobody had a tgfx 16 either

• 1Like

Szlia

If I have it and have not already beaten it somewhat recently, I'll play it. So at this point only The Sword of Hope (despite its extremely extremely familiar cover art) and The Sword of Hope II are out. Against my better judgement I kinda want to vote for Wario Land as I never played it and it's one of the 6 VB game I own (there are only 22 in total though), but .... yeah... I am not sure how others would play it too. Is that thing emulated at all?

fanaskin fanaskin well... I am almost an OG since I bought a Turbo Duo in the early '90s. I guess I would have been a true OG if I bought a PC Engine before that, but I went NES (PAL) -> Game Boy (JP) -> Super Famicom (JP) -> Turbo Duo (US) -> etc, etc, etc.

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
All 3 of the games suggested so far are great. I played and beat all of them (I even enjoyed Mario tennis for the vb and telero boxer!).

Id vote for smw2 or bonks adventure. Or maybe Ristar if we want to go kinda obscure it's part of the Sega classics so easily gotten on steam, switch etc.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
plok.jpg

this is another really good SNES platformer, more obscure. Shigeru Miyamoto really liked it in it's early development stages, and he almost signed himself on to the project. however, around that time was when SMW2: Yoshi's Island entered development. he decided they were too similar and figured he should just work on the Mario franchise game instead.

the only thing that bites about Plok is there are no saves. gotta do the whole thing in one run! so it ends up frustrating when you're first learning it, but once you get the hang of it, it's really great and uniquely fun.

nice writeup / screenshots: Plok! – Hardcore Gaming 101

• 1Like

Szlia

Well.... In my NES backlog I have Wrath of the Black Manta, A Boy and His Blob (puzzle platformer I guess?), Ghost n' Goblins (not easy), Batman: Return of the Joker and for a more well known choice: Super Mario Bros. 3. Technically I also have Super Mario Bros. 2 but the last time I tried to play it the cartridge ended up mysteriously flying out of the NES....

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I'd be down for a boy and his blob. I had that game as a kid and played multiple times but never beat it. Either of the Mario games are cool with me too.

Did we do donkey Kong country already?

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

You know what was a great "action" platformer - multi game...

SNES StarWars ESB and ROTJ - If I could have the hoth battle and take out ewok speeders and put in both vader fights, that would be the best.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Reading this thread reminded me of Toe Jam and Earl. Pretty sure that was a platformer in the Genesis?