Ni No Kuni II

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So as I slowly develop more Weeab habits... this game apparently comes out this month. My woman was telling me how she loved Ni No Kuni and I had never heard of it. But a studio ghibli JRPG could be pretty cool and the first one had rave reviews. That being said Persona 5 was my GOTY last year and I loved it.

Can anyone provide some more insight on if this will likely be a good buy?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The first game had a good story, great visuals, and was fairly good.

My major gripes: AI FUCKING SUCKED. Seriously, they'd blow all their Mana (or whatever the resource was called) immediately and with reckless abandon. I got so tired of it that I farmed the op dinosaur and one shot every enemy the rest of the game.

Handholding by drippy was obscene. You'd see a block of ice and know you had to cast fire to melt it, but Everytime drippy would say "hmmm, I wonder if we have something HOT that can MELT this ice??"

Other than that, I thought it was great.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

My major gripes: AI FUCKING SUCKED. Seriously, they'd blow all their Mana (or whatever the resource was called) immediately and with reckless abandon. I got so tired of it that I farmed the op dinosaur and one shot every enemy the rest of the game.

Handholding by drippy was obscene. You'd see a block of ice and know you had to cast fire to melt it, but Everytime drippy would say "hmmm, I wonder if we have something HOT that can MELT this ice??"

The one video I looked at explained this game has radically different gameplay then the first one. Real time not turn based.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah 2nd one looks way better than first one. First one had amazing visuals obviously, solid music, pretty good story considering the theme(very children friendly stuff) but combat was both pretty boring and pretty annoying, so it wasn't like a super great RPG imo, but it was solid. But as I said 2nd one looks a lot better, the combat looks quite a bit better and there's a lot of nice improvements from the little I've watched of the game(I don't like watching 25trailers and feature videos before the game even releases).

Definitely a must buy for now, especially since it's going to have a PC release too, however I'll probably wait for release see if the PC port is messy and stuff. And while it looks good, you never know so I'd wait for some reviews too, maybe a few days, I wouldn't preorder. Have to remember that the game was supposed to be coming out like 6months ago and was pushed back 3 or 4 times so they might have had severe issues with it, hopefully it's all fixed and the delays were to make a good product but you never know with video games.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Yeah drippy killed the game for me, never finished it. Even while not in combat he had the most redundant dialogue that would never end.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The one video I looked at explained this game has radically different gameplay then the first one. Real time not turn based.
I thought it was real time on 1 but it's been several years since I beat it. The story and visuals were pretty good .Sad story and a bit kiddy, but mixed with serious jrpg stuff. If the AI was better i would've liked it more

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I remember combat being a mix of real time and turn based. The combat was so bad. The AI was terrible but the fucking collision was even worse. Maybe I've just jumbled it all out of my mind but I remember being able to free roam the combat grids but would constantly get blocked by my team or I would send in someone for an attack and they would get blocked while trying to get to the enemy.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got to the end in the first one then just never beat it. The combat was boring as shit. I had one pet that basically just killed everything easily, so it just turned into a repetitive mash-fest with that one dude. I loved the art and graphics, though. I'll check out the sequel.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you didn't farm the OP dinosaur, game was hard because your AI partners sucked in every mode. If you did farm the OP dinosaur, your partners still sucked but you couldn't really die and could enjoy the beautiful art and story

Also, fuck yeah summoning & flying on a dragon

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't even remember the pet I had, but if there was only one OP one, I think I had it.

Siliconemelons

Sigh... octopath save me... why do we always have to throw in some stupid shit into what could be a classic RPG system.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sigh... octopath save me... why do we always have to throw in some stupid shit into what could be a classic RPG system.

Also never heard of Octopath until now. It looks great though! Thanks for inadvertently bringing it to my attention!

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

He is streaming it now, first two chapters.

His main complaint so far is a lack of voice acting. Majority is text with a word or so spoken before the sentence. Only actual cut scenes seem voiced. Fairly standard jrpg thing though.

EDIT: apparently random voice acting in various places.

Takeaways so far
- Graphically it looks good as expected.
- 60fps on PS4 (PS4 also has 4k and HDR mode)
- Combat is quick and tales like. In dungeons you seamlessly enter combat, but there is a little animation when encountering enemies on the world map
- It looks somewhat easy so far, but in chapter 2 you're still in tutorial mode. There is no difficulty setting.
- Loot drops everywhere. Mobs spray loot. Most seem to be crafting ingredients
- Music sounds great

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Reviews seem to be pointing to a winner on this one. I was a little worried. Sounds like it needs a difficulty slider though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got around to playing Zelda after it was on sale last week. So that will fill my cutesy RPG fix for a bit. This can take a backseat.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Looks like pretty good reviews. Liked the idea of the first one but could just never get into it for whatever reason

Last edited: