Night Vision Binoculars + Spotlights

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
A couple of guys have been messing around on the river where I live (trying to catch ducks, I think) and I'm trying to catch them in the act because fuck if I'm okay with people poaching here. Problem is, when they're out there, I can hear noise, but I can't see shit even with the flashlights I have. Like they'll be on one side of the river and the flashlights I have aren't powerful enough to reach that far.

Obviously I'm not going to go after them, I'm going to call the police. I just need to actually spot them first, see what they're actually doing, and track where they run off to when the police appear in the distance. They've gotten away twice already and then they disappeared for a while, but tonight after a few weeks hiatus they were out there again.

I'm looking for either A) An industrial-strength holding flashlight that'll project a good beam over 150 feet or so because that's about how wide the river is. B) Night-vision binoculars or goggles that aren't expensive but aren't bad either, and will work over that same distance. Or C) Both, because I could use both in general anyway. Night-vision will let me spot/track them stealthily until police arrive, while a spotlight would let them know that they're being watched (and also make me an easier target to shoot at). Ideally I could set down a spotlight on a stand pointed at where they are, then go off to the side and track them if they run off. A spotlight that doesn't bleed light to the sides is crucial because I want to illuminate them, not myself.

Before anyone says it, "just call the police" didn't work 2x. If I hear the weird noises out there I'll go investigate and once they're spotted I'll call in the cavalry. These gadgets will also help me patrol the area at night as needed, and unfortunately with warmer weather it's needed now. Any suggestions are welcome, please.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Or get fancy...

Screenshot_2021-04-18 Streamlight 88704 Super TAC IR Long Range Infrared Active Illuminator - ...png

Then a cheap webcam or phone with the IR filter removed.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Then a cheap webcam or phone with the IR filter removed.

Nice, this could potentially work if I can remove the IR filter on the phone I have now. However, the illuminator does need to be something portable because I'll be nowhere near an outlet. I'll look through them tomorrow.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

This would be ideal since I can also record video with it, for the police.

It'll be weird if I manage to catch the culprit in the act and it turns out to not be people at all...

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If you’re looking at serious flashlights look no further than Fenix. Their flashlights are amazing. Solid as fuck, great customer service, insane outputs. I have a friend who is into flashlights, bought one and ended up addicted to fenix and now has like 15 from them. Another buddy got on board as well and bought their 9000 lumen flashlight. That things fucking insane, you turn that on at night and it’s like the sun came back out.

I own a couple of the midsize flashlights and they are fantastic. Any time someone uses one they’re like “wtf this is nice!” My kid was using it for frog hunting one night, was funny this insanely bright spot walking around the pond compared to the other kids who looked like they had candles.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
What you gonna do when you realize it’s a bunch of dudes meeting up in the woods for sex?

• 1Mother of God

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Get a thermal scope. It's better than IR in that it doesn't require an illuminator. Since you sound like a poor for not thinking of that yourself, buy on amazon so you can do all your work in the return period.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
How do I sound like a poor? I mean right now I kind of am one, but wat?

In any case, I'll probably grab a Fenix 9000 lumen and maybe also those Nightfox goggles.

And it probably will turn out to be something super-weird. Like Pagan sacrifice or a pile of dudes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How do I sound like a poor? I mean right now I kind of am one, but wat?

In any case, I'll probably grab a Fenix 9000 lumen and maybe also those Nightfox goggles.

And it probably will turn out to be something super-weird. Like Pagan sacrifice or a pile of dudes.
If you are concerned about money just get a 3000 lumens one with a long beam. 3k is still really bright. The 9k lumen is overkill, I mean its so bright you can blind humans permanently with it.

Edit: Jesus Christ they have a 12k now.

This 3k is on sale for $70 which is really damn good for a Fenix 3k.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you are concerned about money just get a 3000 lumens one with a long beam. 3k is still really bright. The 9k lumen is overkill, I mean its so bright you can blind humans permanently with it.

I already ordered this one when you posted this, and was gonna cancel it to get that Fenix. However it turned out that this did the trick nicely:

This thing can illuminate the other side of the river as if it's daytime. I didn't even need to use the infrared goggles (just gonna return them unopened) because I already found the culprits without them:

It's a bunch of raccoons, and they're fucking with everything in the woods and making a racket.

Well, on one hand I'm relieved it isn't poachers out there. On the other hand... it's fuckin' raccoons. Well, they aren't my problem until they start messing around closer to where I live, but I still need to notify somebody.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I'm a flashlight bro now?

I just ordered that. Thanks for posting. I was getting lost in all the sauce on their site.

• 1Like