Nintendo Entertainment System

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
I'd like to see if this thread will generate interest and talk about strictly old-school straight up NES games.

I'll start with a game I still play at least once every month or two.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

This game is so fucking awesome. It has insane strategy that was way ahead of it's time. There doesn't ever seem to be an end to the game because even though you might end up ruling the entire country, you could just leave 1 enemy state alone and just keep playing and as the years go on, your rulers die and more people keep showing up. It, to me, is one of the best and most innovative video games of all time. My cousin and I played the same campaign, every night, for almost 3 weeks straight (albeit, after school, 3-4 hours a night, not like hardcore MMO style), and finally his Cao-Cao died and eventually this Cao-Pi mother fucker showed up who must be an "ultra-rare" find and he was able to take over his legion with no loyalty lost. This won't make any sense to anyone that has never played this game seriously, but, anyway...

NES Thread.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Baseball Stars, Paperboy, and every Mega Man game... I played a lot of Marble Madness too. My mom bought me an NES for Christmas when I was 3 and I was already beating Mario and shit at that time. I have A LOT of memories with that Stadium Events game that used the power pad, also now one of the rarest games in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Events- some copies selling for 40k

edit: of course, I traded Stadium Events in at Funcoland a long fucking time ago, for like 10$ probably

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
i remember renting a game called metal mech: man & machine when i was a little kid and being really fascinated by being able to get in and out of your vehicle. i also remember the game being really hard and me giving up on the 2nd level. still a really cool game.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
Star Tropics gave you a secret code in the instruction book that you needed to beat the game. Fucking amazing game. There was no Google to find the code back then. If you didn't keep your instruction book, you had to call the Nintendo Hotline and pay like $20 for a long-distance call to get them to give you the code.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dragon Warrior I (came with my first Nintendo Power) I still play this sometimes and Galaxy 2000 a fun spacy hover craft game. Star Tropics was a great rental for me.

*edit* Actually I think DW I was like my first EQ, when I played the next dragon warrior games I could never get into them as they weren't "DWI". It's now how I feel about MMO's, I will still play the shit out of that game.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
First time I played Final Fantasy 1, I just received the FF1 Nintendo Power and I was sick with the Flu so my mom of course excused me from school and she went to "Video Land", our local movie/game rental place and rented it for me. Still one of my favorites to this day just because of that for sure.

Battle of Olympus. Came out after Zelda 2 I'm pretty sure, was a side-scrollerish RPG and was pretty badass. I haven't played it in years and I think that's my next ROM download. Just making this thread and talking about old games reminded me of it.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
Dragon Warrior I (came with my first Nintendo Power) I still play this sometimes and Galaxy 2000 a fun spacy hover craft game. Star Tropics was a great rental for me.

*edit* Actually I think DW I was like my first EQ, when I played the next dragon warrior games I could never get into them as they weren't "DWI". It's now how I feel about MMO's, I will still play the shit out of that game.
The thing about the next few DW games was you got a bigger party and they followed you around and shit. Honestly DW2 and 3 were pretty badass as far as I remember.

Now that we're talking DW, also, Breath of Fire 1 & 2. More RPGs I need to go back and re-live.

edit: Now that I think of it, maybe Breath of Fire was SNES? I don't remember exactly without googling.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
Metal Gear. Whoa. I borrowed this cartridge from my friend who lived a few blocks away. I couldn't beat it so he came over one weekend for a "slumber party" with a few other friends and we all beat it together.

Kid Icarus was also pretty awesome. Played that a shit ton with the same cousin that I played Romance of the 3 Kingdoms with.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
Blaster Master
After I watched the one dude's "speed run" of Blaster Master I lost, for some reason, a lot of respect for the game, because I thought it was so awesome back then. Suddenly someone found a bunch of exploits and beat the entire game in like 20 minutes or something retard mode stupid.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
It was. And it was amazing.

Was Blades of Steel on Genesis? The one where you could fight a whole shit load? I think it was.

xrg

Golden Squire
I play more NES games than I do new releases. I've done runs through all these this year (probably forgetting some):

Zelda I and II.
All the Megamans
Ninja Gaiden I and II
Bionic Commando
Contra
SMB (all of them)
Blaster Master
Batman
Journey to Silius
Metal Storm
Adventures of Lolo

What is weird is I remember NES games a lot better than I do even SNES games. Even after not playing it for ~20 years, I could still get all the way to the last level of Ninja Gaiden without dying. Yet if I play Mario World, I usually have to check a guide to remember where all the Ghost House exits are.