Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I question the quality of that article.

Links an image of a console then says...
"I have no idea what the next-generation NX looks like, but I?m confident it doesn?t look like this"

or

"This suggests that Nintendo?s target AV capabilities may be a bit stronger this time around"
As opposed to going backwards?

I wish there was some ethics in gamer journalism.

No way this comes out before 2018, I mean it takes them 3 years to make a Zelda game for the WIIu and I still doubt it hits stores before xmas.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I thought there was already a thread for this but ... OK. It's not completely awful but they area always a day late and a dollar short. I'm more interested to see what the NX handheld will be.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
The NX is the new handheld, right?

If so, I really do hope they put some effort into the tech. The $40 Moto E I was forced to use for a few months before I upgraded could play games that looked far, far better than anything my 3DS puts out. And that's $40 without contract.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The NX is the new handheld, right?

If so, I really do hope they put some effort into the tech. The $40 Moto E I was forced to use for a few months before I upgraded could play games that looked far, far better than anything my 3DS puts out. And that's $40 without contract.
Not as described here, no. They are both (apparently) tagged NX but the 'handheld NX' is just the next gameboy. Hell we're lucky we got those in color before 2010 with Nintendo's reluctance to keep with the times.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not as described here, no. They are both (apparently) tagged NX but the 'handheld NX' is just the next gameboy. Hell we're lucky we got those in color before 2010 with Nintendo's reluctance to keep with the times.
So they're continuing with horrendous naming then

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I hope the handheld isnt tiny and i dont have to wait a year or more for an XL version before I get one.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I was under the impression the handheld was to be a part of the console. Basicly a step up to the current WiiU gamepad that would allow it to operate independantly. I hope thats how it plays out, i would get so much more play out of my WIIu if i could go 100% remote with the gamepad. As it is set up right now, If i leave the room i disconnect.

This is from Polygon in Oct 2015, I am not going to link it becouse "Polygon" so YMMV

"The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors."

If only the WIIu gamepad would connect anyware in my house as long as it share the same Wifi connection as the main box.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My guess is they will try to integrate and make the handheld the same thing. There's really no point to the Wii U gamepad if you have a 3DS XL that could basically do what it does.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
There are a ton of rumors floating around about this thing. The most interesting rumors that I saw on 8chan were that NX would have full backwards compatibility with all Nintendo consoles and that it doesn't plug into a TV. In essence, you have a box and a Wii U gamepad, and the box streams the game to the gamepad. (The Wii U already has this functionality.)

Of course, these are rumors from completely anonymous sources with no credibility given. So take that into account.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So far there's basically only been rumors, some more credibles than others, but not a single thing was confirmed or should be taken seriously, regardless. Other than the NX does exist, Nintendo confirmed that. Wait for E3 for actual news, until then it's just fucking click bait shit.

spronk

FPS noob
I am fairly certain NX isn't going to get released until 2017 and its going to vastly disappoint everyone. It'll probably get announced at E3 this year but not much more than a "here's our plan".

There is almost zero chance at release in summer 2016, from just tape-out to sku 0001 is ~4 months, and to produce at least 1 million units you are looking at another 2 months. so tape-out would have to have been finished already, and in this day and age that kind of stuff leaks out.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I am fairly certain NX isn't going to get released until 2017 and its going to vastly disappoint everyone.
Maybe. Nintendo seems to be unfocused: game delays, vague nx details, late to the ap market, weak amiibo support, partners with DeNA, announces tv and film and theme park plans...

If Nintendo can't get it together, the Wii U's library wouldn't be the worst swan song.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They don't even understand the internet. Seriously, they haven't even logged into any other console to do market research and figure out what's possible.

100% if they can't figure it out quickly the handheld market will be overrun by mobile devices, even with their own doing since they are going to start porting games to Android/iOS. They need to stop trying gimmicks and make good games.

spronk

FPS noob
Ubisoft: We believe NX will recapture the Wii audience | Games industry news | MCV

article_sl said:
Ubisoft is the first Western third-party publisher to pledge support to the NX by announcing a Just Dance title for the platform. The announcement was made on stage during Ubisoft's E3 press conference and EMEA boss Alain Corre told MCV that the firm is working closely with Nintendo on the project.

"We have always appreciated the relationship with Nintendo, the co-creation and the fact that they are really concentrating on quality - they have fantastic brands," he told MCV at Ubisoft's E3 booth in Los Angeles.

"And they are addressing the family market in a very different way, their own way, which we appreciate. We have done a lot of products and successes with Nintendo in the past, and we believe that the NX will recapture a lot of the lapsed Wii players. So we will see when they release it, but we are confident."
Hmmm.... family market in a very different way is not an inspiring thing to say

spronk

FPS noob
Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers Eurogamer.net

article_sl said:
Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.
iyk68.jpg

Smart play by Nintendo since they have zero ability to compete with home consoles really anymore, but can't say I am that enthusiastic about basically another android console. No BC, carts, handheld focus means another library that is pretty much first party only and shitty mobile ports.

Power wise its going to be a joke six months after launch when Scorpio and Neo are out and are 2-10x more powerful. Hell by mid next year I imagine a $50 android phone will be way more powerful.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So it's going to be an underpowered tablet without the versatility of a tablet or the advantages of a home console. Sounds brilliant.