Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Siliconemelons

I will sell you one "online" for 25% mark up and wonder over to walmart and buy it off the shelf lol

Yet nintendo has yet to restock the friggen NES classic

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Switch has basically sold every console that Nintendo has delivered to stores up to this point. It's supply-constrained, so there isn't really any conclusions you can make from it either way. By this time for the Wii U (6 weeks), it's sales had already started to nosedive because it had no killer software at launch - it never recovered.

Because of the Wii, Nintendo manufactured 10 million Wii U's right out of the gate for it's launch so if you wanted one you could get one in every region, and it took them years to sell all of that stock.

And if Nintendo had made 10 million Switch units you'd be able to buy one anywhere as well. That's kinda my point, selling out a supply constrained amount isn't a big deal. In fact it's absolutely par for the course. Virtually every console that's ever had limited supply has sold out at release.

What I want to know is how these idiots go from 3 million sold at launch to predicting over 100 million sales lifetime? If you added up the total sales of the 3DS and Wii U you wouldn't hit 100 million. In fact of all the consoles ever released, which is in the triple digits, exactly five of them have hit 100 million sold.

Anyone who was around during the Wii launch knows the hype for that thing was way bigger than the Switch hype, and it lasted for years. There is no way in hell the Switch outsells it, or even comes close. These predictions reek of people desperate to have Nintendo relevant again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean, the problem is the Switch is not the Wii. Zelda is a fanboy title draw and will undoubtedly sell well but the Wii had party/family room games literally in the box. I also think it being a portable necessarily puts the image of a 'selfish' gaming device like the Shield/PSP/DS/etc. It may have TV capability but that's not what you see when you look at the box and at $400+ to do anything with the system it's not an attractive 'toy' buy.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Wii U wasn't supply constrained at all. I worked at Gamestop when that came out. It always sold relatively slow after the first two or three weeks.

The Switch isn't going to do Wii levels. But I can see it doing really well. Especially when you take into consideration price drops, bundles, different models, and all that shit that they generally do over the years. It'll also depend on how they go about it. Will the Switch just be upgraded over the years rather than dropped for a new console? Nintendo could just keep upgrading the tablet part over the years rather than go to new generations and follow nvidia's roadmap. Who the fuck knows at this point? I will the say the thing will probably slay in Japan. It's perfect for them at every level.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
CEWKlMNl.jpg

it'll also depend on far the switch minor flaws penetrate the gamerverse. I don't think the joycon, scratching, or bending issues are that significant but just like ME:A got pretty tainted quickly by the memes, if the switch starts getting those negatives always attached to it people are going to be a bit more hesitant.

Also at E3 this year who knows what surprises we could see. I sorta doubt it but if Sony or Microsoft announce any sort of portable xbox or PS4 that will sell this holiday season that basically rips off the switch idea (portable screen, dock, detached controller) but also plays digital ps4/xbone games it would really crush holiday switch sales. I don't really expect this to happen and both companies to have basically withdrawn from portable games but ya never know.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I do not see Sony/MS making a portable version at least not yet(maybe next year), MS has put all it's money into Scorpio(but lack of games has me scratching my head at it, probably see more at E3.)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
A garbage console which will now compete with Scorpio and the possibility of a next gen Sony console, and up and coming VR technology

I'm not denying that the Switch has issues, but I doubt they see themselves as competing with Scorpio or whatever Sony's next move is. From Nintendo's perspective their advantage is in portability, and they're unique in that regard. They're deliberately not chasing the high power end of gaming tech. Those assumptions are accurate in my case. I'll absolutely buy a Switch eventually and have zero interest in Scorpio. I couldn't care less about 4k gaming, or living room gaming in general. My primary TV is a) controlled 99% of the time by my wife and kids and b) is 720p with no plans to upgrade since the human eye can't see the difference anyway from where our couch is.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm not denying that the Switch has issues, but I doubt they see themselves as competing with Scorpio or whatever Sony's next move is. From Nintendo's perspective their advantage is in portability, and they're unique in that regard. They're deliberately not chasing the high power end of gaming tech. Those assumptions are accurate in my case. I'll absolutely buy a Switch eventually and have zero interest in Scorpio. I couldn't care less about 4k gaming, or living room gaming in general. My primary TV is a) controlled 99% of the time by my wife and kids and b) is 720p with no plans to upgrade since the human eye can't see the difference anyway from where our couch is.

What's your furthest distant view from the display?

Also, the portability is lacking since the 3DS didn't require a second device to matchmaker and lobby.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I think they do see them self as a scorpio or next gen competitor and that is why they didn't wait 6 an additional months to release the console and actually have other games beside Zelda to play on the system. The switch is being marketed as a console and not a handheld device.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
And a God awful one at that. What kind of company thinks it's even feasible in this day and age to place a multiplayer service defendant on a second fucking device outside of the console.

Captain Suave

Interesting info, though his assumptions about the quality of most people's vision are optimistic. According to that, 20/20 vision at 12 feet puts you able to detect something like a third of the way between 720p and 1080p for my 37'' screen. While I could achieve an upgrade with a larger screen and/or higher resolution, I wouldn't actually spend any money on it. My kids don't need 4k to watch YouTube. Almost all my personal media consumption is done on on my UHD computer monitor or phone/tablet/laptop in bed.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You also have to take into consideration all the other improvements in tech over your current tv. The difference will be huge for you. Resolution is just one part of what makes a picture good. Since you are so on the fence, wait till black Friday or Super Bowl to buy your tv.

Also there are going to be a bunch of 1080p tvs with HDR this year. I think all of the Sony ones will have them. If you are still rocking 720p you might as well go 4k though since you don't seem to upgrade your tv often. HDR is a big fucking deal and if set up correctly you will notice a huge difference.

Captain Suave

you will notice a huge difference.

While doing what? I can count the monthly minutes I use my TV on one hand. I'm sure I consume about the average amount of media for my demographic, but I don't do it in the living room. There's no doubt newer TVs are a step up, but what would the point be? I could buy a nicer car, too, but since I work from home and only drive it to the local elementary school and grocery store that doesn't provide value either.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but my original point was that the console-equivalent power of the Switch is essentially meaningless for someone like me since I'll never be in the market for Scorpio or PSWhatver. New games I can play in bed, though? Yes, please.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
While doing what? I can count the monthly minutes I use my TV on one hand. I'm sure I consume about the average amount of media for my demographic, but I don't do it in the living room. There's no doubt newer TVs are a step up, but what would the point be? I could buy a nicer car, too, but since I work from home and only drive it to the local elementary school and grocery store that doesn't provide value either.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but my original point was that the console-equivalent power of the Switch is essentially meaningless for someone like me since I'll never be in the market for Scorpio or PSWhatver. New games I can play in bed, though? Yes, please.

Should own a 3DS then. Since it has a huge library and all the games the switch has for themost part at also half the price because, hey let's charge double the price for a fucking indie game.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Some indie devs are taking advantage unfortunately. If Has Been Heroes could release a physical copy for $20 on Switch, then these companies are just using the launch shortage to charge higher prices. They know what they're doing.

As for resolution, it's kind of weird. I have an old HDTV that only goes up to 720p in my room. I play my Switch on it and the games look alright, but nothing mind blowing. Especially Zelda. But the living room has a much newer TV and Zelda looks like a different game on it. I'm guessing that scaling technologies in TVs have just gotten a lot better since the time when HDTVs were new. I'm not a tech guru on TVs so I can't tell you.

I'd like to get a 4k TV one day, but will probably wait for more features and price drops.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Some indie devs are taking advantage unfortunately. If Has Been Heroes could release a physical copy for $20 on Switch, then these companies are just using the launch shortage to charge higher prices. They know what they're doing

Or nintedno is fucking their roytalties.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
As for resolution, it's kind of weird. I have an old HDTV that only goes up to 720p in my room. I play my Switch on it and the games look alright, but nothing mind blowing. Especially Zelda. But the living room has a much newer TV and Zelda looks like a different game on it. I'm guessing that scaling technologies in TVs have just gotten a lot better since the time when HDTVs were new. I'm not a tech guru on TVs so I can't tell you.

I'd like to get a 4k TV one day, but will probably wait for more features and price drops.

When I was first looking at 4k TVs I was concerned about the quality of non-native content since 4k isn't really widespread, but anything 720p or higher looks much better than it does on my 1080p set which was one of the nicer sets available when I bought it two years ago. The tech has really come a long way in terms of just picture quality but the scaling is where the biggest difference is IMO.