Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I like the idea of it in theory but I think most/all the issues Palum Palum raised are going to be a problem. I still might buy one of they can hit $300 with all the accessories included other than the classic controller but it will depend entirely on what Atlus announces for it. Their games are all I own for my 3DS and other than the new Zelda I don't expect that to change.

I'm in the same boat. I've bought every Nintendo system since the original, except for the Wii U, and I'll probably buy this one too if the price is around $300. Nintendo just makes so many solid games that are just fun to play. I'm the only single guy left out of all my friends, so the thought of my friends coming over to my place to hang out and play Mario Kart or Smash Brothers and relive some high school and college rivalries is enough for me to want to buy the system. Throw in a Zelda, a Super Mario, and hopefully a Metroid, and a Castlevania, and a chance (just praying here) at another Contra, and sign me up.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's outdated when compared to the PS4 and X-box 1, which both came out almost 5 years ago now. So if it's weaker than two systems that are now 5 years old, which is an eternity in the computing field, it's outdated. For a portable it's not as bad, but it's still relatively outdated technology.

Outdated isn't the word you are looking for here. The tech is definitely underpowered compared to the current consoles (although not much behind the XB1), but "outdated" would imply they were using components/technology developed in the past - but this is cutting edge tech for mobile devices, an offshoot of Nvidia's newest chip architecture. Nintendo isn't competing with MS/Sony on graphical power, and hasn't for over a decade.

Malkav

French Madman
Lol, Bethesda and 2K Games won't even confirm if the Skyrim and NBA 2K ports are really planned releases.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Outdated isn't the word you are looking for here. The tech is definitely underpowered compared to the current consoles (although not much behind the XB1), but "outdated" would imply they were using components/technology developed in the past - but this is cutting edge tech for mobile devices, an offshoot of Nvidia's newest chip architecture. Nintendo isn't competing with MS/Sony on graphical power, and hasn't for over a decade.

Gotcha. Yeah, outdated wasn't the proper adjective. Underpowered is more accurate. Like I said, not a deal breaker for me, as it's not just a home console, but the primary use for me would be with my television. Still, I do travel fairly frequently, so I would get some use out of this. Question: can this stream movies/tv shows, or does it just play video games?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Gotcha. Yeah, outdated wasn't the proper adjective. Underpowered is more accurate. Like I said, not a deal breaker for me, as it's not just a home console, but the primary use for me would be with my television. Still, I do travel fairly frequently, so I would get some use out of this. Question: can this stream movies/tv shows, or does it just play video games?
Well it's Nintendo so who knows if it'll do anything but video games. Don't think they've said anything about something of the sort yet, but the initial reveal was definitely focused on the gaming aspect(and local multiplayer/portable stuff) so there might be more.

There's still too much unknown so far about the console, will have to wait a few more months before we know exactly what we're getting.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Probably want people to double dip.

Similar reason to why PC isn't getting RDR2. It's basically dickery.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider

Wii U has most the streaming apps I believe, so I don't see why not.. Netflix, Crunchryoll, Amazon, Hulu. It's probably up to those companies to make new versions. You can also stream Twitch and Plex via the Wii U's browser.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think this looks pretty good. I use my PC to play games with super high quality graphics and get immersed in worlds and whatnot. I play my Nintendo consoles when I want to chill out comfortably and relax a bit. I doubt I would carry this thing outside my house, but I can absolutely see myself moving it around the house. For example, chill outside on the balcony with a beer when the weather is nice, or seamlessly move from the living room TV to my bed when I want to play at night before going to sleep (or someone kicks me off the nice TV). I actually found myself using the Wii U's portability in that way a lot more than I expected, and this seems like an evolution on that.

Color me excited. My main concern is going to be with their launch line up. They need to have several franchise games ready to go at launch.
Sums up my feelings. I would love a semi portable console like that. The controller part seems to be the only thing I'm worried about.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least it looks like it has bluetooth this time. Even as a portable I can see myself sometimes using the stand and a pro controller. And my personal most hated thing about the 3DS is the lack of BT stereo audio.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Golly gee, can't wait to play a five year old title on Nintendo's latest console.

Nintendologic

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
If the price is $349 or less I'm snagging this for the dozen or so 10+ hour flights I have to take a year. Any console exclusive gaming outside that is gravy. I saw From is a listed partner for this so the idea of getting to play even a remake of any of the souls game on it between NV and NY makes me tingly.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So not backwards compatible, 720p upscaled to 1080p?, unknown battery duration as of now and the dock is just a dock to connect to tv but has no other real functionality?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
So not backwards compatible, 720p upscaled to 1080p?, unknown battery duration as of now and the dock is just a dock to connect to tv but has no other real functionality?

Current rumor is 3 hour battery life.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'm hoping for 4 or 5 hours. The problem with mobile right now is that battery technology is stagnant as fuck. If it really is 3 hours then I at least hope that someone will make a bigger battery.

I have other concerns that would seem silly to most, but it's Nintendo. Like the fact that I don't see a port for the charger on the tablet unit itself. Hopefully it's on the bottom side because there's no place for it on the top that I can see. I also get the feeling that the charger will be proprietary, when letting people just use their cell phone chargers would be so much better (apple is guilty of this stupid bullshit as well). Hopefully the SD card slot is on the bottom for memory expansion as well.

There's a lot of shit to worry about. The idea is cool as hell, but we don't know what version of Tegra it's using nor any other actual spec information for sure. We can be sure that it's stronger than the Wii U a few times over at least, but I think most were hoping that it would at least hit near Xbox One level of power. I can see Japanese developers being all over this thing's dick, but I don't see big Western devs on it accept for indie devs.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Based on absolutely nothing i would like to add

idk maybe physics?

It's not unreasonable to compare it to similarly equipped tablets with similar dimensions. You are not going to get triple the mAh out of a cell just because it's got a picture of Mario on it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
But bro it has a CUSTOM OS with access to NVIDIA API'S. Obviously it will have a 12 hour battery life. Also, Princess Peach will blow you while you play in fantasy land.

• 1Like