Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm guessing each controller has to have some kind of battery to be able to be used apart from the tablet right? Bluetooth or something that requires power. Maybe they augment the tablet battery when attached?

All in all, it looks pretty solid. I won't have to buy 3DS games and console games from them anymore. Their development will no longer be split. There won't be as many gaps in their lineups. Seems smart for them. Maybe they can add upgraded docks to boost power down the line. The design has potential.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, I don't think the dock will be upgraded. I think eventually they'll sell better versions of the tablet part. So basically you just replace that every few years.

Also, Amiibos are supported.

spronk

FPS noob
3 hour battery life is based on the dev kit, final versions usually improve a bit but I doubt we'd see more than 4.5 hours out of it. Thats not that different imo from existing, 3DS and vita are both rated at 4-5 hours.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
idk maybe physics?

It's not unreasonable to compare it to similarly equipped tablets with similar dimensions. You are not going to get triple the mAh out of a cell just because it's got a picture of Mario on it.
Physics of what? You don't even know the dimensions

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Physics of what? You don't even know the dimensions

Yea, just impossible to guess...

cvj259cxyaemjcw-jpg.93747.jpg

gallery02-jpg.93814.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
As unconfirmed as your virgin status. Both are safe assumptions, imo.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
both bombed pretty hard. i don't see why the switch won't either, while the nintendo diehards and techno-nerds who buy anything new (like me) will buy this , most kids nowadays are getting hand me down phones and tablets and I don't see any of them pining for this vs a PS4 Pro or Scorpio so they can play GTA and COD and Battlefield and Destiny with their friends

Might depend on the age, a few years ago my friends kids who are young (like 7? 8?) asked for 3DSes not tablets.

Xalara

Golden Squire
My wife loves her 3DS, but she said she won't be buying the Switch. Why? Because it won't fit in her purse unlike a 3DS. Looking at the images I'm in agreement with her. The Switch seems like it's too big to truly be portable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
My wife loves her 3DS, but she said she won't be buying the Switch. Why? Because it won't fit in her purse unlike a 3DS. Looking at the images I'm in agreement with her. The Switch seems like it's too big to truly be portable.

I suspect that eventually there will be a near phone sized model. Iwata did say that the NX was going to be a family similar to Apple's idevices. If she doesn't want the Switch system, I'd say tell her to hold out for a while as the chances of a smaller unit in the future are pretty good.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well I'm not surprised. They managed to discover the tablet format a decade late and their gimmick systems have done nothing for them long term. Everyone loved the old systems that just had solid games at a good price and ever since they gave tried to compete with bullshit they have struggled.

Not to mention, after the brief bubble from Pokemon Go and the idea that they might open up the IP and deliver some meaningful content to the hundreds of millions of smartphones they once again appear to be going full proprietary.

I honestly don't know where their leadership is other than on perpetual vacation or maybe addicted to opiates (or both).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Nintendo stock drops 7 percent after Switch reveal

Not a very positive start for Nintendo's new system...

This is a Sony PSP, except with a formal dock and not a TV out cable. 12 years of massive technology advances have allowed Nintendo to... add removable side controllers?

Again, the interesting part isn't the mobile technology pretending to be a console. It's Nintendo's still pretty great development teams not splitting their efforts between two systems and not wasting years putting out games that are near clones of one another (Mario Kart 7/8). That said, you are only going to be buying this for Nintendo-made games again. 4GB (less usable) is way less than the 6GB usable on the PS4/X1, and dooms ports of most real games even before any power differences.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Nintendo stock drops 7 percent after Switch reveal

Not a very positive start for Nintendo's new system...
Don't wanna read polygon, but did it drop 7percent compared to their stock before the announcement, or since? Cause their stock rised a lot when they announced they had an announcement a day before, so...

On the size, it does look bigger than a 3DS, but not that much so? If you remove the pads the screen size seems to be fairly similar in size to a 3DSXL. I guess if we're talking normal 3DS maybe, but in terms of carrying it around, you wouldn't really need to count the space taken by the controllers on the sides as you can undock them and put them in your bag. Total space is still the same but it's less large this way.

Anyway it doesn't look like it's gonna be a massive success based on the general feedback I'm seeing in various places, but I think the games lineup would be quite a major factor at least for the gamers part. If they actually have some good games on there it might sell better than expected.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That said, you are only going to be buying this for Nintendo-made games again.

Negative, Atlus games. Until the Treehouse building is burned to the ground and the earth salted where it stood I have little hope for Nintendo's own games or series they publish like FE.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Don't wanna read polygon, but did it drop 7percent compared to their stock before the announcement, or since? Cause their stock rised a lot when they announced they had an announcement a day before, so...

On the size, it does look bigger than a 3DS, but not that much so? If you remove the pads the screen size seems to be fairly similar in size to a 3DSXL. I guess if we're talking normal 3DS maybe, but in terms of carrying it around, you wouldn't really need to count the space taken by the controllers on the sides as you can undock them and put them in your bag. Total space is still the same but it's less large this way.

Anyway it doesn't look like it's gonna be a massive success based on the general feedback I'm seeing in various places, but I think the games lineup would be quite a major factor at least for the gamers part. If they actually have some good games on there it might sell better than expected.

It dropped 7% after the announcement. I think in most circles people were less than impressed with the reveal.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I travel a lot for business so this could be nice. But my Wii U was such a shitty purchase I'm still salty about Nintendo.

Siliconemelons

Nintendo "We have a reveal! tomorrow!!"
Stock ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*tomorrow* ta da! here it is!
Stock +++++++++++++++++++
Oh its coming after Christmas
Stock WTFBBQ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did you even tell us! just give us some Zelda or some other stuff to shove under the tree yo!