Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
the good news: NBA 2k18 on switch is supposed to be a good port as far as features, probably a little downscaled gfx wise
NBA 2K18 for Switch has same content and modes as PS4 version, amiibo support confirmed - Nintendo Everything
Update: Another important detail has come in. NBA 2K18 will run at 30 frames per second, while the PlayStation and Xbox One versions are 60 FPS.

2K Sports and Visual Concepts seem to be treating the Switch version of NBA 2K18 well. Folks are starting to go hands on with the game, including USgamer, and we’re hearing that it’s feature complete and will be identical to the PlayStation 4 version. NBA 2K18 players on Switch can expect the inclusion of MyGM team-management, MyLeague, MyCareer, Story mode, and everything else. It’s the same engine across all platforms.

amiibo support is officially confirmed as well. However, the specifics are being kept under wraps.

The only element missing in the Switch version of NBA 2K18 is the ability to create a custom logo for Pro-Am teams. The same MyPlayer story included in other versions is here though.

As far as graphics go, animation and AI are also the same across all platforms. Developer Visual Concepts apparently pushed Switch and its memory to its absolute limits. The team considered whether or not using the same engine made sense, but they’re glad they went in that direction.

the bad news: switch carts max out at 32GB right now, NBA 2k18 will REQUIRE a microSD card to store additional data. you won't be able to run the game without a microSD card.
Nintendo Switch Games May Require Memory Cards to Experience All Content - IGN

I mean it really shouldn't come as a huge surprise but I think it is going to really limit the number of non first party AAA games that make it to the switch. I don't consider it a big deal at all, I have zero interest in buying AAA non nintendo games that I could instead play on my ps4/pc/xb1x, but I wonder how it'll effect holiday sales in NA/EU, assuming Nintendo could deliver units. Also wonder what happens if NBA 2k18 doesn't sell well on switch (cuz ppl just buy it for their home console).

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Zelda BOTW is 14gb with all it's DLC, how could they not get NBA 2k18 compressed below 32?

Pretty sure Macronix (who makes the carts for Switch/3DS) can make carts in any size, it's just going to cost too much to be worth it over a certain size.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Zelda BOTW is 14gb with all it's DLC, how could they not get NBA 2k18 compressed below 32?

Pretty sure Macronix (who makes the carts for Switch/3DS) can make carts in any size, it's just going to cost too much to be worth it over a certain size.

Because BotW has 3ds quality textures and audio?

Also NBA 2K17 was upwards of 70gb, so squeezing the new version to 32gb wasn't going to happen. The better question is why Nintendo thought 32gb of hd space was acceptable for a new console?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
32gb of Internal Storage(can't swap it like a hard drive), and only 4gb of Internal LPDDR4 ram.... + whatever bloat is coming from Nintendo's OS, they have never been the best at optimizing. Also I bet they are having throughput issues already, cause of all the limited space.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Because BotW has 3ds quality textures and audio?

Also NBA 2K17 was upwards of 70gb, so squeezing the new version to 32gb wasn't going to happen. The better question is why Nintendo thought 32gb of hd space was acceptable for a new console?

Because it's NAND flash memory and is way more expensive per GB than say the hard drives in the other consoles or your computer.

Remember the Switch is basically a tablet - check out the price difference between a 32, 64, and 128gb tablet. They'd have to pass that cost increase on to the consumer, or give the option to upgrade the storage yourself easily and cheaper with a microSD card.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Because it's NAND flash memory and is way more expensive per GB than say the hard drives in the other consoles or your computer.

Remember the Switch is basically a tablet - check out the price difference between a 32, 64, and 128gb tablet. They'd have to pass that cost increase on to the consumer, or give the option to upgrade the storage yourself easily and cheaper with a microSD card.

KLMBG2JENB-B041 BGA

The NANDs they use for the Switch, 35$ don't forget that they also get a "bulk" discount so it's even cheaper then that + ordering straight from Samsung.

It is not as expensive as you think.

And another point, the "base" size of BoTW is only 9.52gb, the lastest update is 2.48gb, and the Master Trials DLC is 938mb, all stored on the NAND i bet, it is not safe to give the Switch write access to a cart, too much of a risk for a system to shut down, and accidentally erasing the data that is on it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider

I realize it's basically a tablet, but it's also expected to play console level titles, which are going to be much larger than traditional handheld games. Just think about the average gamer's library for any given console. Now imagine how many SD cards people would have to own to hold that same amount of games on the Switch.

It's just another example of them having to sacrific in order to fit this handheld/home console hybrid. More style over substance. It's also why 3rd party support was never going to be as robust as they led people to believe at the reveal.

• 1Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I mean, yeah? If there was no sacrifices for portability, then every console would be.

It plays games at 1080p60fps in a 1 inch thick form factor. That means battery life and storage have to be sacrificed. Having people buy a $40 SD card isn't much of an ask - most the 3DS users who bought a Switch already have them for the same reason. It's not financially or technically possible to have something the size of a Switch with the same storage as a PS4 or the battery life of an OG 3DS.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I mean, yeah? If there was no sacrifices for portability, then every console would be.

It plays games at 1080p60fps in a 1 inch thick form factor. That means battery life and storage have to be sacrificed. Having people buy a $40 SD card isn't much of an ask - most the 3DS users who bought a Switch already have them for the same reason. It's not financially or technically possible to have something the size of a Switch with the same storage as a PS4 or the battery life of an OG 3DS.

The reason every console isn't portable is because of those sacrifices. Only Nintendo thinks sub HD resolutions, stereo audio, and shit for storage makes for a next gen system. The kick is, the vast majority of people who own the damn thing don't even take it out of the house, which means they could have easily had more storage, power and the ability to move it around the house.

And it plays very few games at 1080/60. Also a $40 SD card is the tip of the iceberg for anyone with more a few standard console games. Games are pushing 40-70gb each these days. You're either going to be re-downloading patches, over Wi-Fi no less, every time you want to play a different game or you're going to have to own multiple cards.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
"32 gigabytes ought to be enough for anybody." - Nintendo's Billru Gatesan, 2017

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The reason every console isn't portable is because of those sacrifices. Only Nintendo thinks sub HD resolutions, stereo audio, and shit for storage makes for a next gen system. The kick is, the vast majority of people who own the damn thing don't even take it out of the house, which means they could have easily had more storage, power and the ability to move it around the house.

And it plays very few games at 1080/60. Also a $40 SD card is the tip of the iceberg for anyone with more a few standard console games. Games are pushing 40-70gb each these days. You're either going to be re-downloading patches, over Wi-Fi no less, every time you want to play a different game or you're going to have to own multiple cards.

There's no reason for Nintendo to make a 3rd home console - MS and Sony already have that covered. If they wanted to sell units, they had to do something to differentiate themselves.

Most don't take it out of the house in the US, but that doesn't mean they aren't using it as a portable. Either on the couch when someone else is using the TV, bedroom, etc. That's mostly how the 3DS was used in the US as well.

It can be both a docked console or a portable - it serves both markets. That's why it is selling so well. Japan uses it mostly as a portable, the West will see it mostly as a console. It's like 10x more powerful than the 3DS which is ultimately what it will be replacing now that Pokemon and Nintendo's other portable games are in development for it.

• 1Picard

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Been trying to find a reason to buy this but seems like a bad idea, not to mention everywhere has it like 60-80$ higher than retail, comes with no games, seems like has no memory. I liked that it was portable cause I go to my gf's a lot and would liek to bring it over there with ease, was hoping for maybe some wii tennis type games on the switch but sounds like I should wait.

I do have a 128gb sd card tho. decisions decisions, is there wii tennis? thats all i need!

spronk

FPS noob
Its really just a question of whether spending $400 or so is worth it to you to play BOTW (portable), Mario Kart 8 deluxe (slightly better than wii u version), and Mario Odyssey on 10/27. I thought owning a PS4 was great JUST for TLOU and Bloodborne so for me it wasn't that hard to justify buying a switch just for those 3 games.

The rest of the switch "exclusives" are pretty lame, if you have a kid who is 4-11 years old then splatoon 2, ARMS, and Rabbids is great but for any regular adult there are like 50 better games to play on ps4/xb1/pc, I couldn't fathom why a grown ass adult would rather play splatoon 2 over Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, PUBG, etc. I guess if you travel a lot and can only game portable its a great solution, but if you travel a lot you are probably single so may as well bang chicks in different cities and get your own splatoon wet.

btw there's a way to get a b2g1 coupon on used games at gamestop, and a lot of the gamestops around me have used copies of BOTW, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and even a few have Rabbids already (weird). I picked up used copies of Splatoon 2, ARMS, and MK8D (own it digitally, gonna trade it in to pay for the other two) at a local gamestop last night.
NFf2w7BKbEuSk44Z7-7ndrysoub2V2QPUcs6ibXCXLqITEQcRCyYqxbxG4TSb8ClVPRuUhK3AdAZskgW9ZSrf-tTvRJ5MV9IlQ9vLExGBSR0f4ZtCL2BQCOtn1bjdoSkBUMxXw=s0-d-e1-ft

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Been trying to find a reason to buy this but seems like a bad idea, not to mention everywhere has it like 60-80$ higher than retail, comes with no games, seems like has no memory. I liked that it was portable cause I go to my gf's a lot and would liek to bring it over there with ease, was hoping for maybe some wii tennis type games on the switch but sounds like I should wait.

I do have a 128gb sd card tho. decisions decisions, is there wii tennis? thats all i need!

Where do you live? These things are all over the fucking place collecting dust now in the US on store shelves. Christ, there are over 500 just here in the Twin Cities Metro Area alone between Target and Walmart.

Live Stock Map and Notifications | iStockNow

If you are anywhere but Japan, you won't have an issue finding any.

Gamestop isn't even selling out of their low priced One game bundle anymore without all the other bullshit accessories you have to buy. And these ship in less than 5 days.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles/nintendo-switch?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2412-1e8

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There's no reason for Nintendo to make a 3rd home console - MS and Sony already have that covered. If they wanted to sell units, they had to do something to differentiate themselves.

Most don't take it out of the house in the US, but that doesn't mean they aren't using it as a portable. Either on the couch when someone else is using the TV, bedroom, etc. That's mostly how the 3DS was used in the US as well.

It can be both a docked console or a portable - it serves both markets. That's why it is selling so well. Japan uses it mostly as a portable, the West will see it mostly as a console. It's like 10x more powerful than the 3DS which is ultimately what it will be replacing now that Pokemon and Nintendo's other portable games are in development for it.

The Switch is going to get it's ass kicked. (It is already happening now)

Stock is everywhere now - and they aren't fucking selling. Yes, I am sure the next huge bump for console sales will be when Mario Odyssey comes out - but after that, it's absolutely jack shit in the face of an Xbox ONe X launch and plenty of high profile 3rd party games (and some first party knock out sellers for PS4 next year) and it will decimate the clueless out of touch with reality fuckwits across the pond in the executive offices in Japan.

You can blame this on no VC, a shit multiplayer service, hardly any 3rd party support (Yet again no matter what these clowns at Nintendo boast) and in all actuality, a shit portable which is too large, hard to control for anyone above 4'9" with more than small hands, and shit battery life.

All this is right now is what Nintendo will ever ONLY be. A first party software company who designs half baked hardware for the staunchest of Nintendo fanboys who think the sky isn't falling perpetually for the rest of their lives, chasing down Wii hardware sales. They won''t get it. Wii was a fluke of which DAMN NEAR ALL OF IT'S SUCCESS was outside of Japan. Japan only accounted for 11% of Wii Sales world wide. They may be having success in Japan, but last I checked they are a global company. They should start playing with the Joneses.

Take the blinders off already.

Last edited:

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I check this thread for updates hoping for some good news and always end up seeing Ut's play by play (which has largely remained unchanged). Goddamnit Nintendo.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Where do you live? These things are all over the fucking place collecting dust now in the US on store shelves. Christ, there are over 500 just here in the Twin Cities Metro Area alone between Target and Walmart.

Live Stock Map and Notifications | iStockNow

If you are anywhere but Japan, you won't have an issue finding any.

Gamestop isn't even selling out of their low priced One game bundle anymore without all the other bullshit accessories you have to buy. And these ship in less than 5 days.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles/nintendo-switch?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2412-1e8

Hah, oh boy. I live in tampa florida.. I had checked gamestop but said none nearby for pickup, bestbuy was on pre-orders but wasnt $300, amazon only had for like 359 for the multicolored remotes.. I mean this thing comes with no games I dont want to pay 360 vs 300 then have to buy a game on top of that.

The bundle is cool I guess but I kind of want to get one in person cause I'm so on the fence about it already.

But ya I want it as a two player fun type console, like the wii was for me in college. Am I gonna be disappointed? Figured you could use the two joy sticks like wii remotes and hoped they had like tennis or something but mario kart seems like a fun 2 player game.

cool stock website, gonna check that out. guess my walmart does have some, some reason it was trying to make me pay $388 to some online retailer instead but the stock website says they have a few for 299. I hope I can 2 player this thing out of the box + buying mario kart, we'll see =p

Last edited:

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sure Ut lives in bum fuck nowhere so no shit there is stock EVERYWHERE (around his bum fuck nowhere town).

• 1Picard