Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

koljec_sl

shitlord
carts just drag on portability, and a portable without phone capability just means one more thing to carry.

what is the point of their eshop if they are going with carts?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So it's going to be an underpowered tablet without the versatility of a tablet(but with Zelda) or the advantages of a home console. Sounds brilliant.
ftfy

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I assume the carts will be flash storage rather than an old school cartridge. Only reason I'll buy it is to play the new Zelda, other than that it sounds stupid.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
My NES and my SNES are currently hooked up, and I can play any of a plethora of fantastic titles at any given moment and have a great time.
My N64 I can't play because the analog stick on every controller I have is broken... Those controllers were shit.
My GameCube is fine. but it's not worth hooking up for the handful of decent games I can play on it.
I'm never touching my Wii again because battery-operated motion controllers are the work of the devil.
Never bought a Wii U but I borrowed my brother's and have used it almost exclusively for Mario Maker.

I'm a lifelong Nintendo fanboy but there have been issues with every console after the SNES, so if they want my attention for the NX they're really going to have to up their game. Frankly, I'd much prefer if they abandoned hardware altogether and just developed games for other platforms/PC, but as of yet I have seen nothing about the NX that interests me.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They are, only reason I haven't sold my Wii U yet. Doubt the NX port of it will look/run much better if today's rumors are true.
That and no one is buying.... ;P

I don't regret mine due to MK8 fun, but I don't think it was a smart buy.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
That and no one is buying.... ;P

I don't regret mine due to MK8 fun, but I don't think it was a smart buy.
Yeah I bought my Wii U to play Xenoblade X and haven't touched it since. Though I lucked out and Toys'R'Us sent me two Wii U units when I only payed for one lol, so basically got a Wii U for free :p

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'll wait and see before I judge it. I just don't see how it can have two controllers attached to it. They can't be comfortable controllers.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'll wait and see before I judge it. I just don't see how it can have two controllers attached to it. They can't be comfortable controllers.
Eh, take a Wiimote, give it a real joystick (as opposed to a cross) and round the edges more. It won't be that bad, and there will undoubtedly be a Pro-style controller.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with this set of "reveals" - the dark rumors for a while were that there were two devices (console and handheld), and that while games would work on both, you'd have to buy them separately, as opposed to this, what Nintendo should have planned as soon as the Wii U was DOA. The guts aren't great, but let's face it - Nintendo has been doing the backwards compatible halfsteps (DSi, New 3DS) longer than everyone else...

(I just wish Nintendo would flat out say it isn't backwards compatible with the 3DS (which seems extremely likely with the different chip families) so I can go and pick up one of those - I've been sitting on doing so in case the NX had BC.)

As to carts: do you have any idea how big even a 720p game can be? Vast swaths of the world don't have the level of internet needed to download multiple games in a month, whether because of caps or limited bandwidth in general. Physical media isn't going anywhere this decade.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think it could be pretty cool. I think it's worth it for the first party titles depending on the price.

If they could some how make all 3ds games playable on it then it's a homerun.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
With no dual-screen not too sure how they would get DS/3DS titles to work on it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey, I called it. Like almost completely.

Me in the E3 thread on 6/14/2016:

They just need a beefier handheld with a HDMI port on the back to plug into your TV. That's all Nintendo has to do. Maybe a small port on the front for a controller jack or two. Or have a wireless controller.

Make a modular system that plays a clearly second tier in graphics level of games on par with handhelds that you can buy a couple of peripherals (or none, just an HDMI cable) and you can play it as if it was on your TV. The touch controls can go away, or you can leave the bottom screen stuff... on the bottom screen of the "controller." Add in a Nintendo style Console Caddy stand for when it is being used as a console, and have the HDMI port override the top screen and a wireless/wired override for the touch screen features/controls when plugged in/connected. Voila. You now no longer have to have two different devices, Nintendo doesn't have to support two clearly different demographics individually, and finally people can play pokemon without having to use emulation software or a handheld to do it.

Too bad I don't think Nintendo thinks that way. The NX might incorporate some of that, but I doubt they are going to make it that easy. I fully expect lots of stupid gimmicky shit, which Nintendo has been known for.
Now if only the horsepower on this thing was enough.

They could easily make it 3DS/DS compatible for home use by having the screen be a touch screen and it acts as the "Bottom" screen for the backwards compatible titles while the TV/Main screen acts as the Top.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
With no dual-screen not too sure how they would get DS/3DS titles to work on it.
They'd just have you hold it sideways - I believe the 2DSes are already one single screen under the casing, it just ignores touch inputs on the top half. Holding the controller halves would be a bit troublesome though while the screen is standing.

I do have one major complaint that I forgot - I continue to think it should have just been a superset of Android. Now Nintendo has to hope that developers of the Android/iPhone craze of the month will port it quickly to the NX (or end up doing it themselves), hope they can get crosschat going, etc.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
The only good I really see is that this will combine Nintendo's output on one system. Their biggest problem is that they were always split between two systems. But now that they're going all in on one, there shouldn't be many (if any) droughts.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I ll get it whatever it is. If it's a real portable, stronger Wii U that can handle near PS4 graphics I will be happy. My biggest issue with the Wii U was the hard drive and the horrible range.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
It won't be near PS4 graphics. The Xbone isn't even near PS4 graphics.

Please stop giving these idiots money for their horrible consoles.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It won't be near PS4 graphics. The Xbone isn't even near PS4 graphics.

Please stop giving these idiots money for their horrible consoles.
100% Truth up above. Except the 3DS. I liked that one.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
ya, if its 'near' PS4 quality it will be burning your hand anytime you try to use it as a portable unit unless it has some sort of laptop type cooler attached to it.