Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So there are only 4 games available for US launch, everything else is 'launch window' (which is apparently a full calendar year from launch the way they're using it) ? lol.

Zelda
1-2-Switch
Just Dance
Skylanders

Most everything else is TBD or has vague release dates.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Here is what Nintendo needed to do, and they didn't.

Nintendo Switch bundled with Zelda - $249.
Pro Controller: $39.99
Games Available at Launch: New Metroid, New Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash. At Launch.
Games to be coming by the end of the year: New Pilot Wings, New Animal Crossing, New Castlevania, New Luigi Mansion game.
Games to be coming by the summer 3rd party: Fallout 4 GOTY Edition, Witcher 3 GOTY edition, pick your poison for a 3rd party you would want to play mobile.

Full USB 3.0 drive support (They do not even have USB 2.0 External drives drive support yet as of today)
No Charging for Online Multiplayer (They are charging for online and suck at it beyond belief, but in addition to that, are releasing an app that for full functionality you will have to pay for the companion app too!)

I mean honestly, I hope this is all a planned implosion. I mean, it has to be. No one can be this stupid.

That's the mind blowing part. I just don't get it. They have to be some extremely intelligent people at Nintendo but i'm going to assume (think you have to) that in Japan or some marketshare is absolutely addicted to these gimmicks and their associated games. I am assuming Nintendo is more in touch with that playerbase but I just can't see that as being reality. Surely exactly what you outlined above and others have referenced is exactly what people would have expected and ultimately want.

I do believe that even though Zelda will once again have a parallel release, it will still drive the Switch. That's just the nature of the gaming community. You and I (and others here on the forum) may be willing to get the WiiU version but I would think most want the latest version on their most recent hardware and be able to play it on the go.

BotW Master Collection appears to be sold out or unavailable. Really depresses me. I'm going to wait it out though and see if more come in. Gamestops are taking very limited preorders and ours is currently getting hammered.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They did the same thing with Zelda at the Wii launch which turned out to be a huge success. Then again that was a November launch and people weren't bored to death with the gimmicky motion tracking shit at that point.
Twilight Princess was delayed on Gamecube, didn't release at the same time as the Wii. It dropped like a month later after the fanboys had already purchased a Wii for it.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
That's the mind blowing part. I just don't get it. They have to be some extremely intelligent people at Nintendo but i'm going to assume (think you have to) that in Japan or some marketshare is absolutely addicted to these gimmicks and their associated games. I am assuming Nintendo is more in touch with that playerbase but I just can't see that as being reality. Surely exactly what you outlined above and others have referenced is exactly what people would have expected and ultimately want.

I do believe that even though Zelda will once again have a parallel release, it will still drive the Switch. That's just the nature of the gaming community. You and I (and others here on the forum) may be willing to get the WiiU version but I would think most want the latest version on their most recent hardware and be able to play it on the go.

BotW Master Collection appears to be sold out or unavailable. Really depresses me. I'm going to wait it out though and see if more come in. Gamestops are taking very limited preorders and ours is currently getting hammered.

Well, if they didn't hop on board with a Wii U I can see them buying the switch for Zelda (Although that's pretty ridiculous considering most will want to play with a Pro controller - So out the door, to play Zelda (Nothing else matters in the launch line up) that's $299 + 59 (47 GC/Prime) + 70. With or without GC/Prime that is going to be over $400 out of the door to latch on to a console with tech from 2008. Without knowing if they will support USB 2.0 Hard Drive functionality. With a pay online service that hasn't been demonstrated but yet starts billing in October. Possibly one or two games coming out that would support it anyway. A "Free game" you get a play for a month, and a month only, as a premium member - with a paid for app to access a scheduling package for matchmaking (Who the hell does this anyway? And regardless, it's free functionality right now with Sony/MS) along with a horrible portable gimmick, short battery life, horribly small joy controllers, with functionality and applications that everyone is laughing at. (Who the hell is going to have four friends all huddle around a 7 inch screen. Seriously? They think this is what customers want??)

There are seriously no words for the complete fuck up of this console launch. This even dwarves MS's debut of the XBox One.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

giphy.gif

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Catching up on this thread this morning was pretty funny. So...is this thing shit?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I might've gone for a $299 bundle if it included a real controller and a game.

Fuck Nintendo.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not to change up the conversation too much but I'm going to have a hard time letting go of my WiiU for the Switch because of Nintendo Land, Twilight Princess HD, and a couple of other games. Not to mention the progress made unlocking stuff for Smash and Mario Kart. I know these are all minuscule things but as Ut is saying, it's not really worth it to me to pay for essentially no gain in this process. All I can see is the added ability to seamlessly become mobile but I have no real need for that feature.

I just don't see an overwhelming reason to jump on board for most players. I've said i'll probably get it and preorder some stuff but that's just how it goes when you have kids and grandparents get involved in addition to trading/selling stuff. I think at this time it's a lousy launch. I'll stick to my less doom and gloom perspective but it's still very disappointing.

Here's to hoping by Christmas we have much better price and game catalog.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'll likely do like I did with the Wii U, and pick one of these up 1 - 2 years after launch when the price is reasonable (for what it is) and the library of exclusives/1st party games is actually worthwhile. A year from now I'm sure we'll be able to get a Switch bundle with at least one game (probably Zelda, Arms, or 1-2 Switch) for 250 - 300 bucks, and maybe even special offers like gift cards or another free 3rd party game.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Not to change up the conversation too much but I'm going to have a hard time letting go of my WiiU for the Switch because of Nintendo Land, Twilight Princess HD, and a couple of other games. Not to mention the progress made unlocking stuff for Smash and Mario Kart. I know these are all minuscule things but as Ut is saying, it's not really worth it to me to pay for essentially no gain in this process. All I can see is the added ability to seamlessly become mobile but I have no real need for that feature.

I just don't see an overwhelming reason to jump on board for most players. I've said i'll probably get it and preorder some stuff but that's just how it goes when you have kids and grandparents get involved in addition to trading/selling stuff. I think at this time it's a lousy launch. I'll stick to my less doom and gloom perspective but it's still very disappointing.

Here's to hoping by Christmas we have much better price and game catalog.
I think there's zero chance of a price cut by Christmas. Seems like they want the hardware to be the cash cow here.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Catching up on this thread this morning was pretty funny. So...is this thing shit?

Oh it's shit. Here are the cliff notes Soygen.

* $300 for the Switch.
* $70 for a pro controller
* Paying for online (Unknown price) starting October 2017.
* Premium online includes an NES/SNES game for a month. And that month only. (lol)
* 4 launch titles, 1 anyone cares about but is also launching for the Wii U on the same day.
* $90 for two extra Joy Con's (Midget controllers no one will be able to use unless they are 3 feet tall and 3 years old)
* 3 hour battery life on the portable
* As of now, no USB 2.0 external HD support but it "Could" happen
* Mario coming supposedly in Holiday 2017 but we all know it will be delayed
* A companion app to help utilize and navigate their paid for online service, which they will charge for (They are charging for the companion app for a service they are also charging for)
* Nintendo thinks people will bring this to parties to break the ice with people they do not know. That revolves around 4 people huddling around a 7" game pad which has a stand to play 2/4 local split screen coop.
* 3rd party support is laughable. Some guy from EA mentioned FIFA 2017. Skyrim in the Summer (Scaled down)
* A shooting game in which you do not even look at the screen, but the other player while in a room. And the gamepad tallies the score or something.

The presentation was absolutely the worst presentation I had ever seen in gaming. My wife was next to me who isn't a gamer and said, "Are you serious right now? Why are you watching this." I said, "Zelda", she said, "Oh. Oh look, that's coming on the Wii U you already have. So you can buy it for that?" "Yep." Then she watched the portable part and said, "3 hours of battery life? Wasn't that something that went away with laptops from 1996?" "Yep." Then some crazy Japanese guy got on screen and we laughed for about 5 minutes at the absurdity of it all, and then she said, "You aren't as big a nerd as I previously thought. These guys take the cake"

And there you have it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
according to gamespot the WIi U version of Zelda BOTW plays better than the switch version. We'll need to wait for the digital foundry full analysis but thats really, really not good

The game is 13-14 gigs apparently as well, and its going to be ironic that the absolute best version will be running on PC emulated with CEMU with 4k texture upscales.

With switch having 32gb internal, if you wanted to go digital you could hold 2-3 games and then another 5-6 if you bought a 128GB card.

Also apparently the base bundle has no way to charge the joy cons unless you plug it back into the tablet (which has to be in the base). You need to pay $30 for the joy con charging grip to charge the joys otherwise.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
switch base system preorder back up at amazon
Amazon.com: Nintendo Switch: Video Games

red/blue joycon version not up yet
Amazon.com: Nintendo Nintendo Switch with Neon Blue and Neon Red Joy-Con - Nintendo Wii GameCube: Video Games

also up at best buy, neon is sold out but regular is still available for ship or in store pickup
Nintendo Switch - Best Buy

A bunch of stores are doing midnight launches (list on right top popup). You can cancel at amazon/best buy easily up to a week before launch.

Gamestop in store is doing orders as well, $50 down. They are offering a bonus if you trade in an existing console, you get $200 for a ps4 or Wii U, $60 for a Wii (!). Have to trade towards a switch tho

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
according to gamespot the WIi U version of Zelda BOTW plays better than the switch version. We'll need to wait for the digital foundry full analysis but thats really, really not good

The game is 13-14 gigs apparently as well, and its going to be ironic that the absolute best version will be running on PC emulated with CEMU with 4k texture upscales.

With switch having 32gb internal, if you wanted to go digital you could hold 2-3 games and then another 5-6 if you bought a 128GB card.

Also apparently the base bundle has no way to charge the joy cons unless you plug it back into the tablet (which has to be in the base). You need to pay $30 for the joy con charging grip to charge the joys otherwise.

That's scary and all of these bits of information are negative signs that may begin surfacing on other areas of the system and games.

switch base system preorder back up at amazon
Amazon.com: Nintendo Switch: Video Games

red/blue joycon version not up yet
Amazon.com: Nintendo Nintendo Switch with Neon Blue and Neon Red Joy-Con - Nintendo Wii GameCube: Video Games

also up at best buy, neon is sold out but regular is still available for ship or in store pickup
Nintendo Switch - Best Buy

A bunch of stores are doing midnight launches (list on right top popup). You can cancel at amazon/best buy easily up to a week before launch.

Gamestop in store is doing orders as well, $50 down. They are offering a bonus if you trade in an existing console, you get $200 for a ps4 or Wii U, $60 for a Wii (!). Have to trade towards a switch tho

That's a kicker for a lot of people. I'm sure they're thinking they can be out of pocked $200 for a new console, couple of games, and a controller then it's a deal. (especially parents with younger kids that will explain this process to them and have no idea except what they're told)

Del

Vyemm Raider
Holy shit, if it's true that the Switch version of Zelda is gimped then this thing is an absolute train wreck. $300 for something that can't even run a Wii U game as well as the Wii U? Fuck that.

• 1Salty

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Personally this thing is DOA from what I saw in the presentation.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
At 200 I would have bought one. I don't own a WiiU but I do have a 3DS that I hardly play anymore.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thankfully around 1996 or I discovered rotten.com and was desensitized to most of this. But if not watching Nintendo publicly set themselves on fire and burning to death in the street while being eaten by a pack of wolves then getting hit by a train would work as well.

This shit is hilariously stupid. And their pride or wtf ever is wrong with them will keep from admitting any mistake and addressing any of these issues. That and weebs lining up to buy this day 1.

• 2Like