Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The Wii U version probably ran at a much lower resolution, and with less details, so it running better isn't particularily surprising. What is surprising is the fact they'd focus on making the game on Switch look better instead of run better. Nintendo has always been pretty good about getting solid framerates on their shit, but going the other way, when you don't have the power to make the games look good versus the competition regardless, sounds pretty retarded. Hopefully they'll unfuck that before launch.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
How is this not bothering you? People saying Zelda plays better on Wii U is a major issue.
I just highly doubt that is actually true. And if it somehow is I also doubt it is because of the power of the console.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

This may add a littler perspective. Doesn't probably answer everyone's questions though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dunno it certainly doesn't look BETTER on Switch. Which is, you know, a thing people look for on the next generation of hardware.

It's a problem that exists because of their retarded pricing more than anything, though.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
That's based on a 7 month old Wii U build, not even really sure that's a fair comparison. Pretty much just waiting for the Digital Foundry breakdown when it releases.

spronk

FPS noob
I wonder how the PSVR ended up doing, I know a LOT of people pre ordered, a LOT of people cancelled, and then people said around holiday days that it was both (1) easy to find (2) impossible to find at stores near them.

Retailers are eventually gonna have to figure out how to let people pre order shit like this and NOT cancel on a whim. While I fucking love pre ordering from amazon/best buy, I currently have 3 switch orders just in case my (extended) family wants it, but 99% likely to cancel in the next 30 days. It pretty much fucks everyone else though, but I had to do it because its gone OOS everywhere now and thats always the way Nintendo hardware works.

There are also currently 1500 switch listings on ebay, although weirdly they are selling for $450-499. Which seems insane, given the price someone paid is $300+tax, ebay takes a 13% cut, you still have to ship it and most of those listings are free shipping ($20-30). So someone paid $330 or so with tax, $30 ship means it cost $360. sell it for $500, ebay takes $60, thats a $80 profit on something you will spend $360. Thats insane to me, especially since there is a high risk of a scam buyer claiming defective item and returning an empty box.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
From what I read the PSVR didn't even come close to Sonys expected sales, but I don't remember the numbers. No one is saying flop as it's too soon and new tech. It time will tell.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Another comparison video showing it a lot longer. Looks pretty close to me with just a different filter used for each version.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Digital Foundry analysis:

Some points(taken from Gaf):

Nintendo Switch
-720p and locked 30fps in handheld mode
-900p and 30fps when docked
-Texture filtering is poor
-Frame-rate drops typically seem to happen when there's depth of field on screen
-Lowest recorded frame-rate is 20fps.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah more and more it seems like the best way to play BOTW will be wait for CEMU to perfectly emulate it and someone to create some upscaled 4k textures. Prob be within 3 weeks of release too I think, since there is literally no other wii u game taking up their time to fix up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It says like 5posts above it runs in 900p when docked. Not sure it runs anything at 1080p.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
IMG_5545.jpe

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
switch can do 1080p when docked (720p in handheld) but its up to devs to make rez changes when in docked or handheld mode. its a bit of a mess really, similar to PS4 and PS4 Pro.

here's the funny rumor of the day: the switch will NOT include a web browser, Nintendo has had massive problems so far with people hacking their systems with browser exploits (3ds, Wii, and Wii U were all jailbroken via their browser) so rather than trying to lock down the security they ... just remove it. This isn't 100% confirmed yet by Nintendo but all demos this week did not include a browser in the UI. Hopefully its just a security feature they put in for demo week but it would be absolutely hilarious and believable if they removed the web browser.

Also streetpass and Miiverse are gone, that has been confirmed. and online features will require a (free) smartphone companion app to invite people to party, voice chat, etc.

Quite amazing.