Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The Switch is going to fall on it's ass. Unless there is some Hail Mary none of us know about.

I mean seriously, how can a company be so fucking dumb?

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
The switch will turn a profit, and be successful

OR

Nintendo will get out of the hardware game like Sega did

win/win either way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
People have been saying they will be getting out of the hardware business for the last decade. Never happens.

Nintendo needs completely new and competent management. When Arm Chairs know exactly what to do to turn a company around it's gotten pretty damn bad and I cannot believe any reasonable person in the world views their strategy and nods their head at this point.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Nintendo is like Disney if Disney was ran by retards. Ungodly amount of bankable IP that they should be making money hand over first but instead they release develop shitty consoles and let monkeys manage their brands.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The Switch is going to fall on it's ass. Unless there is some Hail Mary none of us know about.

I mean seriously, how can a company be so fucking dumb?

Reality seems to be telling us that Nintendo is a company that got really lucky a few times, like a bumbling old fool or something along those lines. Anything you thought was calculated probably wasn't. What a disaster. I remember hearing Miyamoto talking about how nobody really likes or wants online play after both the Xbox and PS3 had their online services launched for several years and wondering if it was a mistranslation or something along those lines. It wasn't. They are fools.

They also fucked up Mario's jumping physics in the iOS game. God what horrible game that is. That's for another thread.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Nintendo is a bloated cow of a company.

I mean some of their decisions have been so bad that I wonder if some of their executives aren't actually suffering from Down Syndrome and the unfocused, incoherent ramblings in the board room are mistakenly interpreted as new ideas for games and consoles.
It reminds me Sony with the PS3 and the fans will do it how we say attitude.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Don't get me wrong--I'd love nothing more for Nintendo to fall on its face and it force the move of my favorite series (monster hunter) back to a decent fucking platform.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
for those interested github changed some official ue4 setting paths - code named wolf wolfsea and wolfair to switch switchconsole switchhandheld,

switch uses the full ue4 pc/console render path- not the mobile one- with the settings set for "2"(high) for plugin mode and "1"(medium) for mobile mode, ALSO, it forces the renderer to scale the screen 66% down for mobile mode (66% of 1080p display is 720p)

so overall from an image display aspect, looks like it will do decent. got this from neogaf:

UE4 graphics setting presets for the Switch found on GitHub

how it all will end up, who knows. pachter says switch is the easiest of the 3 to develop for recently

someone else said that switch run in console mode- is about 75% as powerful as xbox one. somewhere around 1/3rd to one half as poweful in handheld

spronk

FPS noob
Nintendo is a company run with a 100% Japanese focus and once you realize that all its decisions make sense. The top selling games this month in japan for example are Pokemon, Yo-Kai watch (assume thats more pokemon type game), Super Mario Maker 3DS, some more weeaboo games, FF15, and Minecraft. Stuff like Battlefield, Titanfall, Overwatch, sports games, etc just don't register very much so Nintendo gives no fucks about that stuff.

The switch will sell decently for 2-3 years, there are ~10m gamers who buy pretty much everything Nintendo makes eventually. Getting PAST that 10m after 3 years is going to be exceedingly tough for them however and nothing they have done so far indicates any change. They can coast on those numbers for pretty much ever though, just remaking the same few games over and over and over.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
3DS's are still selling out everywhere over the holidays. If the Switch manages to appeal to these same consumers, I think it will be quite successful for them. Say what you will about Nintendo, but they're doing some things very well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
3DS's are still selling out everywhere over the holidays. If the Switch manages to appeal to these same consumers, I think it will be quite successful for them. Say what you will about Nintendo, but they're doing some things very well.

It's like a 3DS only more expensive less portable easier to break lower battery life games cost more and hey but it can go on your TV AND DID WE MENTION ZELDA EVENTUALLY!?!?!

3DS appeals to people who want cheap shit they kind of know about (hey it's that same Mario game I played at age 12) for their kids and to kids who want the newest Pokemon because they can save up their allowance to actually afford a 3DS. Unless this clocks in at $150 launch pricing (HAHAHAHAHAA) I don't see that changing much. Not to say that Switch will sell nothing, but I do not think it is going to make a serious dent into multiple markets with wildly different consumer bases with sub par hardware, shitty launch games and a form factor that neither suits console players or people who want a new Game Boy.

This will easily be a $250 appliance with the selling point of 'oh hey look guys it's like $50 cheaper than a PS4 sometimes!!!'

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I think that they market this will determine if it is a success or not. They really need to say that this is either a console or a handled device. To me from everything that I have read it is a handheld device (a 3DS replacement) that can also be broadcasted to a TV and that is something I am not really interested in.

The hardware says it's a mobile device, nothing really changes that. The dock and related features are an effort to appeal to both crowds is all and unify their platform.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's a company run by complete and utter dumb fucks, who still think it's 1992
They're going to have a pretty awesome New Years.

gavel04.ans.png

I can't wait to hear how much they enjoy Jurassic Park.
Oh, and X-Files. They're in for a world of confusion and conspiracy theory stuff.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
but nintendo says its a console!
Well technically, it's quite an improvement compared to their previous console, so that kinda works out. It isn't compared to competition though.

Anyway don't care either way, I'll buy if good game and I won't if not. It's not like I have to spend money for a console for a bunch more years anyway, I'm not buying any of these PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio bullshit and PS5/Xbox520 are probably far enough. As I get older I care less and less about how good the games look, so upgrading my console just so they look a bit better feels like a waste of money, especially since I only play a dozen or so of games per generation of console it seems like, with the rest being PC games/ports.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's like people who buy some $1800 Macbook Air to run MS office "oh I'm getting too old and I like pumpkin lattes too much to care about getting worked over like a chump teehee I don't care about the specs anymore".

You're still going to pay full price for a late Zelda game like an asshole, let's stop pretending there's some sort of value or savings you're getting by forking over $5 less than a AAA xbox/PS4 new release for games which are basically dated by a decade because Nintendo graces you with 3 % improvements.

Mother fuckers going to discover the WoW exclamation point quest icon and the world wide web ten years after SpaceX lands on Mars. Watch out for the Nintendo AAA Zelda MMO where those fucking idiots try and reinvent the wheel by stumbling around in the dark like fucking retards and become the national shame of Japan. When did Business Seppuku go out of style and how did those idiots survive?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't mention any sort of value or saving from getting a switch, it'll be full price games for new games but the point is, they're new games. You're not buying a new console to play old games there(although Wii U games being re-released could be nice since I didn't buy a Wii U), even if the game aren't as good looking as new games on other platforms. With that argument it's basically saying ALL consoles are fucking garbage because 4K PC gaming(well until Scorpio and shit, but then it'll still be shit compared to the framerate and resolution you get on PC) and modding and whatever. You play PS4/Xbox games not because they look better than Wii U games, but just because they're good games, even though they look worse than most PC games.

I do think Nintendo is retarded on a lot of their decisions and the Switch is definitely not a fucking smart idea and the only real redeeming feature is if they can get their 3DS RPGs on Switch so I can play them on a fucking TV with an actual gamepad instead of playing them on a fucking portable. But still, if they have some really good games, it'll be worth the price for playing those good games, just like the PS4 was worth buying to play the few good games I played on it(well kinda, it'll be worth it later on, atm it's still so so in my opinion). Just a Zelda isn't enough though, even if the next Zelda does look pretty nice.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I just don't see the point of comparing graphics power between consoles anymore. It makes more sense nowadays to compare exclusive games. This isn't the bit wars of old.

I don't care much about the processing power of consoles anymore. If I want a game to look omgwtfbbq amazing, I'll play it on my pc, which will always blow away even the best consoles can offer. I pick consoles based on exclusive games, and as long as Nintendo keeps making awesome exclusive games (see: Mario games, Zelda, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong, etc.) I'll likely get one of these. I waited a couple years before buying a Wii U, and say what you will about it, but I really enjoyed it due to several great games that I was able to pick up immediately and play.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the Switch is in the $200-250 range. I think it's a no brainer buyer. If they go to the IP they didn't make for the Wii U(Looking at F-Zero, Starfox without motion controls, etc..). Insta-buy for me. I'll definately get my monies worth out of the console. I think I've gotten my monies worth from the WiiU too(Online Mkart is excellent, Mario Maker, etc..).

Xbox One not so much, I wasted what $500 on that system. I should have known better. This mini-upgrade cycle has pissed me of a lot too with the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. I'm not so interested in consoles anymore because of that and I have a true gaming PC now. Consoles can die in a fire now for all I care.

Last edited:

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think $199 for the base model and $249 for a system with the game would be the best way to go, but the rumor is that they're going with $249 for the base model and $300 for the system with a game.

As for the specs, according to some people on GAF it seems the system should still be able to run modern games regardless. It seems engines are just that scalable these days. I guess we'll see on the 12th.