Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I'm definitely not buying one at launch. Maybe if Zelda was done by that point I'd consider it, but unless they have some crazy secret project, shit's gonna be terrible at launch. I'll pick one later on, if the 1st party games are good or if they end up porting a bunch of 3DS stuff somehow(but without 2 screens displays it seems unlikely too so meh). I got a PS4 like 6months after launch and in retrospect it was a mistake and I should have waited like 6 more months to get a better price on it because the first 6months I had it I had like 3games on it and could have waited to play these games.

But the AAA games argument and how they'll suck/not be available on Switch sounds so hollow to me, because I actually don't care about most AAA games. The only 2 I'd care about would be Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3(assuming you call it AAA) and both are available on PC. Cod/Battlefield/any other random FPS? Don't care, and most are also available on PC. GTA? Don't care, and I believe it was ported to PC even though it was like a year late or whatever. Assassin's Creed? Don't care, also on PC. Farcry? Don't care, also on PC. Sports games? Don't care. Elders Scrolls/Fallout? On PC. The only reason I own a console for the most part is playing japanese stuff, and even that is starting to get a lot of ports to PC so the console starts to be less and less useful for its exclusivity.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Yeah, if I want actual graphics, I'll stick to my PC instead of forking out cash for a glorified $400 media box. To this date, the only non PC/Nintendo game I feel I've missed out on has been Red Dead Redemption.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Since it's portable I think I'll wait for the Nintendo Switch+ when they redesign it. A little more power, longer battery life, etc.

I don't really care about graphics so much either. I like my 3ds just fine. if the game play is good and I get a Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and some solid RPG's. I have my laptop and desktop PC if I want to get serious about graphics.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, if I want actual graphics, I'll stick to my PC instead of forking out cash for a glorified $400 media box. To this date, the only non PC/Nintendo game I feel I've missed out on has been Red Dead Redemption.
If you only feel like you missed out on RDR then you probably don't pay attention to new games anyways. There is nothing that you missed going all the way back to PS3/Xbox 360 that isn't on PC besides RDR?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
On the graphics thing, the lolconsolepeasant would bitch about it regardless so it's retarded for them to try to chase that crowd. That group always loves to vastly underestimate the cost of a pc equivalent so they will always say it costs too much for what it is.

It only needs to be powerful enough to run their first party games at the level they need. To chase the other consoles or PC would price them out of the more casual market where parents get them for their kids as presents.

The vastly underclocking that they seem to be doing is kind of baffling though

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
On the graphics thing, the lolconsolepeasant would bitch about it regardless so it's retarded for them to try to chase that crowd. That group always loves to vastly underestimate the cost of a pc equivalent so they will always say it costs too much for what it is.

It only needs to be powerful enough to run their first party games at the level they need. To chase the other consoles or PC would price them out of the more casual market where parents get them for their kids as presents.

Except Nintendo is rumored to be pricing them the same as the other consoles. That would be tragic for them but they haven't had the smartest leadership for awhile now.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider

Someone made a good point about it. It's likely underclocked to deal with the various climates. They don't want the thing to burn up in 100 degree weather. As someone who lives in Louisiana this is a valid concern, though I think they overdid it on the downclocking.

Except Nintendo is rumored to be pricing them the same as the other consoles. That would be tragic for them but they haven't had the smartest leadership for awhile now.

Yeah. It really depends on what the thing can do, though. But if I were them I'd at LEAST always be $50 less than the competition. If I were them I'd go $199 for the base model and maybe $249 with a game. They'll know and correct pretty quickly as they did with the 3DS early in it's life.

spronk

FPS noob
we should find out prices on jan 12th but all indications from european leaks are a $249 USD/euro price point, 199 pounds in UK, no bundle just console. Most gamers will also want a $40-50 pro controller too though plus a $60 game, and most likely it will only come with a crappy SD card so another $20-40 for a 128gb microSD card.

hopefully it includes a power adapter LOL

Malkav

French Madman
Someone made a good point about it. It's likely underclocked to deal with the various climates. They don't want the thing to burn up in 100 degree weather. As someone who lives in Louisiana this is a valid concern, though I think they overdid it on the downclocking.

That's just retarted. A Nvidia Shield TV or Tablet using the same SoC at the stock clock speeds is nowhere near overheating. We are talking about a mobile SoC here guys, not a power hungry GPU.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Only thing that makes sense is the the NX wouldnt be able to dissipate the heat due to its design @ full load. Or maybe nvidia gave them a deal on subpar chips that can only handle those clocks?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's just a combination of factors. Heat as well as battery life. It's not really about 'overheating' in the melt down sense, it's about durability and reliable performance. On touch screens, there is also the comfort factor.

Why they chose X instead of Y clock speed who knows until someone tears one open.

Malkav

French Madman
It's just a combination of factors. Heat as well as battery life. It's not really about 'overheating' in the melt down sense, it's about durability and reliable performance. On touch screens, there is also the comfort factor.

Why they chose X instead of Y clock speed who knows until someone tears one open.

Battery life : it's not a factor while docked but the chip is still down clocked.
Heat : this SoC doesn't heat for shit. It's not a factor.

Only reasonable explanation would be Nintendo saving some change by buying lesser binned chips.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Battery life : it's not a factor while docked but the chip is still down clocked.
Heat : this SoC doesn't heat for shit. It's not a factor.

Only reasonable explanation would be Nintendo saving some change by buying lesser binned chips.

OK well I'm having a hard time whether or not I should trust you over the Nintendo engineers.

I mean that... I am actually considering believing some random dude on the internet over the engineers at Nintendo, that is how retarded they are.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
nvidia: For $20, you will get our top of the line NVidia Tegra X1 Pascal
Nintendo: you got anything cheaper?
nvidia: well, for $18 I guess you could go with NVidia Tegra X1 Keplar, but its like 40% worse performance...
Nintendo: what can i get for $5
nvidia: ummm here's some chips that we were going to melt down cuz nobody wants them you'll have to underclock them
Nintendo: PERFECT

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The original shield had battery issues, which potentially could catch fire, my first one was recalled because of it. It also got hot as fuck playing games for awhile on it.

Malkav

French Madman
OK well I'm having a hard time whether or not I should trust you over the Nintendo engineers.

I mean that... I am actually considering believing some random dude on the internet over the engineers at Nintendo, that is how retarded they are.

The original shield had battery issues, which potentially could catch fire, my first one was recalled because of it. It also got hot as fuck playing games for awhile on it.

Keep in mind I'm talking about docked mode. There is no risk of the shit heating up in mobile mode with the chip at 1/3rd of its original clock.

The simple point of reference is the Shield TV, which is a very slim device that doesn't heat up for shit, which I would know because I have one.

Case in point : The NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Review: A Premium 4K Set Top Box

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So it's not officially confirmed yet, but on some websites Zelda's date was moved up to march and apparently there's bundles with the Switch being sold and that Twitter lady that had a bunch of the leaks that were confirmed correct about Switch also said it's being planned to be bundled. I guess they'll reveal that on that shit they're doing in a few days. Should help sell a bunch of stuff if it sells with Zelda on release, especially since the reception for the new Zelda footage from like E3 and what not were really positive from what I've seen(game does look pretty nice).

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It'll probably end up being Windwaker HD Super Ultra Edition or some shit instead of the Zelda everyone wants.