Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
switch can do 1080p when docked (720p in handheld) but its up to devs to make rez changes when in docked or handheld mode. its a bit of a mess really, similar to PS4 and PS4 Pro.

here's the funny rumor of the day: the switch will NOT include a web browser, Nintendo has had massive problems so far with people hacking their systems with browser exploits (3ds, Wii, and Wii U were all jailbroken via their browser) so rather than trying to lock down the security they ... just remove it. This isn't 100% confirmed yet by Nintendo but all demos this week did not include a browser in the UI.

Also streetpass and Miiverse are gone, that has been confirmed. and online features will require a (free) smartphone companion app to invite people to party, voice chat, etc.

Quite amazing.
I'm sure all 3 people that use miiverse, street pass, and Wii web browser will be disappointed.

The online requiring you to use your smartphone is one of the more retarded things I've ever see though

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Nintendo "We have a magical device for voice communication, it's called...A TELEPHONE!!!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Nintendo "We have a magical device for voice communication, it's called...A TELEPHONE!!!"
And you will pay a subscription for it!! You can talk to people and send messages on it!!

Bitch that's what a phone does anyways

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I wonder how the PSVR ended up doing, I know a LOT of people pre ordered, a LOT of people cancelled, and then people said around holiday days that it was both (1) easy to find (2) impossible to find at stores near them.

I'd love to know where they are "easy" to find considering I've seen exactly one in a store since it released, which I bought, and they are literally sold out everywhere online, and have been, since they came out.

From what I read the PSVR didn't even come close to Sonys expected sales, but I don't remember the numbers. No one is saying flop as it's too soon and new tech. It time will tell.

I'm pretty sure it sold as well as Sony expected, or better, considering they have been sold out everywhere since release. If it were selling worse than they expected you'd be able to easily find them.

Having said that VR is in its infancy and won't see huge numbers any time soon. The problem is analysts and VR fanboys expected it to be the biggest thing ever this past holiday which is why you see so many reports about disappointing sales, etc.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider

Yeah, this is confusing the shit out of me to be honest. I could see them put out an app like this to chat with your friends while you're not on your switch and you're away from home, but the function should STILL be on the console natively as well. I don't know if this is just some kind of misunderstanding or what. If this only works on the phone then they've lost their fucking minds. The fact that it currently lacks a web browser and netflix alone is stupid as fuck. Heads need to roll.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm pretty sure it sold as well as Sony expected, or better, considering they have been sold out everywhere since release. If it were selling worse than they expected you'd be able to easily find them.

Having said that VR is in its infancy and won't see huge numbers any time soon. The problem is analysts and VR fanboys expected it to be the biggest thing ever this past holiday which is why you see so many reports about disappointing sales, etc.

I can't say I've really been following it but BestBuy Canada has 24 online (none in store, but that doesn't surprise me since the last time I went in games were relegated to a tiny corner) and EB Games seems to have them in about 50% of stores.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I pre-ordered my Nintendo Switch today. Weird that they make you now also pre-order 2 games with the console, but whatever. I guess you need games to play on the system anyway! The price was right around what I expected it to be (between $250 and $300), and there seems to be a lot of third party support for this system (unlike the previous consoles). I'm not really interested in the portable part of the system (although it will be nice for long car rides and plane flights). Since I'm the only single guy left out of all my friends, they are psyched that I'm getting this and that they can come over and play some Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon, and hopefully a new Goldeneye! One thing Nintendo has always done well are multiplayer games. And obviously, I'm really looking forward to the new Zelda!

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I haven't played a Nintendo game since the fucking GameCube because every system they make is so retarded. Please stop Nintendo. I want to play some fucking Nintendo games again.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
hmm lack of browser isn't gonna change the fact that it will be cracked wide open eventually, I'm curious how long till one gets redone into a printed Case with Screen/Battery removed hahaha fuck your portability

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Since I'm the only single guy left out of all my friends, they are psyched that I'm getting this and that they can come over and play some Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon, and hopefully a new Goldeneye! One thing Nintendo has always done well are multiplayer games. And obviously, I'm really looking forward to the new Zelda!

Ah... but there in lies the problem. While I'm sure we would all be pretty psyched to play these games, none of those games are available at launch and GoldenEye or Smash have been announced.

I also wouldn't say they have done very well with Multiplayer since the N64 with the exception of a few games such as NintendoLand, Smash, and MarioKart. They created a huge multiplayer blunder with Splatoon which seems to possibly be resolved with Splatoon 2 but i'll give you local multiplayer support with Nintendo hasn't been horrible but it hasn't been great and definitely missed the boat in providing an industry standard online multiplayer presence.

I'm trying to be excited and positive as possible. I know i'll get the console and I know i'll probably be fine with whatever but this console needed to be and should have been their redemption console. This should have also been their opportunity to kick the other consoles down the tube. PS4 and XBONE didn't have great years. Even their best games were lackluster and their commitment to VR simply pushes me further away. System have become much less about a gaming experience and more about some other experience disguised as a game. Most of their major titles were unfinished, buggy, and mediocre. Nintendo could have launched a bunch of familiar titles that brought everyone back to their TV and played games again but instead we are all scratching our heads wondering what on God's green earth they're thinking.

I hope they really surprise me come Q3 and Q4 of this year but i'm really expecting a lot of stuff to land sometime in 2018.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
That must be why they have the smallest launch lineup of the past two generations

Name me one console since 2000 that has launched with a huge library, or has launched with more than two or three quality games. When I bought the PS3, I bought Resistance, and that game was mediocre at best, and the graphics weren't anything that were better than what I experienced on my PS2. I don't really care about having 100 games at launch, as long as there's a steady flow of games that continue to come out post launch, and make at least 70% of those games good to great. Nintendo has always been quality over quantity.

The problem with Nintendo recently has been outside of the staple of Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc...) there hasn't been much of anything at all. With all of the third parties that are singed on to make games for the Switch, I don't see that being a problem.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Fuck it, im just geting Zelda on the WiiU and upgrading my PC instead. Ill get the switch later in the year.\

• 1Solidarity

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Will the graphics for Zelda actually be noticeably better than the Wii U version?

Haven't seen a current wii u version of the game yet, but I imagine it's not going to be hugely different. I already own a Wii U so I'll just be getting it on that personally, Switch has been a bit of a turn off overall.

• 1Like

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Name me one console since 2000 that has launched with a huge library, or has launched with more than two or three quality games. When I bought the PS3, I bought Resistance, and that game was mediocre at best, and the graphics weren't anything that were better than what I experienced on my PS2. I don't really care about having 100 games at launch, as long as there's a steady flow of games that continue to come out post launch, and make at least 70% of those games good to great. Nintendo has always been quality over quantity.

The problem with Nintendo recently has been outside of the staple of Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc...) there hasn't been much of anything at all. With all of the third parties that are singed on to make games for the Switch, I don't see that being a problem.

For me this console generation has generally been a disappointment, there really aren't that many good games compared to the prior one. Funnily, despite WiiU being regarded as having a weak library I actually have more games for it than the Xbox One.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wish I could get my Steam Controller to work with CEMU through Steam Link. May try a PS4 controller later. Would be perfect for couch Wii U. Which is dumb beefier I have a Wii U sitting right here.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Haven't seen a current wii u version of the game yet, but I imagine it's not going to be hugely different. I already own a Wii U so I'll just be getting it on that personally, Switch has been a bit of a turn off overall.

I suspect that is what I am going to do as well. Nintendo is screwing this up badly.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm on the keep my pre order for Zelda so far since I don't have a Wii U. I've missed out on enough nintendo games that I need to scratch that itch but damn if I dont feel like a sucker.