Nioh 2 (PS4 (PC in November?))

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ok yeah you are right completely. I forgot about the inheritable skill buffs and those were huge (really probably still are). Because that is one thing I've noticed after 2 DLCs, is the actual stats on the gear (not set bonuses) are pretty tits. Like for me I'm about the elemental weapon damage, and I'm just now getting a full set with the star elemental weapon damage and it is MASSIVE. I just never really dabbled in that because I was mainly glaive and axe AND I used skills that were not usually on that table. And I guess that is what I was trying to say. At this point on Axe in 1, I was doing 20-25k of damage with a Titanic Strength that hit on all three hits. In 2? That is like 5-6k tops.

So with that said I'd say give DLC 2 a shot. It was a massive improvement over 1. The levels were much better. The yokai were much better. Everything about 1 was the classic let's see how cheaply we can stack bullshit up against the player to make it "hard". The crabs with the uber armor. The scrotum with arms that resisted everything (but lightning on both) and had a million HPs. The fuckhead boss that resisted everything and blocked endlessly only to go into a hyper combo that one shot you (fuck him)

And by the way... Moonlit Snow is still great. That was mostly min maxer hyperbole. It still hits like a truck. I think they just slowed down that last hit or something because it still wrecks shit. I've just never liked it as it was too damn slow for me. Now Honda... yeah they ass blasted Honda into oblivion. 28% down to 7% wtf. They also made the fire bird GS buff not stack with other attack buffs.
The problem with moonlit snow is not the damage,. They removed the hyper armor mid attack so damn near every hit staggers you where before you could just face tank your way through even most boss hits. Unless they made further changes in the last few months anyways, it’s been a bit since I’ve played.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with moonlit snow is not the damage,. They removed the hyper armor mid attack so damn near every hit staggers you where before you could just face tank your way through even most boss hits. Unless they made further changes in the last few months anyways, it’s been a bit since I’ve played.
Oh ok. I have never been a fan of it from the first game just because it is so slow. That makes sense as I have only used it on trash mobs.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People who own the games on PS4 should be able to grab the PS5 upgrades tomorrow too.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I ordered the PS5 version for $70...probably would have been cheaper to get the first two for like...$10 and $20 and then downloaded the free upgrades. Oh well.

Been waiting for the PS5 version since the PS5 dropped. Going to hit this hard this weekend. All I've played of either game previously was the first hour or so of Nioh and I really liked the mood of it. I've been wanting a new Souls game since I finished Demon's Souls a couple months ago so I hope these are as Souls-like as they look.

Also it's cool to be playing these for the first time, it isn't often you get to play a Souls game (or a Souls-esque game) for the first time.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not that interested in PC until it's not $50, hopefully it does widescreen this time around when I do grab it

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Not that interested in PC until it's not $50, hopefully it does widescreen this time around when I do grab it
Sekiro not supporting UW bummed me the fuck out. Nioh 2 in the same boat? If so that's pretty shitty =/

Vorph

Sekiro not supporting UW bummed me the fuck out. Nioh 2 in the same boat? If so that's pretty shitty =/
Nah, Nioh 2 has ultrawide, HDR, 120fps, etc. support on PC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Good port, playing through this time as ninjutsu dex/skill build. Never used Kurisamas or Hatchets before so going that route.
May switch to fists later as they seem the most complex with how chaining moves works.
Split staff just looks OP though, and the new sword set looks insanely good.
Point being great game stays great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

So...are you supposed to try and fight that huge ass enemy in the beginning of the game? he just keeps raping me.

Jozu

How awesome is this game? Im not really "feeling it" so far , although im only like 20 min in.

Trying to get the hang of the game, it definitely doesnt hold your hand.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
How awesome is this game? Im not really "feeling it" so far , although im only like 20 min in.

Nioh is one of my favorite series out there. If not feeling it but like the genre and setting try different weapons. Axe and stamina builds are easiest due to high break and stagger/survivability. Things like Dual blades and ninjutsu start out weak but get insanely strong later. Magic in 2 never really comes into its own and will always be outshined by other skills, it is more about the buffs then the direct damage.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So...are you supposed to try and fight that huge ass enemy in the beginning of the game? he just keeps raping me.

If you have played before this guy is killable but as Hatorade said... just avoid him. He gives you a key that unlocks a different path into the little village there otherwise not a lot.

Its really good... VERY deep and it rewards learning its systems and how to combo well with stance changes and ki pulse. Its also very frustrating and I have definitely had moments where if I didn't stop I would have broken the controller or thrown it through a wall.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just started Nioh 1 on PS5. Really liking it so far, even though I suffered a really stupid death and perma-lost like 3000 souls early on. A half hour later and I still haven't made that much back altogether (stopping to level this time though). My one complaint about the game is that you can't change the controller layout aside from some presets. I want block on L1 and attack on R1/2, but it looks like I have to have one or the other on Square. So I ended up putting block on Square, and have died 6 or 7 times so far from hitting L1 to block. Other than that, the game is great. I went with the two swords and the tonfas as my specialized weapons, and I'm keeping my equip load light by sacrificing defense for mobility.

I also checked out Sekiro and found it MUCH harder than Nioh from the 2 hours or so that I played of both. One is a Souls game made by Team Ninja and the other is a Ninja Gaiden game made by the Souls team. I like them both in very different ways.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Just started Nioh 1 on PS5. Really liking it so far, even though I suffered a really stupid death and perma-lost like 3000 souls early on. A half hour later and I still haven't made that much back altogether (stopping to level this time though). My one complaint about the game is that you can't change the controller layout aside from some presets. I want block on L1 and attack on R1/2, but it looks like I have to have one or the other on Square. So I ended up putting block on Square, and have died 6 or 7 times so far from hitting L1 to block. Other than that, the game is great. I went with the two swords and the tonfas as my specialized weapons, and I'm keeping my equip load light by sacrificing defense for mobility.

I also checked out Sekiro and found it MUCH harder than Nioh from the 2 hours or so that I played of both. One is a Souls game made by Team Ninja and the other is a Ninja Gaiden game made by the Souls team. I like them both in very different ways.

I just finished another play through of Sekiro and started up a replay of Nioh and have died so many damn times in the stage after the tutorial hitting L1 to block or circle to dodge. I tried to map the controller exactly like Sekiro but that ended up screwing up the menuing so will just have to get used to square to block and x to dodge.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

But...how will you Ki Pulse...or flux for that matter while switching weapons or stances?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just finished another play through of Sekiro and started up a replay of Nioh and have died so many damn times in the stage after the tutorial hitting L1 to block or circle to dodge. I tried to map the controller exactly like Sekiro but that ended up screwing up the menuing so will just have to get used to square to block and x to dodge.

Exactly. I don't know why it isn't completely standardized at this point for all games to have full controller layout customization.

I'm also having a dickens of a time recording videos on PS5. Anything over 15 minutes or so and the PS5 won't let you move the video onto a USB drive. You get an error with no information. The solution is to trim a second off of the beginning and the end (so two seconds), overwrite the video, and then move it onto a USB drive. Which makes the move process take roughly 3x as long for each video. It's pretty rough when I'm trying to port over like 8 hours worth of footage.

Nuts that we have such insane graphic tech (Nioh running at 4K/60FPS on PS5 and could run at 120FPS if my LG OLED supported it) and yet these simple things are such issues.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
But...how will you Ki Pulse...or flux for that matter while switching weapons or stances?

TBH, I don't even really know what that means yet. I believe I went with Type E controller layout. I remember doing some Ki Pulses and I also remember switching weapons and stances without issue, but it was late and I was tired AF by then.