Nioh 2 (PS4 (PC in November?))

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is character growth in Sekiro, but yeah you aren't outleveling fights in it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, Nioh is definitely a series you can find ways to "break", particularly later game but even at the beginning by just straight farming stuff.

That said, Nioh to me is a far better game than Sekiro. Outside of Bloodborne, it's probably my personal favorite "Souls" type game. Has a great hook - tough bosses, gear chase, speed running, crafting etc.

Finally beat Nioh 2 last night, had a great time. Deciding now to go through NG+ or into the DLC. Think I'll farm a bit in NG+ then jump into the DLC as I've heard its a bit more difficult than the base game.

Some standout boss fights to me > Naotaka (Odachi Ice Guy), Katsuie (the hog axe guy - to me this was the hardest fight in the base game by some distance), Azai (the bird guy). These were difficult but rewarding and didn't feel like bullshit to me.

That fecking dumb palace fight was terribly designed and annoying to me. Story was still kind of week, but wasn't terrible and easy enough to follow.

9/10 for me, better than the first in every way and I really liked the first one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nioh DLC are always balanced around end game builds. I'd suggest going through the higher difficulties first. That first DLC is pretty rough with their heavily armored ass Yokai, and the final boss is just straight up an asshole. So I'd get through to Dream on Strong, then swing back and get the DLC beat. The gear levels that drop will say otherwise, but legit those crabs and the scrotum guys are pretty hard if you don't have a solid build going. (and lightning learn to love lightning for that expansion)

As far as the original question: I don't know about Sekiro, that game just never even remotely appealed to me at all so I never played it. But Nioh and Nioh 2 are two different beasts. Nioh 1, I'd argue was easier because the itemization was a bit overpowered. And there were some things like Living weapon and thrown weapons you could abuse at various stages of the game. (Throwing goes to complete shit after Wise in Nioh, where Living Weapon doesn't get truly broken until end game). Nioh 2 is extremely tuned, and they went ham on set bonuses making them all but worthless really, an overcorrection to the straight op levels you could get with Nioh 1's set bonuses. The graces weren't bad, and they finally buffed them up a bit to compete with the Versatility meta (which forces you to run through 9 different skills to see the full benefit which is too much for me). With that said, if you are in it for the action and not the ARPG aspect, Nioh 2 is a much more balanced affair. I just liked the pacing and difficulty curve the more ARPG focused Nioh 1 was, but I find myself really getting into it in the 3rd DLC of Nioh 2 though.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Love Nioh 1 and 2. I only made it through the first 2 NG cycles of Nioh 2 though, anything further the enemies just started to feel too much like damage sponges and wasn't fun (for me) anymore. Tonfa mastery challenge got me close to powerspiking my controller into the ground.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ya, Nioh is definitely a series you can find ways to "break", particularly later game but even at the beginning by just straight farming stuff.

That said, Nioh to me is a far better game than Sekiro. Outside of Bloodborne, it's probably my personal favorite "Souls" type game. Has a great hook - tough bosses, gear chase, speed running, crafting etc.

Finally beat Nioh 2 last night, had a great time. Deciding now to go through NG+ or into the DLC. Think I'll farm a bit in NG+ then jump into the DLC as I've heard its a bit more difficult than the base game.

Some standout boss fights to me > Naotaka (Odachi Ice Guy), Katsuie (the hog axe guy - to me this was the hardest fight in the base game by some distance), Azai (the bird guy). These were difficult but rewarding and didn't feel like bullshit to me.

That fecking dumb palace fight was terribly designed and annoying to me. Story was still kind of week, but wasn't terrible and easy enough to follow.

9/10 for me, better than the first in every way and I really liked the first one.
Running the ng+ difficulty is more fun than the dlc. The dlc missions themselves were pretty bad compared to the base game.

Only boss I really had some trouble with on the original run through the game was Katsuie. His move set isn’t particularly difficult, but he has a shit ton of health and does massive damage, so you have a lot of time to mess up and get killed. On the NG+ run nothing was hard.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love Nioh 1 and 2. I only made it through the first 2 NG cycles of Nioh 2 though, anything further the enemies just started to feel too much like damage sponges and wasn't fun (for me) anymore. Tonfa mastery challenge got me close to powerspiking my controller into the ground.
Way of the demon was horrible because yeah they did make everything spongey as fuck. It damn near made me quit the game. Then DLC 2 comes out and Dream of the Wise was more balanced in that regard (mainly because they introduced stones, which have a difficulty system not unlike Diablo's Torment level system), but the xp just sucked and it took for fucking ever to level. Then DLC 3 came out and they found a good balance and it's not spongey or stupid stingy on the Amrita. They even went back and buffed the other graces so there wasn't this retarded Versatility/Fists Meta as the only real viable option. The base set bonuses still suck balls for the most part, but the other graces have decently high enough numbers that you aren't forced to use Versatility to get anything above 20% to whatever melee you want to buff. Nioh 2 is just way overtuned for my tastes. They want this to be an action game over a loot grind game, but I think people must have left because they have somewhat reverted that now. They just have way better QoL changes that are not in Nioh 1 that makes me not want to go back to that (I never fully did the Abyss)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The boat zone in the DLC is terrible to me so I'm just running through NG+ gearing up. I'm a beefy mage just destroying everything on the map with my little lightning/fire/water mines

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The boat zone in the DLC is terrible to me so I'm just running through NG+ gearing up. I'm a beefy mage just destroying everything on the map with my little lightning/fire/water mines
They pulled all the nioh 1 assets for that DLC it seems. Boss as well, it is my least favorite level and boss from Nioh 1. Got through it fairly quickly though, boss is super easy with counter hits.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know if I would've ever tried Nioh 2 if it wasn't one of the free games in psnow, and holy shit despite hundreds of dumb deaths (and lost amrita) I want to buy it just to give them money. Shits crazy fun. Never played dark souls or nioh 1 so I tried to play it like an action game at first, took a day or two to even complete the first few levels but after you get the hang of things, and running a pure constitution/spear build helps, so much fun.

Do people usually swap specs around with the book throughout or stay with 1 char per weapon kind of thing? I don't care about the plat aspect, just wasn't sure what to expect in NG+ (or how far I even am now in the 6th 'world').

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nioh 2 is a fantastic game until you get to the endgame. They ruined everything with the DLC (and even if you don't own the DLC, the worst of the changes were patched in anyway).

Not sure if they did anything to spec swapping in the updates but I only ever used one character for everything.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nioh 2 is a fantastic game until you get to the endgame. They ruined everything with the DLC (and even if you don't own the DLC, the worst of the changes were patched in anyway).

Not sure if they did anything to spec swapping in the updates but I only ever used one character for everything.

How'd they ruin everything?

I still haven't gotten to Nioh 2, but I could completely uninstall it and do a new install offline or something, bet that would circumvent a patch.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

I still haven't gotten to Nioh 2, but I could completely uninstall it and do a new install offline or something, bet that would circumvent a patch.

For 95% of the playerbase the end game in this game is not for them. If you enjoyed Nioh 1 then I would suggest just playing through the game and maybe NG+1 and leave it at that. After that, you actually need to be autistic enough to figure out how to play this game for real and have a build in which you spend countless hours farming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

First they made it so you can't trade gear mods anymore so the grind to get a set of gear for any particular build increased probably a hundred fold.

Then they made it even worse by bringing back ethereal shit from Nioh 1.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah I burned out super quick in Nioh 2 because of all that, didn't even try to make another weapon combo setup this time.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting, haven't yet come across any of that (just beat... the giant house boss with weird tentacle eyes?), guessing there's still a lot left.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Interesting, haven't yet come across any of that (just beat... the giant house boss with weird tentacle eyes?), guessing there's still a lot left.

What Vorph and Hateorade are talking about isn't until endgame really. If you are still on your first play through it doesn't really apply

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I loved the first Nioh, but for whatever reason, when this came out, I only played like a few hours and lost interest. Now that the remaster came out on PS5 on PS+, I restarted and am really loving it. I'm on ng+(Dream of the Strong?) and still really enjoying it. Going through the DLC now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I loved the first Nioh, but for whatever reason, when this came out, I only played like a few hours and lost interest. Now that the remaster came out on PS5 on PS+, I restarted and am really loving it. I'm on ng+(Dream of the Strong?) and still really enjoying it. Going through the DLC now.
What weapons and armor did you use?

When I played this on release I got hard stuck on a boss and gave up eventually. I picked it back up last week to play the ps5 remaster. Playing fine now but I am concerned I get stuck again when I get back to that boss at some point. Currently using tonfas but will probably try to switch to an axe and git gud at blocking versus the dodging I do now based on advice in the ps5 thread.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Any advice on said breakage? I wanted to do some farming early in the game to get used to the different controls. That's how I got anywhere with Bloodborne / Souls in the first place, by just farming for levels for a few hours until I was actually good at fighting stuff. If I can farm stuff of any consequence at this stage, I'll do that. I was basically just farming soldiers in the woods.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What weapons and armor did you use?

When I played this on release I got hard stuck on a boss and gave up eventually. I picked it back up last week to play the ps5 remaster. Playing fine now but I am concerned I get stuck again when I get back to that boss at some point. Currently using tonfas but will probably try to switch to an axe and git gud at blocking versus the dodging I do now based on advice in the ps5 thread.
Been using Axe build and using all 7 pcs of the Obsidian Samurai set, but I have my stamina way spiked so that my weight is still green, so it's a good balance of dodging and blocking.