Nioh 2 (PS4 (PC in November?))

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
No idea but just wanted to add that it is hilarious how terrible all the summoned helpers are. Most of the time I do it just for comedy. Summoned one level 71 guy or something before the Owl boss the other night and he immediately ran in and got 2-shot.

Soul level just went up as I leveled it seemed. Probably something specific you can focus on but didn't pay attention while going through. No idea how half the soul stuff works as far as upgrading them and what-not.

Armor and toughness still don't make any sense to me. One piece of equipment will have the same armor value but 1 less toughness and my overall stat value will be like -30 in the preview. Was using exclusively Tonfa with Sohaya or whatever with Yokai Slayer but have recently been doing a lot more Odachi. Really like it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Only weapon I really dislike is the spear.

But yeah the summoned help is almost always terrible. Sometimes the summons have good builds though. I used one and it just spammed firebombs and wrekt shit.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Only weapon I really dislike is the spear.

But yeah the summoned help is almost always terrible. Sometimes the summons have good builds though. I used one and it just spammed firebombs and wrekt shit.

That's the thing I've noticed though, that the ones with more sword icons use their skills more often. I've summoned what appears to be magic builds that do nothing but melee, and badly at that, but also got 3 icon summons that heal you, use damage spells, and have an AI that isn't just "rush whatever enemy they see". I ran back and found a NPC summon for the fox, I think it had 4 or so icons, cleared up to boss fight, summoned it, ran to boss and it facetanked the boss the entire fight and had half HP left when boss died.

It appears the amount of swords on it doesn't just indicate power level, but also tied to the AI on how well they fight, blocking, using skills and so on. I just have no idea how you make your summon do that. Maybe it is tied to the tutorials? Like passing all adept tutorials gives you two swords and so on?

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
No idea but just wanted to add that it is hilarious how terrible all the summoned helpers are. Most of the time I do it just for comedy. Summoned one level 71 guy or something before the Owl boss the other night and he immediately ran in and got 2-shot.

Soul level just went up as I leveled it seemed. Probably something specific you can focus on but didn't pay attention while going through. No idea how half the soul stuff works as far as upgrading them and what-not.

Armor and toughness still don't make any sense to me. One piece of equipment will have the same armor value but 1 less toughness and my overall stat value will be like -30 in the preview. Was using exclusively Tonfa with Sohaya or whatever with Yokai Slayer but have recently been doing a lot more Odachi. Really like it.
Toughness is how much Ki you lose when you get hit and block, only defense number that matters is how heavy the armor is. Weight three with 20 defense will block a lot more damage than a weight one with the same.

Weight two armor is basically pointless as you either want a dodge or block build. End game you can do Ki builds with weight two but that is very specific and usually reserved for sword builds.

As for souls you get two spirits (more later)you can switch on the fly and can slot a total of 4 souls.
Also recent patch makes acolytes stronger.
Start with bare minimum to equip the stuff you want then pump whatever you main stat is to 99, branch from there. Just hit level 90 or so sitting at 81 Stamina three shotting most things with the axe.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Time to boost heart and spin to win! Ha just did snake boss again on a level 102 mission absolutely destroyed it, took like 20 seconds.

9B8A90C8-5932-4661-86AA-7307BE9D27AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Equipment is just plain retarded.
How so? It's extremely forgiving compared to the usual ARPG colored-tier loot system. You can reroll every affix on an item, except for the 1-2 implicits that a particular piece always has, as many times as you like until they are exactly what you want. You can also inherit one additional affix from another item easily (even if you never find certain super rare ones yourself, there's a spot in NG+ region 2 where people leave revenants that have certain things equipped so you can still get the inheritable that way).

Once you get to the point where everything you use is crafted you just have to do a quick check for good inheritables on drops, then do a select all 'uncommon or less' and donate it all, then a select all and disassemble everything else. That's what I do anyway. Don't see any point in disassembling more than one material tier down. Maybe sell some of it for gold instead of donating once you unlock all the titles and have a metric shitton of rice, but I think the gold amount is fairly trivial compared to the amounts you actually need and there's better ways to get it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need to finish this up and get in to some of the end game stuff. Think yesterday the Ice general dude was the last boss I've killed. End up doing all the side missions rather than the main story quests.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I need to finish this up and get in to some of the end game stuff. Think yesterday the Ice general dude was the last boss I've killed. End up doing all the side missions rather than the main story quests.

Some of the side missions are way harder than the main game ones lol.

• 1Worf

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Roll credits!
William shows up because of course he does... man did they reuse a lot of Nioh 1 assests.

If anyone needs some co-op action hit me up on PS4. Time to dive into the endgame and get all the green loot!

Obsidian seems to be the best axe build but the secondary being sword is very limiting for a 7 piece, also found a heavy Odachi set that has all magic bonuses allowing you to use whatever Switch Glaive you want, this will likely be the best one for that.

Another one that looked interesting was a dual swords build with the fire and lighting swords, could do some instant confusion +continuous dmg build using water sword skill. This one like Nioh one has potential to gib bosses even before they are done spawning in.

Tonfa gun sticks are back, look forward to seeing the end game damage numbers on that explosion move.

Next build I will try is likely going to be Hatchets and try something completely different.

That said will try them all eventually because you unlock the ability to completely save a build! Up to 20 of them to be exact. FUCK YES!

Last edited:

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I'm nearing the end of the game using Switchglaive and still have mixed feelings about it. Using the glaive itself is super fun and engaging and I am just a combo badass now. But Onymo magic is just astoundingly disapointing. Using magic (other than Barrier+Buff) in any meaningful fight is almost never worth it. You are practically begging to get one-shot or punished by trying to get distance and range and timing for a spell. It just seems like a complete waste of time. I was tempted to re-spec into a different weapon/build but I'm actually really good with the glaive now so I'll keep that for another playthrough. It is also retarded to me how you can get a max of 35 magic slots. What the fuck, why? It makes 90% of the skills you invested in pointless since you'll never equip them.

I do think this game rewards "getting good" way more than others in this genre though. It is pretty clear to me that I am running a sub-optimal and maybe even shitty build; but I am still doing well because I've learned the underlying systems of pulses and counters and stance switches etc. Fun game. Enjoying it maybe even more than the first.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm nearing the end of the game using Switchglaive and still have mixed feelings about it. Using the glaive itself is super fun and engaging and I am just a combo badass now. But Onymo magic is just astoundingly disapointing. Using magic (other than Barrier+Buff) in any meaningful fight is almost never worth it. You are practically begging to get one-shot or punished by trying to get distance and range and timing for a spell. It just seems like a complete waste of time. I was tempted to re-spec into a different weapon/build but I'm actually really good with the glaive now so I'll keep that for another playthrough. It is also retarded to me how you can get a max of 35 magic slots. What the fuck, why? It makes 90% of the skills you invested in pointless since you'll never equip them.

I do think this game rewards "getting good" way more than others in this genre though. It is pretty clear to me that I am running a sub-optimal and maybe even shitty build; but I am still doing well because I've learned the underlying systems of pulses and counters and stance switches etc. Fun game. Enjoying it maybe even more than the first.
Eventually you can get builds that speed up casting to be almost instant+dmg on cast etc. Magic really shines when you get in there break their Ki and the blow them the fuck up. That said Magic builds have always been subpar when compared to everything else damage wise. Sloth lasting 2 minutes though is just mean. You should focus on the confusion mechanic, three+ status alignments=more damage from all sources.

Oh and you can do some really cool stuff with Paralyze+aoe spells for super easy farming.

Last edited:

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Ok I have played + Like all DS/Sekiro (Fav From Software Game). Will I Like this? Is it worth playing Nioh 1 while I wait for the PC Port?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Nioh 1 just too get the hang of the stancing system in the game, but other then that everything else is greatly changed vs 2. Totally separate stories as well..

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Things that are similar:
Combat (to some degree)
Level design (unlocking shortcuts and shrines(bonfires))
Leveling - collect Amrita (souls) to spend at shrine to gain a level by selecting a stat to increase.

Differences:
Setting - feudal Japan plus demons, similar to sekiro
Gear - very different. Basically diablo gear with tons of different stats and effects, 95% of which will be useless for a given play style.
“World” - It’s not a continuous world like dark souls or sekiro. There’s basically a world map where you can select individual missions.
Level reuse - doing all of the main and side missions, you will be running through a given level a half dozen times. Usually parts are blocked off for side missions making them shorter, and the enemies are different.
Skill Tree - massive skill tree, each weapon has its own as well as samurai (basic abilities), ninjitsu (non-magic magic), and Onmyo (magic magic). You’ll likely ignore 80% of the trees if you use one weapon type and pick either ninjitsu or onmyo to focus on.

Bosses seem to be easier than sekiro bosses, at least for me. Most of them I’ve fought so far you can slow play, keeping your distance with blocking/evading and waiting for an opening to whack a few times or burst counter.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
99 sta, 55 heart and counting. Up to 12 spins before out of Ki, this applies shock debuff. I then Yokai shift into fire/ice boss that also spins to apply fire and water debuff which also applies confusion. I then immediately spin again this time doing insane damage and kill them.
Every boss do far dies sub 1 minute, most take 20 seconds or so.

I can see this strategy being even faster with dual swords or any continuous attack move including magic and nujitsu.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's been 2 weeks. Already at damn near 200 hours thanks to the quarantine. The first weekend was almost a waste as me and my adult nephew were trying to Tori gate everything and of course since these asshole Japanese companies have a fetish against multiplayer ruining street cred, they just add too much shit to make it playable without replaying entire levels over and over again. So had to get ahead of him so he could just summon me. I am currently in the 6th region, went meatmage axe and glaive heavy armor and I love it.

The only issue I have had is the Tori gate. Team ninja and the twat dark souls cunts need to get over themselves and not attach so many strings to people wanting to play the game together blind. I'm also not a huge fan of yokai shift. Takes way too long to charge the amrita gauge and once you do pop it it lasts just seconds. I know there is a thing where you spam yokai abilities to generate amrita storms to stay in shift, but I have only been able to do that in training grounds. The anima system and yokai abilities on their own is awesome. I also feel that bosses and yokai sometimes just feel super spongey And lastly the hit boxes can just get super wonky, especially with grabs.

Amazingly the story has been pretty good. I am a pleb and set the voices to English and while they have the wrong accent, at least I can pick up the personality now. It still feels like I read chapter 2 and the next story beat is chapter 20, but whatever, it is miles better than 1's.

• 1Like