Nioh 2 (PS4 (PC in November?))

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still think yokai shift sucks. But I have gotten to a point where my anima charge isn't ass and I can use yokai abilities more often. I am thinking I'm going to shoot for the stat bonuses based on amrita gauge more. I will have to check out tengen but right now my main is a lightning build that uses the stag. Has lightning damage, anima charge on electrified and a nice heal on strong attack. Omnyo is awesome. I keep lightning buff up and use the floating doll elemental bomb things to apply confusion. The buff alone adds a ton of damage and slows the fuck out of everything. Ninja isn't OP. Poison is OP. The rest of ninja is meh at best. I hate that they completely fucked throwing builds. And it has a ton of variety. Hell, both have a ton of variety. Too bad you can't use but a sliver of it with the stupidly low.capacity. I love this game but some of the nerfs to things from the first one are perplexing. I'm just hoping it's with the long game in mind so things don't go stupid by DLC 3. And as far as endless end game. They have said the abyss mechanic will be returning. Most likely with a different name. I personally think it will be the interim somehow.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still think yokai shift sucks.
It does. When normal abilities can fairly easily be set up to do 20-35k there's no reason to even look at yokai shift for anything besides the buffs to item drop rate and luck that it can provide. Even then you use normal stuff until the boss is a couple pixels from dead before you swap to Nine Tails (with 3 soul cores that have yokai shift luck and item drop rate) and then finish it off, which is only necessary because the drop rate of smithing texts and boss skills is so abysmal.

I am thinking I'm going to shoot for the stat bonuses based on amrita gauge more. I will have to check out tengen but right now my main is a lightning build that uses the stag.
Some amrita gauge stats are good, some suck. The only one I actually bother to use is ki recovery bonus on legs (and the luck bonus I get from Child of the Sun set). Defense is alright I guess, but I don't really feel I need defense when I already have a ton of it from armor that hits 69.9% encumbrance even with both str and sta at 99, and there's better things to put on chest armor. Ki bonus is like 2 more ki at max gauge than just using a normal ki roll, why bother? And they conflict, so you can't have both on your helmet.

Tengen is godly, the high stance damage buff is like 30% and stacks with everything. Much like Honda clan, I expect it to be nerfed before the DLC drops, as there's no reason to even consider any other spirit or clan right now.

The rest of ninja is meh at best. I hate that they completely fucked throwing builds. And it has a ton of variety. Hell, both have a ton of variety. Too bad you can't use but a sliver of it with the stupidly low.capacity.
Still don't get the capacity complaints. I switched to odachi because ninjutsu was boring, plus I really hate ultra-light armor in Nioh. Capacity was never a problem, and there were only a couple fights where I even used one shinobi box to win, barring something going horribly wrong. And as strong as kunai are, feathers put them to shame if you have some way of quickly depleting ki. Feathers are also vastly better vs. humans and some yokai like Koroku, because they automatically block after getting hit twice. In some duels you can get behind them by opening with a rifle shot and then sprinting, but most will not stay staggered all the way to dead. For those it's much easier and faster to deplete their ki and murder them with a feather that hits for like 20k.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
It does. When normal abilities can fairly easily be set up to do 20-35k there's no reason to even look at yokai shift for anything besides the buffs to item drop rate and luck that it can provide. Even then you use normal stuff until the boss is a couple pixels from dead before you swap to Nine Tails (with 3 soul cores that have yokai shift luck and item drop rate) and then finish it off, which is only necessary because the drop rate of smithing texts and boss skills is so abysmal.

Some amrita gauge stats are good, some suck. The only one I actually bother to use is ki recovery bonus on legs (and the luck bonus I get from Child of the Sun set). Defense is alright I guess, but I don't really feel I need defense when I already have a ton of it from armor that hits 69.9% encumbrance even with both str and sta at 99, and there's better things to put on chest armor. Ki bonus is like 2 more ki at max gauge than just using a normal ki roll, why bother? And they conflict, so you can't have both on your helmet.

Tengen is godly, the high stance damage buff is like 30% and stacks with everything. Much like Honda clan, I expect it to be nerfed before the DLC drops, as there's no reason to even consider any other spirit or clan right now.

Still don't get the capacity complaints. I switched to odachi because ninjutsu was boring, plus I really hate ultra-light armor in Nioh. Capacity was never a problem, and there were only a couple fights where I even used one shinobi box to win, barring something going horribly wrong. And as strong as kunai are, feathers put them to shame if you have some way of quickly depleting ki. Feathers are also vastly better vs. humans and some yokai like Koroku, because they automatically block after getting hit twice. In some duels you can get behind them by opening with a rifle shot and then sprinting, but most will not stay staggered all the way to dead. For those it's much easier and faster to deplete their ki and murder them with a feather that hits for like 20k.

Hmmm

Tengen:. I seriously need to try this out. The stag has been awesome but yeah if it's that much of a buff I can live without the healing and electric boost.

Capacity: not necessarily speaking of the amount of each thing you can have. I'm actually talking about the 35 Max capacity you have overall. Both things have a huge array of things you can do. It'd just be nice if those who dedicate themselves to that stat get a way to raise it at least into the 40s. It really just is a me thing then. I just much prefer omnyo this time around. Which is ok as I did ninja almost exclusively in 1.

I am with you. I can't stand light armor. There seems to be little reward for the risk you take. So right now my master archers glaive and axe lightning guy is doing the Lord's work. I have an odachi build that will be just yokai weapons with buffs in the works.

As far as clans go. Yeah no argument that Honda isn't tits. But toyotomi is awesome too. I love being able to rush in and not stop fighting with extraction and seeing my health drop to 10% then instantly go back to full, simply for attacking. I'm a more defensive minded guy so it suits me very well.

Vorph

As far as clans go. Yeah no argument that Honda isn't tits. But toyotomi is awesome too. I love being able to rush in and not stop fighting with extraction and seeing my health drop to 10% then instantly go back to full, simply for attacking. I'm a more defensive minded guy so it suits me very well.
I've got Life Recovery (Amrita Absorption) on chest and both accessories (Edit: plus Life Drain (Active Skill) on my axe build, though not on my odachi since it doesn't seem to do a whole lot with Moonlit Snow/Swirling Snow compared to Mad Spinner), so Toyo seems a bit redundant there. Plus Honda is actually a big defensive boost at max rank where you have an 80% chance of taking half damage from any hit you take at full hp--which is most of the time thanks to the life recovery.

Last edited:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got Life Recovery (Amrita Absorption) on chest and both accessories (Edit: plus Life Drain (Active Skill) on my axe build, though not on my odachi since it doesn't seem to do a whole lot with Moonlit Snow/Swirling Snow compared to Mad Spinner), so Toyo seems a bit redundant there. Plus Honda is actually a big defensive boost at max rank where you have an 80% chance of taking half damage from any hit you take at full hp--which is most of the time thanks to the life recovery.

Oh it's not redundant lol... well ok maybe a little unless you are like me and giggle gleefully because your health NEVER drops. But I will say I have not been able to get that temper on my accessories yet though. If it does, I'll be over to Honda in a flash. I'm not a mad spinner guy, I'm a Titanic Strength/Tri Spark dude myself. I still ter shink it's stupid that you can't join different clans with different characters though. But whatever that's been a nitpick of mine since 1. Now if I could just not suck with lighter weapons as I really want to do a poison dual sword and kusa build so bad.

Vorph

But I will say I have not been able to get that temper on my accessories yet though.
It only rolls on Magatama (including Yasakani), Medicine Case, and Wise General's Pill Box. Saw someone say Katei too today, but cannot confirm myself. I pretty much only use Magatamas with Anima Charge and Medicine Cases with Untouched Elixir in my second slot. As for being redundant, imo 36+16+16 is plenty, especially when combined with life drain on Mad Spinner too. 28% extra damage on Mad Spinner or Moonlit Snow/Swirling Snow is too insane to pass up.

I still ter shink it's stupid that you can't join different clans with different characters though. But whatever that's been a nitpick of mine since 1. Now if I could just not suck with lighter weapons as I really want to do a poison dual sword and kusa build so bad.
I'm not sure you really lose anything by switching clans, do you? I mean, yeah, there's a 8 hour cooldown, but when I swapped from Toyo to Honda I kept my max rank and had the 28%/80% on Honda instantly. Might affect what you get on Tuesday reset, but I've already got more glory than I'll likely ever spend.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
It only rolls on Magatama (including Yasakani), Medicine Case, and Wise General's Pill Box. Saw someone say Katei too today, but cannot confirm myself. I pretty much only use Magatamas with Anima Charge and Medicine Cases with Untouched Elixir in my second slot. As for being redundant, imo 36+16+16 is plenty, especially when combined with life drain on Mad Spinner too. 28% extra damage on Mad Spinner or Moonlit Snow/Swirling Snow is too insane to pass up.

I'm not sure you really lose anything by switching clans, do you? I mean, yeah, there's a 8 hour cooldown, but when I swapped from Toyo to Honda I kept my max rank and had the 28%/80% on Honda instantly. Might affect what you get on Tuesday reset, but I've already got more glory than I'll likely ever spend.

You don't lose anything it's just annoying to me. Like I said a nitpick. And ok... I have a Yasakani but I have one of the accessories with Auto Grave because that's a must have for me. But I may move to one of those other types or use my other Yasakani

Vorph

Well, you could roll Auto-grave on just about any accessory if you really want it.

BTW if you're short on Yasakanis, just run the final boss mission. That's basically all I do now, besides the daily twilight missions, since it's the best thing to run for both amrita and 160+4 gear or 170 gear/core drops. There's 3 guaranteed accessory drops in the mission: one behind Gozuki, one behind Mezuki, and one between the two aberrant tanks right before the boss room (where the other aberrant shoots at you right after you leave the last shrine area). I have like 8 Yasakanis now, and six of them are from that mission.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Picked this up last night. I suck big hairy balls. I think I made it to the second (maybe third) shrine, the one right before you have to cleanse the first one. I can barely kill normal dickhole humans. Time to get gud. Advice is appreciated

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Picked this up last night. I suck big hairy balls. I think I made it to the second (maybe third) shrine, the one right before you have to cleanse the first one. I can barely kill normal dickhole humans. Time to get gud. Advice is appreciated

If this is your first Nioh game my advice would be get okay with the fact you gon die a lot. Thats all I have managed to figure out thus far

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

#1 tip - Get Ki Flux II and force yourself to use it almost always. Even if you don't actually want to change stances. (I rarely ever leave high stance, so when I flux I just press R1+Square and slide my thumb over Triangle immediately.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Maybe I’m dumb but I can say I’ve never even used ki flux and haven’t really had any trouble except for on Katsuie and right now on the gozuku mezuki combo in the golden castle. Katsui because it seems like they just took a normal boss and doubled his health and damage, so it’s a long fight where a single mess up is death and the goz/mez fight because I like to keep distance and mostly dodge attacks but that’s not possible with 2 enemies who have attacks that each fill up half of the room.

I probably should respec at this point though and actually try to equip good gear. Pretty sure my gear is like 50 levels behind my character by now

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Tried playing around with different weapons. Running odachi in high stance and was able to kill the first boss on my first try.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Odachi is so good I have two fully decked out sets of armor built for it (both Moonlit Snow x5). Axe is another favorite, which works out perfectly since 99 str/99 sta is ideal for it as well.

I'd highly recommend a pit stop once you reach the sub mission "Brother's Blades" to farm the boss for the hidden skill Swirling Snow.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Odachi is so good I have two fully decked out sets of armor built for it (both Moonlit Snow x5). Axe is another favorite, which works out perfectly since 99 str/99 sta is ideal for it as well.

I'd highly recommend a pit stop once you reach the sub mission "Brother's Blades" to farm the boss for the hidden skill Swirling Snow.

Farm the boss just run the mission over and over again?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Farm the boss just run the mission over and over again?
Yes. Or use the shrine right before him.. kill him, if yu dont get it reset game and just do that over and over if you dont want to level other stuff.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Beat the third main mission. Getting better, but the second boss sucked hard for me.

Do I just give all extra gear to the shrine or sell/dismantle it? Not seeing a use for silver right now.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Beat the third main mission. Getting better, but the second boss sucked hard for me.

Do I just give all extra gear to the shrine or sell/dismantle it? Not seeing a use for silver right now.

I have been selling the whites, and deconstructing the colored gear as I think I want to play some NG+ and farm after that so crafting mats will be a thing I need. There isn't a big need for silver during the regular game you could use it to soul match gear to raise the level of gear you like but that gets expensive fast and its better to just equip better gear as you find it until the end game.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You mean the furnace guy? I sucked ass on that one too but that fight really nails down your learning of few of the main mechanics.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yep, first few tries I was hitting the counter way too soon for his big attack, which was 1 shotting me. Snake boss wasn't too bad, just annoying.