Nioh 2 (PS4 (PC in November?))

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yep, first few tries I was hitting the counter way too soon for his big attack, which was 1 shotting me. Snake boss wasn't too bad, just annoying.

I died so many times to the snake lady, mostly due to the extra 2 snakes during the dark phase. If you use the soul core from the first boss as your yokai ability on top of snake when she transitions you catch both extra snakes and 1 shot them.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I died so many times to the snake lady, mostly due to the extra 2 snakes during the dark phase. If you use the soul core from the first boss as your yokai ability on top of snake when she transitions you catch both extra snakes and 1 shot them.
You need to kill her snake arms during normal phase so you don’t have to worry about the dark realm snakes. Really easy actually, just keep your distance and when she does the arm plunge into the ground just run up and whack one of her arms and repeat until they are both dead

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Finished the main mode, last few bosses were fun but I felt like they were easier than the rest. Kashin Koji especially, I beat him without even having any elixir from the previous fight.

Now to start collecting some sweet green gear. What armor effects should I be aiming for for an odachi build? I still basically have no idea what’s good

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What armor effects should I be aiming for for an odachi build? I still basically have no idea what’s good
For farming smithing texts and boss skills:
odachi01.png

For general murdering everything in sight as fast as possible:
odachi02.png

I use 99 str, 99 sta, 30 magic, 16 dex, 10 heart, 10 courage, 6 skill (because I'm too lazy to remake my Kodama Bowl with a crafted one that won't need the wasted point), and everything else in con (72 total iirc). Since it's probably not clear, the life rolls on the second set are all 64's that I [orange] inherited from chests.

I didn't make either build, just optimized the stat selection on the individual pieces, so if you want to see videos about either I can dig them up. One's from PWAR, can't remember the other dude's name.

I still have helms/gloves/chests with all the required inheritables too.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Damn, I’m only like level 110. Wonder if it’s worth trying to get +Amrita gear first, then +luck, then +murdering

Vorph

I wouldn't. Amrita farming setups got nerfed in the last patch, and it was really boring (and unrewarding, for everything else but amrita) to just do that underworld mission over and over and over anyway. Just try to plow through the missions again as fast as possible to unlock the later regions. Farm up a Yasakani Magatama in the sub mission Abducted if you want... it can take a while but it completely changes the game once you have it. You get a guaranteed one from the mission reward for beating the final boss again in NG+, but that's a ton of missions to clear with a suboptimal build.

As for the build itself, here's the video for the second setup I use, which is more suited for just rampaging through missions as quickly as possible (you will definitely need Swirling Snow unlocked if you don't already have it though--it's easiest to get from the side mission Brother's Blades, and you can just do it on NG if you want):

Skip ahead to the 3 minute mark for the armor and other gear to use before you have a Yasakani. For stats I'd dump into sta enough that your gear is under 70%, get whatever else you need for equip reqs, fill in enough magic for at least a few extraction and barrier talismans, dex for a quickchange scroll and/or sneak+cat for when you want to stealth a mission, con/heart/courage to 10, then back to working on sta to 99. Endgame weapon will be remodeled to both str and sta but for the time being just remodel sta and it'll be fine. Leveling up to about 200 goes pretty quick so it shouldn't be too bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Unlocked the Brother's Blades side mission (took me like 10min to figure out the revenant), but got swirling snow on my third run

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I got lucky on that one, got it first play through and wasn’t using odachi so I thought it was kinda worthless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Unlocked the Brother's Blades side mission (took me like 10min to figure out the revenant), but got swirling snow on my third run
If you mean the one by the crystal, note that he 100% drops a mortal soul core if you kill him before the crystal. And he respawns if you warp back to the shrine, so you can farm an endless supply of them any time you need to change color / rank up your other soul cores (also mortal cores very rarely have inheritables).

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So what are good stats to start with? There are so many star options and button combinations in combat it’s kind of overwhelming. So many options I really don’t know where to start. I’m using regular sword.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So what are good stats to start with? There are so many star options and button combinations in combat it’s kind of overwhelming. So many options I really don’t know where to start. I’m using regular sword.

Just pick something you like and use the stats it recommends and when you start getting enough stuff consider respecting.

• 1Like

Vorph

Personally I think a stamina-based weapon (Axe or maybe Odachi, but that really scales best with strength) is probably the easiest for NG story progression, because it allows you to use heavy armor and get into Toughness - A and Agility - B as early as possible. Single katana--and probably switchglaive--I would avoid unless you're already really good at the game from playing Nioh 1.

Definitely put at least some points into dex and magic though, so that you can use ninjutsu and onmyo regularly. Onmyo in particular is super annoying to level up proficiency with if you haven't been good about using it all along.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Anyone have any of the moonlit snow inheritables they can leave a grave for sometime? Or life, or any of the good ones for odachi really.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
For farming smithing texts and boss skills:
View attachment 266076

For general murdering everything in sight as fast as possible:
View attachment 266078

I use 99 str, 99 sta, 30 magic, 16 dex, 10 heart, 10 courage, 6 skill (because I'm too lazy to remake my Kodama Bowl with a crafted one that won't need the wasted point), and everything else in con (72 total iirc). Since it's probably not clear, the life rolls on the second set are all 64's that I [orange] inherited from chests.

I didn't make either build, just optimized the stat selection on the individual pieces, so if you want to see videos about either I can dig them up. One's from PWAR, can't remember the other dude's name.

I still have helms/gloves/chests with all the required inheritables too.
Question on the gear you have - does it really matter which of the pieces are moonprayer vs Oni ? Is there some effect specifically that you can only temper on one or the other?

And also, what’s your thoughts on using orange attack inheritable instead of life? Haven’t been able to get the life ones but got a ton of attack ones. If the value is so low that it’s not really helpful then I’ll just wait until I can find life

Vorph

Question on the gear you have - does it really matter which of the pieces are moonprayer vs Oni ? Is there some effect specifically that you can only temper on one or the other?
Yes, because you want Oni on the slots where heavy armor has the greatest effect for toughness and defense.

And also, what’s your thoughts on using orange attack inheritable instead of life? Haven’t been able to get the life ones but got a ton of attack ones. If the value is so low that it’s not really helpful then I’ll just wait until I can find life
Attack only rolls naturally on gloves, which you should always roll it on because it's convenient and because you get 36 instead of 35. I'll repost the image again with dots marking what is inherited and what is rolled naturally. (For weapons, it doesn't matter. Just get 4 of those things rolled naturally and inherit the rest. Just because of the rarity, I'd recommend inheriting Damage Bonus (Sta / Str). Conversely, I would not inherit stuff like Melee Ki Damage or really any of the white/yellow text ones because they have variance and inherited rolls tend to almost never be maxed)

odachi02.png

And as a final note, Life has to be inherited from chest since that's the only way to get 64-67 rolls, attack only appears on gloves, Moonlit Snow only appears on LIGHT gloves, and Elemental Damage Taken (Guarding) is only on hats. Also, there's only a couple accessories that can roll Life Recovery (Amrita Absorption) -- Magatama, Medicine Case, and Pill Box that I know of.

I still have extras of all the inheritables, so add me (Vorph-) and I'll tear myself away from FF7R long enough to drop some revs when you're around.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yes, because you want Oni on the slots where heavy armor has the greatest effect for toughness and defense.

Attack only rolls naturally on gloves, which you should always roll it on because it's convenient and because you get 36 instead of 35. I'll repost the image again with dots marking what is inherited and what is rolled naturally. (For weapons, it doesn't matter. Just get 4 of those things rolled naturally and inherit the rest. Just because of the rarity, I'd recommend inheriting Damage Bonus (Sta / Str). Conversely, I would not inherit stuff like Melee Ki Damage or really any of the white/yellow text ones because they have variance and inherited rolls tend to almost never be maxed)

View attachment 269379

And as a final note, Life has to be inherited from chest since that's the only way to get 64-67 rolls, attack only appears on gloves, Moonlit Snow only appears on LIGHT gloves, and Elemental Damage Taken (Guarding) is only on hats. Also, there's only a couple accessories that can roll Life Recovery (Amrita Absorption) -- Magatama, Medicine Case, and Pill Box that I know of.

I still have extras of all the inheritables, so add me (Vorph-) and I'll tear myself away from FF7R long enough to drop some revs when you're around.
Perfect, thanks. Never really did the end game in first Nioh so all of this stuff is still new to me. Even in Nioh 2 I basically ignored gear almost completely during NG until the last region.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Nearly done until DLC, have my main weapon at 170+10, 2 pieces of 170 gear with most gear at around +8. Probably going to grind away to get +10 everything and call it done. Probably finish getting to 300.

For people who played Nioh 1 dlc, what did it add besides new missions? Did it add new gear tiers beyond green? Increase 300 level cap? Increase the max from +10? Increase max gear level from 170? Increase proficiency cap for weapons and jutsu?

NG+ was so much easier than NG, and most of NG wasn’t even that hard. Biggest complaint is that there aren’t enough jutsu slots to really use all of the different skills, and that the weapon proficiency cap is so low that the skill tree can only be like half completed

Vorph

Yeah, there's another tier (ethereal - orange) that should be unlocked with the DLC. Hopefully it won't be as much of a ball buster as getting ethereal stuff was in the first game (couldn't craft it, rev-farming had extremely low drop rate even with friends).

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm necroing this thread because I can't believe we are still a month and a half away from the 1st DLC. I ended up settling on a full on omnyo guy Sta/Magic as my main stats. I use Glaive and Axe as my weapons. Master Archers for armor (lightning bonus) and Whale GS and demon cow soul core (water bonus). Weapon buffs in this game kick all kinds of ass. Extraction is just stupid sick with the Heal on absorption stat. I buff the weapon with lightning, use the water shikigami (doll) spells to apply water and boom. Confused and I have double melee damage bonus plus the sloth and weakness debuffs all at once. Now just trying to get everything to 170 +10 and work on a "light" armor guy with dual swords/swords and spear that's fire and water based. I will also have a secondary build on that guy to be ninja but it's still very meh for me outside of poison (which is awesome though).