Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Fedor

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Nocturnal Animals

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Tom Ford

Cast: Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Isla Fisher, Ellie Bamber, Armie Hammer, Karl Glusman, Robert Aramayo, Laura Linney, Andrea Riseborough, Michael Sheen, India Salvor Menuez, Imogen Waterhouse, Franco Vega, Zawe Ashton, Evie Pree, Beth Ditto, Graham Beckel, Neil Jackson, Jena Malone, Lee Benton, Kristin Bauer van Straten, Sydney Schafer, Evan Bittencourt, Janet Song, Michele Dunn, Lori Jean Wilson, Peggy Fields Richardson, Piper Major, Moose Ali Khan, Brianna Barnes, Evan Charles, Bryan Cruz, Jack Dilday, Angelina Duplisea, Deirdre DuPont, Lena Evans, Amanda Fields, Josh Ford, Jonathan Fredrick, Toni French, Alizee Gaillard, Nick Hounslow, Holly Kagis, Karli Karissa, Jason J Lai, Kerstin Lechner, Arnold Montey, Pedram Navab, Carson Nicely, Kendall O'Rorke, Christopher Pinkalla, Aleksandra Rastovic, Tonia Marie Rosée, Victor Ross II, Errol Sack, Brian Stivale, Chelsea Taylor, Charlotte Van Ierland, Jack Wallace, Jackie Zane, Maria Zyrianova

Release: 2016-11-10

Runtime: 116

Plot: A woman named Susan receives a book manuscript from her ex-husband — a man she left 20 years earlier — asking for her opinion of his writing. As she reads, she is drawn into the fictional life of Tony Hastings, a math professor whose family vacation turns violent.

Fedor

<Banned>
Michael Shannon went to Toronto film festival dressed like a Rugrat

gettyimages-602226388.jpg

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Saw this yesterday with the wife. It was definitely not what I expected and felt like a really fucked up Princess Pride (the real life vs. book storyline aspect). Pretty good suspense/drama...loved Michael Shannon's role!

BTW, you may want to miss the opening credits although I thank Screenshots for making me immune to that horseshit.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Shocked that no other posts about this movie. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. Highly recommend people to go see this!!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was a huge fan of Shannon until his recent Trump rant calling for older people to die already and we are all morons and supports CNN and all the other terrible news outlets

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Watched this last night. Can not recommend.

It was decent to good all the way up until the ending, which was one of the worst movie endings i think I've ever seen. I'm really struggling to think of a movie with a worse ending. It just made the rest of the movie feel so fucking pointless.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Watched this last night. Can not recommend.

It was decent to good all the way up until the ending, which was one of the worst movie endings i think I've ever seen. I'm really struggling to think of a movie with a worse ending. It just made the rest of the movie feel so fucking pointless.

You clearly did not see any of the foreshadowing throughout the ENTIRE movie. The ending made perfect sense.,

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Loved the ending and thought it fit perfectly, not sure what he's talking about

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Loved this film, it's up there with Moonlight for me when it comes to Best Picture

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

The problems are that the frame story is a melancholic drama, but it does not have enough room to be effective, and the story within the story is a dramatic crime story, but since it is presented as fictional, it's very difficult to care about what happens in it. If there was something clever at play linking the two stories the whole way through, it might have been interesting, but here the link is only thematic (plus some visual motives used in the transitions), so it's just emotionless pretty pictures that not even solid performances can save from being boring.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Saw the screener, was not a fan of the end sequence. The fake story was a good revenge one with Jake G playing the ultimate of pussies, but the IRL story was pretty stupid.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Torn because Jake Gyllenhaal is probably my favorite actor, but Shannon is a colossal douche. I'll probably watch it, just because it's not like I'm actually going to pay for it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to it. I'll agree that Shannon was good.

I kept expecting his character to be in on it. Or possibly setting up Gyllenhaal's character (giving him the gun to put prints on it, killing the guy, etc). There was that 2nd car at the very beginning blocking them, that eventually drove off, but nothing ever came of that 4th person. And that made me kind of disappointed.

That said, that whole sequence at the beginning was fucking intense. My heart was racing for like 45 minutes after it ended.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Yea i wasn't a huge fan, the movie was decent but the overall unsettling feeling left me feeling anxious.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Necromantic post. Rather than put this in the Netflix thread, I thought I would dig up the grave of this thread.

I watched this over the weekend and really liked it. I went in fully expecting to fats forward most of it, but it drew me in. I love Jake, and Adams is haaaaaawt when she's all made up.

Here was my confusion - I was looking for some parallel in the book story with the real life story; in other words, Jake's character writing about how Adams fucked him over and metaphorically how he felt but I really could not connect the dots.

The ending was eeeeehhhhh as well - like if they showed Jake had killed himself so that is why he didn't show up MAYBE it could have a connection to the book but I didn't get it.

I admit to not being that smart so if anyone has any insight I would welcome it. I still really enjoyed the movie - good pacing and tone.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database