Odd question (mobile/cloud storage)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've used Dropbox, Google Drive, and other cloud storage services at various times over the past few years, which got me to thinking...

Is there any sort of guide, or even software out there that would step a person through how to use their own personal PC as a "cloud" server for storing things like pictures from sources like mobile phone? Basically a way to easily & quickly transfer files from your mobile device to your home PC, while not connected to your home PC wifi network.

I guess what I'm looking for is instead of using Dropbox and its limited space, I could use a multi-TB hard drive in my personal computer as the source for all of my uploads that formerly went to dropbox. Looking for some way where I could easily upload photos as I take them, and then also access them while mobile from various devices. My home PC stays on 24/7, it would be a perfectly serviceable makeshift server, I just have no clue where to begin setting up something like this.

Any thoughts or ideas? I know doing this purely with PCs is doable(things like VPNs and such), but I wasn't sure if anything that simple was doable with mobile phones and tablets.(mostly concerned with Android, I don't own and iOS devices, and my home PCs are all Windows 7)

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think there is a thread on this forum about this very topic hidden somewhere if not then it was on foh.

There ishttp://owncloud.org/but just remember that doing this is going to take a bit of networking knowledge.

Owncloud has android and iPhone clients as well which is what you wanted.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nice, I'll start there. I wasn't even sure where to start googling for info. Thanks!