Office Document Tracking System (RFID?)

nu_11

I work in an office with a shoestring budget.

I'm wondering if there are any third-party systems or information that we can use/obtain to track the movement of documents and find documents in stasis. My immediate thoughts turn to RFID tags, however, I'm open to any suggestions. Additionally, I would like to be able to access via the web the location and/or department in which the document is currently sitting.

Does this sounds like a worthwhile system to implement? Pros/cons?

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I work in an office with a shoestring budget.

I'm wondering if there are any third-party systems or information that we can use/obtain to track the movement of documents and find documents in stasis. My immediate thoughts turn to RFID tags, however, I'm open to any suggestions. Additionally, I would like to be able to access via the web the location and/or department in which the document is currently sitting.

Does this sounds like a worthwhile system to implement? Pros/cons?
Why don't you just move your process to an electronic method?

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
We deal with a lot of rural communities. The physical copies are necessary.
It's possible to have physical copies and still have an electronic process. I can't be of much assistance without further info, but you don't really think people are putting tags on sheets of paper to track them do you? Let's just ignore the fact that the idea is pretty much insane and impossible. Do you even realize that each RFID tag is going to set you back 50 cents to a dollar if you buy them in large quantities?

I realize at first glance it seems easier to try to cater to your existing processes instead of changing the processes outright, but trust me it would be a much better idea to just bite the bullet and move to SharePoint or a similar platform. They have printers that can scan directly to SharePoint Libraries. You can associate workflow with the documents, and do a lot of other cool stuff. If you don't have a fancy IT guy you can go ahead and get Office 365 which will simplify the process a lot.

nu_11

Thank you for the help guys.

I'm going to mull over your suggestions and comments, and continue to work through the problem. It's not high-priority, so it's no big deal if nothing comes of it; even just getting feasibility options going would be good.

But please continue if there's anything more.