Qhue

Trump's Staff
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Onward (2020)

Genre: Animation, Comedy, Family, Fantasy

Director: Dan Scanlon

Cast: Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Octavia Spencer

Release: 2020-03-04

Plot: Set in a suburban fantasy world, Disney•Pixar's "Onward" introduces two teenage elf brothers who embark on an extraordinary quest to discover if there is still a little magic left out there.

Qhue

Trump's Staff

Okay I'm down. Its cutesy Shadowrun plus Tom Holland Chris Pratt is the buddy comedy team I didn't know I needed....but I do.

Womyn on Twitter seem to be already bashing it. :mad:
I'm gonna come out and say it, I'm not excited for #Onward. I mean... the premise alone (brothers search for magic so they can spend time with their dead dad) is so male-centric that it honestly makes me a little uncomfortable.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Looks good. As a whole, I've been rating Pixar movies a bit lower than average, they are either too artsy or feelsy and lack fun factor. This movie seems to have that comedic/fun factor they often miss. Helps to have a good duo behind the main characters. Starlord and Spiderman sounds fun.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I laughed at the Unicorns feeding out of the trash. If the movie can continue that kind of humor through out, it might be a good one.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Pleasantly surprised to see a male-centered movie out of these guys. I figured that was a thing of the past.

spronk

FPS noob
this movie was boring as hell, i wanted to like it a lot since it sounded interesting from the trailers and it features 3 actors I love - Julia Luis Dreyfuss (Veep), Starlord, and Spiderman - but there is just nothing here. I dunno if its some new disney mandate or something but there are no villains, no real heroes journey, no real challenge/adversity, no one tested or enduring hardship. Its just mostly people talking about their feelings and how they accept each other which is like the new Disney trope.

There is a short ~5 minute Simpsons short before this movie featuring Maggie with no voice acting and that was more fun and interesting than this whole movie.

Sorta like Bright, Will Smith's "Orc Cops Bad Boys", the world this movie paints is really interesting and cool but they do almost nothing with it. What a shame.

Don't go out to theaters and risk Corona Virus to see this boring turd

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this movie was boring as hell, i wanted to like it a lot since it sounded interesting from the trailers and it features 3 actors I love - Julia Luis Dreyfuss (Veep), Starlord, and Spiderman - but there is just nothing here. I dunno if its some new disney mandate or something but there are no villains, no real heroes journey, no real challenge/adversity, no one tested or enduring hardship. Its just mostly people talking about their feelings and how they accept each other which is like the new Disney trope.

There is a short ~5 minute Simpsons short before this movie featuring Maggie with no voice acting and that was more fun and interesting than this whole movie.

Sorta like Bright, Will Smith's "Orc Cops Bad Boys", the world this movie paints is really interesting and cool but they do almost nothing with it. What a shame.

Don't go out to theaters and risk Corona Virus to see this boring turd
it doesnt even look like something from Pixar.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe we would know what to expect if they used the tagline "From the writer/director of Monsters University" (Dan Scanlon)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I don't know. This was fine, i guess. For a kids movie. Definitely wasn't the standard I was expecting from Pixar.

I kind of went into this expecting more of a DnD come to life vibe but instead got a kind of standard sibling buddy movie.

I disagree that it didn't have stakes or a "hero's journey" element or challenge etc. I actually like the idea of doing these kinds of movies without any real villain. But the movie still has to be engaging and have a good story and exciting scenes. They could have done a lot better with this one. They didn't do a good enough job with explaining why magic wasn't used, that scene was horseshit, getting working electr5icity to every living person's home would not, in any way, be easier than magic. And the Manticore's entire existence didn't make sense. Why the fuck did she pivot to food service? Why did she pivot back? It's just random.

The one part I actually liked was how they handled the dad's few moments on Earth. Keeping that between him and the older brother was cool. I feel like they could have been a bit more subtle about the younger brother's revelation rather than just havinng a montage mid dragon fight and having him say explicitly that his brother took care of him etc. Not bad, but not good either. Just a low effort movie all around.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They need to pull the rip cord and toss this to digital ASAP. Aint nobody taking their kids to a movie theater in the midst of this. If they switched to Digital delivery they could at least benefit from the current marketing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They need to pull the rip cord and toss this to digital ASAP. Aint nobody taking their kids to a movie theater in the midst of this. If they switched to Digital delivery they could at least benefit from the current marketing.
definitely, they just opened Disney+ , if they cant use that as a vehicle to rake in some dough on new releases then they are really not good at business. If it were me i would open the fucking disney vaults as well as their Fox vaults and let everyone vedge out for the next few months and get stinking rich in the process. but they're like , nah dawg, make them go see it in theaters!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They released Frozen 2 early to Disney+, wouldn't be surprised to see more to drive subscriptions.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Subscription money might in theory make up for disc sales and rentals but I could only see Onwards being released to cable VOD. The mouse will try to squeeze every dollar.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Amusingly Universal announced this afternoon that they are doing just that.

Invisible Man, Emma, and the Hunt are available to rent digital as of this Friday and the second Trolls movie will be available the same day as it's theatrical release in April.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SDsurfer

Trakanon Raider
Chiming in to say I hope they release this on-demand. I don't have Disney+, but I would subscribe if that meant getting to see this with my kids. I'm sure I'm like most people when I say I won't be going to a theater anytime soon.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database