Opera GX

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So I've been getting pissed off with Chrome recently, but I still preferred it to any of the alternatives. I find Firefox ugly and Edge is piece of shit, Chromium was ok but it always felt a bit slow for me.

I saw that Opera was offering a new browser, and I actually liked Opera back in the day so I thought I'd try it out.

the 'gaming browser' thing kinda made me cringe, but I actually really like it from a UI and usability standpoint. It frequently uses less memory than Chrome and has all the extensions I like from Chrome. (Ublock Origin, BetterTTV, LastPass). I also really like that it has a bandwidth limiter built in.

I'd recommend it if you want to try something new anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I've been using it about 6 months now. It's pretty good. Speed wise it's about the same as Chrome. Lighter on the memory for sure. The limiters are pretty nice also.

One thing I don't like is that my "home" tab is to the far right of the browser. Everything else about it is pretty cool. Would recommend over Chrome.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Will have to check it out. That said I'm currently using Brave and have zero complaints.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So I've been getting pissed off with Chrome recently, but I still preferred it to any of the alternatives. I find Firefox ugly and Edge is piece of shit, Chromium was ok but it always felt a bit slow for me.

I saw that Opera was offering a new browser, and I actually liked Opera back in the day so I thought I'd try it out.

the 'gaming browser' thing kinda made me cringe, but I actually really like it from a UI and usability standpoint. It frequently uses less memory than Chrome and has all the extensions I like from Chrome. (Ublock Origin, BetterTTV, LastPass). I also really like that it has a bandwidth limiter built in.

Just out of curiosity, what do you find ugly about Firefox? I'm assuming you have tried different themes.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Opera is owned by the Chinese now, so if they're part of your threat model, find something else. If you're looking for a Chromium derivative, Brave is probably the best option as far as security/privacy (albeit with limited extension support.)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Just out of curiosity, what do you find ugly about Firefox? I'm assuming you have tried different themes.

Yeah a huge part is how videos and pictures are loaded, it does it smoothly and I don't really like the aesthetic. I have other issues with Firefox due to not liking the people behind Mozilla much. I have tried Firefox recently and I just didn't really like the feel of it much.

Opera is owned by the Chinese now, so if they're part of your threat model, find something else. If you're looking for a Chromium derivative, Brave is probably the best option as far as security/privacy (albeit with limited extension support.)

I don't care tbh. If I didn't use anything developed in China, half of my PC would be missing.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
One little question about browsers and I dont know where else to ask it
How can I make Opera do the following thing:

With Firefox, you download a file, then click on the Downloads icon once, and it opens the short list of recent downloads, right ? Not the whole different window, but the small drop down window. Then i could Drag and drop a downloaded file from that small window into any other on the computer... desktop, a specific folder that is already open, etc.
With Opera, i can drag and drop but only on other Opera windows. And I want to be able to drag and drop it anywhere. Pls help.