Ouya

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unboxing of the dev version was released yesterday. They better change the D-pad on that fucking controller. It looks exactly like the 360's which is total dogshit.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I think this belongs in the Tech section since the console hasn't even been released yet, not to mention any games for it.

I wonder how many backers understand what performance something like this will provide at 1920x1080 with those specs (and only 1gb of ram).

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So the Ouya is supposed to start shipping to backers tomorrow. I wonder how long it will take them to get me mine.

Anyone else back it?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I didn't know about this until today. If it gets a decent install base, seems like this could be very profitable to develop for.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I was a backer, figured it'd be something neat to tinker with.

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
So these should be shipping today to the public. Although I'm reading some of the founders of KickStarter still haven't gotten theirs.

Anyone get or planning on getting one? For $100 it certainly makes it interesting and some of the games already out for it seem decent.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
heard the controller had a quality issue...it looks and feels like a dog crap last time i heard...

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Allegedly they have "fixed" the controller issue by literally taping down something inside it...

So many things wrong with this though like Kickstarter backers not getting their units before retail launch, awful UI that allows you to easily spend money (you have to put your cc in when signing up for an account) on shit without meaning to and my personal favourite so far - They marked all the units sent to Germany as a gift to try and avoid the customers paying taxes without telling them BUT fucked up and put a gift value above the taxable amount anyway... That along with a fuck up on the way they did their CE marking means atm all Ouya units in Germany are being held by customs.

This sounded such a good idea but it's pretty much dead at launch, shitty games selection, crappy manufacturing quality and awful pr machine means it has no chance. Maybe the unit being made by the people behind Bluestacks or the GameStick device will turn out better.

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
Allegedly they have "fixed" the controller issue by literally taping down something inside it...

So many things wrong with this though like Kickstarter backers not getting their units before retail launch, awful UI that allows you to easily spend money (you have to put your cc in when signing up for an account) on shit without meaning to and my personal favourite so far - They marked all the units sent to Germany as a gift to try and avoid the customers paying taxes without telling them BUT fucked up and put a gift value above the taxable amount anyway... That along with a fuck up on the way they did their CE marking means atm all Ouya units in Germany are being held by customs.

This sounded such a good idea but it's pretty much dead at launch, shitty games selection, crappy manufacturing quality and awful pr machine means it has no chance. Maybe the unit being made by the people behind Bluestacks or the GameStick device will turn out better.
I thought I heard somewhere back when this was first announced that they wanted to do new consoles every year? Something like that. Maybe this first round will be rough and others will get better?

I like the concept and the pricepoint but if this first one flops, oh well. Would be nice to see this succeed!

At least it sounds like the PS4 will have nice indie support.

lindz

#DDs
I just ordered one of these directly from them. They seem to be sold out everywhere so wondering if they still have them available through their own store. Their support says they will be shipping the next round "asap".

It is more than just the games they currently have out, the ability to emulate other games is what I'm really interested in. Looking forward to play some of the games from our childhood with our daughter.

lindz

#DDs
Received ours yesterday. It is not very intuitive and takes some work to get it all going but it is pretty awesome. We installed dropbox to transfer roms from our computer to the console and installed the emulators from them. My daughter and husband are busy playing River City Ransom right now.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What emulator are you using? Both the SNES and NES emulators I use have input lag bad enough to make games unplayable. Of course, I expected to be able to play from bed (about 10 to 12 feet from the Ouya) with the wireless controller and I've heard distance really matters.

lindz

#DDs
We have SNES, NES, Genesis and N64 atm. The N64 isn't very good (or at least Mario Kart wasn't working well). I had DS on it as well but the the game I wanted didn't work so I just deleted it.

For controller lag, what helped for me was to move it away from other cords then turn it on its side so that the on button is facing you. I haven't had much problems with lag since I did that and I'm playing about 8 ft away.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Am I wrong in saying that the Ouya is pretty much a useless machine? Everything it can do other devices can do..

lindz

#DDs
It is basically an android device that hooks up to your TV and has controllers. If that is something you value, it isn't useless at all.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I enjoy mine. Now that I have it setup (which was a pain).

I haven't noticed any input lag. It's small enough that I can take it places and just plug into someone's tv and suddenly we're all on a nostalgia trip. Xbox and ps3 controllers work with it, so no need to buy that $50 controller.

Worth $100 imo.

Ferr_sl

shitlord
So I just bought one of these. It came in the mail today. Apparently there is a a known issue with the soldering of the USB port that causes a fair number of them to fail. Mine worked for about the first 5 minutes, and no longer functions. Anyone have any return/repair experience with these guys?