Parasite (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 4 Votes
Title: Parasite (2019)

Tagline: Act Like You Own The Place

Genre: Drama, Thriller, Comedy

Director: Bong Joon-ho

Cast: Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam, Lee Jung-eun, Chang Hyae-jin, Park Myung-hoon, Jung Ji-so, Jung Hyeon-jun, Park Keun-rok, Jung Yi-seo, Jeong Ik-han, Lee Joo-hyung, Lee Ji-hye, Andreas Fronk, Anna Elisabeth Rihlmann, Park Seo-joon, Yoon Hye-ri

Release: 2019-05-30

Runtime: 132

Plot: All unemployed, Ki-taek's family takes peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous Parks for their livelihood until they get entangled in an unexpected incident.

spronk

FPS noob

Parasite won the Palme d'Or at the 2019 Cannes film festival, the first South Korean movie to ever do so and only the second movie this decade to win unanimously - the other one being Blue is the Warmest Color aka 2 lesbians lezzing out for 2 hours.

Its in limited release in US theaters, happened to be lucky and its open at my local AMC so I watched it with A-List. Its currently sitting at 99% on Rotten Tomatoes (93% user score) so I was pretty interested to see if it lives up.

Its NOT a horror movie, which is what i thought for a long time given the title. Its a mix of a dark comedy and fairy tale, with some pointed looks at family, class and society, and wealth.

I enjoyed it. Is it a perfect movie? Nah. 8/10 is probably what I'd peg it at, maybe a bit higher. Its a bit too long, clocking in at 2 hours 12 minutes, but I was never bored at all. Its definitely interesting to see the way Asian cultures address some things, it'd play out a bit different in the West for sure.

If you get a chance I say go see it, not super complicated but enjoyable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
The director previously wrote and directed Snowpiercer and Okja by the way, I know we have a lot of fans of Snowpiercer here. It has a bit of a similar vibe although obviously vastly different stories.

Movie makes you think about family a lot.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The movie is pretty good. I know many people will not like it because it's raw, visceral and confusing.
But that is why I love Asian cinema, especially Korean.
They don't fucking care, they don't have studio execs or pressure groups to delete or change a scene because it will affect some people. It is what it is.

This movie is like you think everything is going great but something will throw you down and you have to move on, pick yourself up and start over again.
Highly recommend this.
8/10

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Its a bit too long, clocking in at 2 hours 12 minutes, but I was never bored at all.

The pacing of this movie was really interesting to me. Every time the movie came to the verge of dragging, something super interesting would happen and suck me right back in.

I loved this movie, 8 or 9 out of 10 for me. it's fucking great. The rainstorm scene was incredible.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This was pretty great. It heads off in a different direction every time you think you have it figured out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This does a really great job of taking a lot of incredibly complicated topics and humanize them in a very succinct way. I think that my only complaint with it was that it seems like he hits most of these particular themes with almost every movie but that ends up being very minor due to that fact that he's constantly expanding and refining how he approaches them so it feels like he's perfecting them towards a point rather than just retreading the same ground again. It's an incredibly well made film

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This does a really great job of taking a lot of incredibly complicated topics and humanize them in a very succinct way. I think that my only complaint with it was that it seems like he hits most of these particular themes with almost every movie but that ends up being very minor due to that fact that he's constantly expanding and refining how he approaches them so it feels like he's perfecting them towards a point rather than just retreading the same ground again. It's an incredibly well made film

Shoplifters or Parasite?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Saw this. It's incredibly long and could be shortened a bit, I think. Pretty disturbing how far a family will go, lol.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie is awesome and deserves a watch if you haven’t seen it.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Watched this a couple days ago. Absolutely loved the first 4/5 of the movie, but the end was pretty meh. I was on board right up till it got all stabby. It was such an unusual movie up until that point, then I felt it fell right into some pretty generic territory. The dad having to live in the basement was a twist that seemed forced. And the voice over final 5 minutes just a bit cheesy. Otherwise, weird and wonderful

spronk

FPS noob
I'm still really shocked it won the oscar for best picture, I don't have a problem with it and I do think its better than every movie Hollywood made this year, still not a movie that will be talked about 50 years from now but I guess every year isn't going to make a Godfather or Fury Road.

Its still though weird Hollywood picked it, I'm 90% sure most of the voters never watched it, I guess you could either chalk it up to the balloting system (favorites knock each other out of contention so #2 choices win), or Hollywood liberals trying to absolve white guilt but either way its a bit wild. I doubt the campaign for the movie was that strong, although without a Harvey Weinstein to pressure and blackmail people maybe there is a bit of a vacuum in the oscar voting that will probably get filled in the next few years by someone just as diabolical.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I liked the movie, but picture of the year? I don't know about that. I haven't seen any of the other nominee's(except Irishman) so it's hard for me to really comment on that part. I don't think Irishman was MOTY worthy either. It was just ok also.

It was a unique story, and that is why I liked it.

Fadaar

That guy
Definitely an interesting movie and worthy of a best picture nomination. As the winner though? I don't know. So far I've watched 6 of the 9 movies, haven't seen 1917, Little Women, or Marriage Story. Little Women has been done before and I've seen the old version so no intention of watching. Bored tonight after work so might actually watch Marriage Story but only because I actually like all the actors involved otherwise it'd be a hard pass. My list based purely off my enjoyment:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2. Ford v Ferrari
3. Parasite
4. Jojo Rabbit
5. Joker
6. The Irishman

If I saw all the movies I'd probably have 1917 at either #1 or #2 I'd guess, still waiting for a proper home release. Irishman would probably stay at the bottom, I just didn't enjoy it. Way too fucking long and I think Joe Pesci should have been nominated for supporting actor over Pacino, he was great.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally saw this. It is a 7/10. Shocked that it won Best Picture.

The first hour or so is great, and then the second half of the movie is a fucking train wreck.

The only thing I can figure is that the academy pulled their predictable bullshit move of condemning their own lifestyles, like it makes things all better. Typical Hollywood elitists.

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Saw it on Monday. Thought it was good, but not best picture worthy.

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database