Passport photo

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Who has done their passport photo at home, and had their application or renewal accepted? My original was done at the local post office and it looked like I was a prison convict (I'll be honest, I was stoned out of my mind, it was 10 years ago), but it was perfectly accepted. I'm looking to renew and avoid the extra $25+ and delay in receiving said photo. We do have a photo printer. Just curious if anyone has had any success or otherwise doing it on their own. Tips? Advice? Etc.

Also, about how long have you had to wait for a renewal? I paid for accelerated delivery to and fro, with accelerated processing, which was all fairly pricey on first time applicant, and ultimately useless given it was for a flight with an ex that resulted in a missed flight out of a private airport since they decided flying on 9/11 was bad juju, even in 2008.

I also have a foreign birth country even though I'm a US citizen, which originally wasn't a problem, but I have been harassed by foreign and US customs, even if I look like a white supremacist with an ironically middle eastern birth country. US politics are a shit show apparently when I'm more harassed than my terrorist looking Mexican friends. But that's just for funny commentary, even if it's accurate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Photos are $15 at Walgreens and you're done in minutes. The requirements if you want to do it yourself aren't complicated, but they are specific. It was never worth my hassle even with a professional quality printer.

Renewal times can be seasonal. If you're renewing during the off-season it can be quick. Leading into the summer waits can be months.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just goto cvs dude, at home pics are like rejection fodder

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Heck now that i think about it, goto a library, my wife and i got it done at the library was easily the nicest and smoothest transaction (yes they have photocam, since they make id's)

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah seriously, just let someone that's set up to do it take care of it. It's not worth the weeks of waiting for whatever you're thing to get done only to get rejected for a bad photo.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Didn't think about CVS or Walgreens. Need to lookup that. All I know is every local post office had a two hour wait and cost $40...

joz123

Potato del Grande
I think I did mine at Costco for like 20 bucks a few years ago.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Didn't think about CVS or Walgreens. Need to lookup that. All I know is every local post office had a two hour wait and cost $40...
library, call and make an appointment, usually they only take cash/check, just call. you want the application done right? not just the photo?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've always done my passport/visa photos at home. Just google a photoshop template so you can get the proper spacing and they print at the right size. The hardest part is the lighting but I always just get into a well lit room (open all the shades turn on all the lights) and hold a glossy piece of white cardboard angled toward my face and works perfect.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Who has done their passport photo at home, and had their application or renewal accepted? My original was done at the local post office and it looked like I was a prison convict (I'll be honest, I was stoned out of my mind, it was 10 years ago), but it was perfectly accepted. I'm looking to renew and avoid the extra $25+ and delay in receiving said photo. We do have a photo printer. Just curious if anyone has had any success or otherwise doing it on their own. Tips? Advice? Etc.

Also, about how long have you had to wait for a renewal? I paid for accelerated delivery to and fro, with accelerated processing, which was all fairly pricey on first time applicant, and ultimately useless given it was for a flight with an ex that resulted in a missed flight out of a private airport since they decided flying on 9/11 was bad juju, even in 2008.

I also have a foreign birth country even though I'm a US citizen, which originally wasn't a problem, but I have been harassed by foreign and US customs, even if I look like a white supremacist with an ironically middle eastern birth country. US politics are a shit show apparently when I'm more harassed than my terrorist looking Mexican friends. But that's just for funny commentary, even if it's accurate.

Forgot CVS and all those. Highway robbery $15 for 2 pics. Costco is $5!!! for 4. Just got 8 for ATF suppressor applications.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
FYI, you go to the drug store where the minimum wage high schooler is working, and there's a chance they don't know how to take the picture either. I've had one rejected that I got at CVS. But if you do that, maybe you can get a look at their guidelines for photos and figure out how to do them yourself.

In fairness, when that happened another guy at work said he had one rejected that was taken at the post office. So apparently there's no way to get a guarantee.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ha, b/c of consequences, couldn't take my own advice and took iphone photo (with app call passport photo) in garage (its the room that is white and won't create shadows with lots of lighting)

walgreens wanted 14.99 for a 2x2 passport photo!

The app will save/send it as 2x2 or 4x6, cuz
1e515a2504cc772380f152767a854e15.png

just cut it out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
updated, i've done this twice

once for my wife, worked flawless

secondtime for myself, got rejected, same app, same garage.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did mine at Walgreens. Took about 3 minutes and left with pic in hand. Not worth risking a home photo sinc they're so strict

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We have a photo store here who does it for $8, regardless of which country passport you're renewing (I have two). You can make an appointment, and they guarantee it's done inside of 10 minutes. Used it for every passport renewal for the last 15 years for all seven people in the family, have never had a rejected photo.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Did it at home, holding up an off white background first time and all is well, did it a second time through CVS and also worked. Either way we had to go to the post office to process the application with pictures and application in hand.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did it at home, holding up an off white background first time and all is well, did it a second time through CVS and also worked. Either way we had to go to the post office to process the application with pictures and application in hand.
oh these were for first timers (i'm guessing your kids), renewal is easy with a ds82, they even form fill for you online, just print and sign.