Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally dug into this. Still early on but damn the way they simplified reach weapons makes them so crazy strong. Kinda regret picking paladin for Kingmaker after reading how sparse evil actually is, should have saved it for WotR, but thats fine because WotR looks much more amenable to multiple playthroughs than Kingmaker does with how wild some of the evil mythic paths are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Finally dug into this. Still early on but damn the way they simplified reach weapons makes them so crazy strong. Kinda regret picking paladin for Kingmaker after reading how sparse evil actually is, should have saved it for WotR, but thats fine because WotR looks much more amenable to multiple playthroughs than Kingmaker does with how wild some of the evil mythic paths are.
WotR turned out to be 25% of my total playtime on steam last year. These are deep! I need to do a kingmaker rerun. I gave up as I couldn't figure out what/where to go next and never finished the story. I don't think I knew you could turn the land management over to AI and it was driving me nuts. That said I still played it for 55 hours. I do love these game and cannot wait for the Warhammer game this developer is making to come out. You definitely get your money's worth!

• 1Like

Caliane

yeah. wotr is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites.
I started a secondplaythrough. evil kineticist.. but couldnt really get into being evil. so didn't even make it out of shield maze.. but started a shadow shaman Angel, and am now at the end of act 3.

477 hours in Wotr so far.

lots of small quality of life additions to wotr. itd be hard to go back to kingmaker I think. also, its not nearly as replayable. which is Wotr's biggest claim to fame for sure. the huge number of classes, and mythic path questlines being a big enough branch, that each feels like its own story.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I personally like kingmaker more because its not filled with so much fucking dialogue as wotr is.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I personally like kingmaker more because its not filled with so much fucking dialogue as wotr is.
This. WotR's systems are much better, but holy fuck I had no idea you could ruin a game about one of my favorite settings (angels vs. demons) by all the fucking blabbing. I only made it about 60% of the way through the game cause I just couldn't be bothered. The amount of exposition in the game is fucking nuts - I get it already, move the fuck on.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
This. WotR's systems are much better, but holy fuck I had no idea you could ruin a game about one of my favorite settings (angels vs. demons) by all the fucking blabbing. I only made it about 60% of the way through the game cause I just couldn't be bothered. The amount of exposition in the game is fucking nuts - I get it already, move the fuck on.
Pathfinder went from being a video game based in the Pathfinder setting (Kingmaker) to being a role play session DMd by Matt Mercer simulation (WotR)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems like I could tolerate it for the lulz of seeing how the world reacts to being a lich or a swarm that walks

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So for whatever reason I lost interest in this right at the end of the first act (killed the Stag Lord but hadn't started the Barony yet) but I picked it back up recently as part of my 'reduce the goddamn backlog' initiative and have been making pretty steady progress with a dreadful reach paladin. If I have a regret it's that I chose to play a paladin in Kingmaker which is full of "neutral" bandits and fey instead of saving it for WotR which is wall to wall evil shit.

If I have a second regret it's that I've gotten to the point where this awful 4000 dollar backer quest gates further story progression and you have to listen to some insufferable chump gab on about his DnD character, and while there is an option to just kill everyone you're incentivized against it because siding with the terrible quest writer gets you access to a pretty amazing merchant.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So for whatever reason I lost interest in this right at the end of the first act (killed the Stag Lord but hadn't started the Barony yet) but I picked it back up recently as part of my 'reduce the goddamn backlog' initiative and have been making pretty steady progress with a dreadful reach paladin. If I have a regret it's that I chose to play a paladin in Kingmaker which is full of "neutral" bandits and fey instead of saving it for WotR which is wall to wall evil shit.

If I have a second regret it's that I've gotten to the point where this awful 4000 dollar backer quest gates further story progression and you have to listen to some insufferable chump gab on about his DnD character, and while there is an option to just kill everyone you're incentivized against it because siding with the terrible quest writer gets you access to a pretty amazing merchant.
For your character, get the toolbox mod to do a full respec and change class/race? Also, haven't replayed this game in years, what merchant is that?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For your character, get the toolbox mod to do a full respec and change class/race? Also, haven't replayed this game in years, what merchant is that?
Merchant (Brineheart) the "amazing" part is mainly that the stuff he sells comes quite a bit earlier than you would normally have access to stuff like dual +6 or triple +4 belts.

I'm not respeccing my character, just laughing about how many of the villains in Kingmaker aren't actually evil. It's sort of understandable with Fey since their thought processes are sort of alien but it's funny how many 'neutral' bandits there are.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some thoughts after finishing the campaign.

A) Whoever wrote the original PnP module is a fucking sadist. Some of the monsters you fight are the kind of things that only a DM who completely hates his players would dig out of a monster manual. Swarms are bad enough but have solid counters. Mandragora swarms might be the most awful thing ever conceived. Fey as an enemy in general is kind of a fuck you to your players, especially the Fallen Hunt and double especially Fallen Hunt Monarchs. The armies of ghosts with class levels in the endgame are pretty rude too, especially considering the scarcity of ghost touch. Honorable mention to the Weretiger rogues in one of the early boss fights of the Tenebrous Depths whose pouncing on my flat footed back line forced my very first reload.

B) Game is still buggy as shit, I can't imagine what it was like at initial launch

C) I can see why some of the special endings have such a low achievement rate, a single failed perception check at the wrong time can fuck you out of So Shall You Reap along with all the other ways to screw it up and Tricks in Time must have been discovered through datamining lol.

D) I jokingly whined about the abundance of neutral enemies but there were enough evil baddies to completely wreck with Mark of Justice that I was satisfied, like Ilthuliak, the Spawn of Rovagug, or even that named Anus Hag near the end.

I definitely understand the loyalty that players have towards Owlcat now despite what a fucking mess their games have been at release, so few studios make games like this anymore. I've heard Wrath of the Righteous gets pretty verbose but I'm looking forward to it.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Started playing it on xbx a few days ago. Buggy. Lags every 5-10s for some reason, even in menus, really odd. And man do I HATE swarms, dafuq Owlcat.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Some thoughts after finishing the campaign.

I definitely understand the loyalty that players have towards Owlcat now despite what a fucking mess their games have been at release, so few studios make games like this anymore. I've heard Wrath of the Righteous gets pretty verbose but I'm looking forward to it.

I liked kingmaker, but wrath is just better in every way. The scope of it is just crazy - there really isn't anything else that works such epic high level stuff into the game I can think of.

Worst part really is that it's just so long - there's plenty of paths I'd like to try but it's just too big a time commitment for another playthrough.

• 1Like