Pax Dei

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Going to be available as a Mobile MMO so already marked for garbage no matter what else they promise.

• 8Like
  • 3Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That feeling when you watch that teaser then see "Mobile MMO".

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Back in 2021, we caught wind of a new Microsoft-backed MMO called Pax Dei from studio Mainframe Industries, which had been busy raising huge sacks of cash from investors like Mike Morhaime and Hilmar Petursson. As of today, we’re finally getting a full announcement of what the game actually is, and that’s… something our readers are definitely going to want to watch. For starters, Pax Dei is billed as an “immense, player-driven, social sandbox – an MMO with community and emergent gameplay at its heart.”

“Welcome to the fantastical world of Pax Dei. Inspired by the mythologies of the medieval era, Pax Dei aims to deliver an MMO experience that returns to the roots of the genre with a player-driven and community-focused design, updated and brought into the modern age in stunning visuals created using the Unreal Engine 5.”

“Pax Dei is the fusion of two high-level concepts: The vision of a living fantasy world inspired by the traditions & legends of the medieval era. Here, myths are real, ghosts exist, and magic is unquestioned. In your home valley, life is relatively safe and peaceful. As you venture out into the wider world, however, things begin to change. The further you travel from home, the stranger things get. Anything becomes possible. Our belief in human interaction as the ultimate source of fun. The most memorable game experiences are the ones you share with friends. That’s why we’re building Pax Dei as a sandbox, where players are free to set their own goals. And we’re doing it at true MMO scale. The result is an open-world playground where you can build your home, create a thriving village with your friends, and engage with thousands of other players to make this world your own. We can’t wait to see the stories that will come to life.”

The pitch promises an open-world sandbox where different playstyles complement each other and thrive, with modularly constructed player housing, villages, “extensive” character customization, PvP, and a persistent and seamless world built in UE5.

“Skinning a basilisk, choosing between war and peace, picking flowers: it all matters. In a fully player-driven world, all play styles connect and complement each other. Pax Dei welcomes players of every type to join the community and be part of the stories about to take shape,” Mainframe says.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Half Baked Boo GIF

• 1Solidarity

Xevy

Log Wizard
I actually applied to alpha earlier today. Sounds interesting, but 0% chance it works out. Think they're thinking that a society/economy will rise up from nothing, but video games are always subject to hacking/exploiting/botting and shit so we'll see. I'd love a tabula rasa type game where you physically build your empire, no quests or guides. Just fiber hut to wood cabin to rock house to stone castle type shit.

Then they have to make it pvp viable or add some ridiculous decay to make it have a reason to drive forward.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
game backed by Blizzard lore guy and EVE Online lead developer. it has potential. but Mobile? bleh

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would love to play a mobile mmo that wasn't complete monetization fuckfest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Little info out so far but the mobile stuff wes mentioned as a byproduct of Unreals ability to cross platform and would come later.

After getting mugwhumped by Crowfall. I ain't buying in early. (Hides the Ashes of Creation receipt)

I just want something fun to play that doesn't bore me to tears, or nickels and dimes out bullshit, or slaps me with the fat cock of Shaneequa the transgender boogaloostien.

Someone, just make a great game. Please.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Ehh I'm up for trying it, Alpha is free.

Anyone have a group code (made when you opt-in for the alpha)? I'm guessing you get better chances at getting in Alpha is you are grouped.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
A less-spreadsheety fantasy Eve is a compelling pitch. Something worth keeping an eye on, at the very least.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Read another article about this game, its not necessarily mobile, its going to be cloud native and playable from a variety of devices, with complexity based on the device you are using. Remember the original division ads where the main game was a looter shooter but you could play it on a tablet and do like a minigame weapon/supply drops that interacted with the actual world? Or think about dust 514 which was a ps3 fps game that took place inside the eve universe, fps players showed up in local in eve zones and could chat with pc eve players, and could call for orbital bombardments from capital ships in eve?

All that shit was pie in the sky 10 years ago that got scrapped or didnt really pan out, but maybe the tech is there to support it now.

Also this is from some of the original eve developers along with a few other guys from various studios like blizzard etc.

Eve devs were always pushing boundaries with tech and what was possible in games like this so i have absolute faith they can pull off a completely player driven economy in a fantasy sandbox, my only concern is that they dont know when to quit and waste resources on feature creep. Hopefully joining with more level headed folks from og blizzard and being bank rolled by microsoft reins them in.

Last edited:

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Al this depends on three things: 1) A core team of Leads, Project Managers, and techs who can execute technically and know their limits, as well develop the vision and can present that to Executives who believe in it; 2) Executives who give said Leads/Teams/Techs the space and resources to make that vision happen and resist the calls to overmonitize and release early; 3) Investors and Board Members who are smart enough to let 1 and 2 do their jobs. The lack of balance between the three is why these projects so rarely come together or live long enough to reach their potential.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah thats how you end up with walking in stations in eve or end up with giant ponzi schemes like star citizen, or rudderless regression like pantheon.

Having executives who know when to say no is the key missing ingredient in all these failed ventures and "almost good" games.

Boards/money guys have no problem demanding to release early or over monetize, developers have no problem letting feature creep become scope creep trying to "perfect" their creations. Executives able to tell both sides when to fuck off is whats missing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It being on Unreal 5 is really interesting. Will probably be a huge boon while adding risk due to how new Unreal 5 is. Unreal 4 never really got a lot of traction as a game to build AAA MMOs on, but Unreal 5 has a ton of compelling advantages and the cost of building a "Black Desert Game Engine" for an MMO is increasing every year.

Biggest question is how it'll be monetized. Until that's answered it's hard to get interested.

The concept of a "mobile version" that lets you play with limited actions is interesting, but the goal of increasing the scope of mobile playability risks cannibilizing compelling gameplay with a full set of PC (or console) controls.

Last edited: