Phobia of flying...what to take?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
For 30 years I have avoided flying because of work. For college I drove/trains depending on the where we were playing games. Looks like I can't avoid this any longer, and need a solution to relax me, and still be functional. Also, something that they will allow me on the plane I guess if I "look" intoxicated. Xanax I am told might not be an option for some reason, I forget why.

I have tried 20 years ago or so to fly. Passed out the 1st time. Freaked out the second. I'm fairly large (310 pounds)...so I'm also worried about any disturbance I MIGHT make with all the rules I am reading about.

I am not scared of flying per say...I am scared of putting my life in someone else's hand 100%. (I have seen the shrink over this BS, and that is what he came up with).

Weed brownies? I never smoked weed...Can you get shit faced and on a plane? Any suggestions?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
VCw9Id.gif

• 12Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 12 users

Vinen

God is dead
For 30 years I have avoided flying because of work. For college I drove/trains depending on the where we were playing games. Looks like I can't avoid this any longer, and need a solution to relax me, and still be functional. Also, something that they will allow me on the plane I guess if I "look" intoxicated. Xanax I am told might not be an option for some reason, I forget why.

I have tried 20 years ago or so to fly. Passed out the 1st time. Freaked out the second. I'm fairly large (310 pounds)...so I'm also worried about any disturbance I MIGHT make with all the rules I am reading about.

I am not scared of flying per say...I am scared of putting my life in someone else's hand 100%. (I have seen the shrink over this BS, and that is what he came up with).

Weed brownies? I never smoked weed...Can you get shit faced and on a plane? Any suggestions?

Do not take drugs before going to the airport.
Do not do this.

My recommendation is given your size book a Premium Economy or better. Also have a drink or two on the airport before boarding the plane. Also don't be a pussy.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I'm a skydiving instructor on the weekend fam. Come take a jump with me. I'll cure ya right up.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ativan

Make sure the doc knows how much based on weight before it makes you too relaxed.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Kinda on topic ... sorta

I don't get anxiety from flying but I do get crazy anxiety from being away from my kids for extended periods of time on work trips. My brain thinks my family is incapable of surviving without me for more than a few days, so if I'm in Sydney, how are they going to survive! THAT'S LIKE 24 HOURS OF NONSTOP FLIGHTS AND LAYOVERS. I WON'T MAKE IT BACK IN TIME!

The feeling would fade after a couple days away but that first little bit was massive anxiety. Ativan in the fist 24 hours made it much easier.

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can get shitfaced on a plane as long as you have enough self control to keep your mouth shut and aren't the kind of drunk that might decide to stand on the flight attendant's cart and take a dump. Alcohol is available 24-7 at most airports and on planes partly for this reason.

Also -

Also don't be a pussy.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If it.evee.possible, just take the train. I don't mind flying at all, but a train ride is so much more relaxing

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
If it.evee.possible, just take the train. I don't mind flying at all, but a train ride is so much more relaxing

Fuck that our infrastructure is shit and it takes too long.

Also half the times trains cost more than flying now... WTF?

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I get pretty anxious when flying, definitely not scared but I get nervous sweats and bowels.

Ativan sort of helps, but I find it makes me overly tired.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He'd have to leave via south station in Boston and that place made me want to fucking kill myself

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If I had to ride Amtrak because I 100% knew in advance that my plane was going down I would still think twice about it. People survive plane crashes sometimes.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If I had to ride Amtrak because I 100% knew in advance that my plane was going down I would still think twice about it. People survive plane crashes sometimes.

I just took the train to DC from Boston about two months ago. Took the Acela. It was 8 1/2 fuckin HOURS. With a metric fuckton of stops. ONCE I think we hit full speed.

On top of that South Station in Boston is absolute SHIT to deal with. Getting there. The pain in the ass dumb fucks who work there. The rudeness of people...Never again. I rather drive than the train.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Fuck that our infrastructure is shit and it takes too long.

Also half the times trains cost more than flying now... WTF?
Only travel for work, so when I need to go to NYC, I can always take the train even if it costs more, but yea it is odd that a flight from DC to NYC is always cheaper than the train

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just took the train to DC from Boston about two months ago. Took the Acela. It was 8 1/2 fuckin HOURS. With a metric fuckton of stops. ONCE I think we hit full speed.

On top of that South Station in Boston is absolute SHIT to deal with. Getting there. The pain in the ass dumb fucks who work there. The rudeness of people...Never again. I rather drive than the train.
I went through there everyday for 6 months and it was miserable. Not to mention the red line area was gutter trash

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

Uhh sounds like you took the wrong Acela

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I would probably try Xanax first before you ask for Ativan. Also, it sounds like you are scared of flying rather than putting your life in others' hands (nice try, though).

As Vinen mentioned, request for premium economy seating for the large seats (if you can't afford first). Try and sit in the aisle because of...well. Fat.

If you have a virtual reality game or play video games, try and play games that are first person perspective while going into airplanes. Desensitization should hopefully fix it.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
riding on a plane is like riding on a bus.

I'm not a big traveller. I've done it a few times. The anticipation is far worse than the reality.

Because look, if it does crash, you'll only have about 60-90 seconds to be afraid. And then you'll be a pink on fire smear in a crater.

There are much worse ways to die.

• 2Like