Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This argument never gets anywhere and just always gets polarized, but from my perspective...

Dogs are valuable companions and I recommend every family have them. Not just for protection, but for companionship. Depression is a very common human affliction and dogs help so much with that.

Yes, they come with a risk. So does fucking everything. Just like we shouldn't outlaw pools or get rid of swingsets, the benefits that dogs bring to a society I believe far outweigh the damage that some deranged dogs and their owners bring on others.
Haha the last thing we need in this world is more dogs. Too many fucking retards already have one or three.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Actually I don't see why you'd have a problem with criminal liability for your dogs actions. After all, you're claiming its all about the owners, and YOUR dog will NEVER harm anyone. So this liability would never apply to you, would it? Wouldn't it only apply to those "bad" owners that do have ticking time bombs? And don't we want to convince those people that owning a dog is a bad idea?

Or, are you not willing to take the risk of going to prison if your dog snaps? If not, why am I willing to take the risk of your dog killing my kids? Kinda goes hand in hand, does it not?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Well that is like, your opinion man.

Pretty much no one here is defending dogs that attack a human. They are defending dogs in general from the claim that they are all ticking timebombs waiting to rape your children.
I'd rather not have to worry about my daughter getting hurt by an animal some depressed asshole "needs" for feels. No matter how slim the actual chance is.

iannis

Musty Nester
You notice how Hodj stops posting for a day and everyone starts dogfighting?

Much like his longfathers, he was the keystone. The Great Uniter.

RIP you glorious bastard. You magnificent Republican Son of the Confederacy.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Actually I don't see why you'd have a problem with criminal liability for your dogs actions. After all, you're claiming its all about the owners, and YOUR dog will NEVER harm anyone. So this liability would never apply to you, would it? Wouldn't it only apply to those "bad" owners that do have ticking time bombs? And don't we want to convince those people that owning a dog is a bad idea?

Or, are you not willing to take the risk of going to prison if your dog snaps? If not, why am I willing to take the risk of your dog killing my kids? Kinda goes hand in hand, does it not?
In before their dogs are their children

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

The reason I mostly don't like the assumed criminal liability part is because I've seen too many kids punk pets day after day and need a good mauling. I remember a dog in my grandparents neighborhood that we talked up as being a fearsome beast Sandlot style
o-SANDLOT-GIANT-THE-BEAST-PUPPET-IN-STREET-570.jpg

So in response we'd cruise by, throw a few sticks at it and run away like little shits.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You notice how Hodj stops posting for a day and everyone starts dogfighting?

Much like his longfathers, he was the keystone. The Great Uniter.

RIP you glorious bastard. You magnificent Republican Son of the Confederacy.
The problem with your theory was I didn't stop posting.

They're always like this lol.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

Dog owners should be entirely at fault for anything their dog does, it's no different than leaving a loaded gun out on the table, and it's easy to fuck up.

I trusted my dog, i trained my dog, my dog would always wait by the opened front door (when we come in or go out). Then one memorial day (i remember cuz we were bringing out coolers of food to another house party) after 8ish years of following the rules, he snaps, and decides "FUCK IT, i'mma make a run for it" i'm holding a cooler full of food and see this red dog run out of my house and i still thought "is that my dog?".

in the end, a nice neighbor saw a tired dog limp around (cuz he has that busted leg) and put him in her garage and a few minutes later, she sees this crazed woman(My gf) run around screaming a name and she put 2+2 and said "heres your dog".

Entirely my fault? yup 100%, wtf can you say?
"oh he never ran away like that b4, until today"
"oh he always listened, until today"

"until today" could be someones mauling as well.

"he never attacked a persons jugular, until today"

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Never been a fan of pit bulls. I understand that they're not all bad dogs but they are significantly worse than almost any other breed dog for dog as far as risk. Chows are for sure bigger dickheads but I don't know if they're as dangerous.
It's no secret which breeds are aggressive and are by far more apt to attack people/animals AND for it to be a serious problem. So no bullshit about cocker spaniels being the most dangerous breed or some nonsense because they bite every ankle they've ever seen.
Just get a lab and be done with it.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
that is about the dumbest thing I've ever read in the history of arguing about pit bulls.
Why is saying that they were bred to be good fighters (not just one trait, mind you) dumb?

"As soon as we dock their tails and crop their ears -- as is the case with fighting breeds -- welose critical communication with the dog. The main impediment to reading a dog's communicationis when the dog is a fighting breed. The best strategy for a fighting breed is to not communicateyour intention. This is why we hear about so may fighting breeds attacking without warning. Meaning there wasno growl, there was no bark, there was no direct stare, the dog just went from point a to point band did what he wanted to do. Likewise, they are disrespectful of the traditional signs of submission and appeasement. Whenyour German Shepard fights with your Lab, in a play fight or even a serious fight and one of thedogs goes belly up that is a cut off signal, it is an infantile, juvenile signal and wolves were wired tosay, When I see someone roll over like a puppy does, I don't want to hurt my own puppies, I betterstop showing aggression. So most dogs are hardwired to respond to a display of submission bycutting off aggression because it means you have won. But if you area fighting dog and the object is to inflict the most damage possible, a submissivegesture is just a new opening. In the early 80's, I started hearing from the Humane Society aboutthe fighting breeds they were getting (and they did not know what they were getting). They wouldput that dog into a pen with a German Shepherd, and the German Shepherd speaks "dog," theyplay by wolf rules, and the German Shepherd would go belly up, and the pit bull would justdisembowel him. They don't speak that language. They ignore that signal. And that's one of the most devastating things we have done to fighting dogs. Is that we havedestroyed their ability to speak good wolf or good dog. And they've taken it even one step further.The truly sinister communicator not only doesn't tell you what he feels or what he is going to donext. He lies to you. Fighting dogs lie all the time. I experienced it first hand when I was investigating three pit bullsthat killed a little boy in Georgia. When I went up to do an initial evaluation of the dog's behavior.The dog came up to the front of the fence, gave me a nice little tail wag and a "play bow" -- a littlesolicitation, a little greeting. As I got closer, he lunged for my face. It was one of those "ah ha" experiences. Yeah, that would really work. That would really work ina dog pit. Because 99% of dogs are going to read that as "Oh boy I am your friend, let's play --and there's my opening". I said, How evil is that? That we have been able to create a dog that cando something like that?
http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/2004-exc...nforcement.pdf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What a bunch of unsubstantiated tripe.

*edit*

You don't dock ears and tails on fighting dogs to hide the signs that they're about to attack, you dock them so that the other dog has less to grab a hold of. He has no evidence that the breed is genetically predisposed to attack without warning or while lying with their body language beyond 'oh that totally happened to me once'. They also aren't genetically predisposed to ignore signs of submission, they're fucking trained to do that.

Dude who wrote that article is just as much of a fucking idiot as the person who posted a link to it.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Randall Lockwood has degrees in psychology and biology from Wesleyan University and a doctorate incomparative and physiological psychology from Washington University. He served as vice president forresearch and educational outreach for the Humane Society of the United States until 2005, when hebecame the ASPCA's Senior Vice President for Anti-Cruelty Initiatives and Training. For more than 25years, Lockwood has worked closely with humane societies, animal control agencies and lawenforcement, serving as an expert on wolf and dog behavior, dog aggression, dog bite prevention andillegal dogfighting. He has been an advisor on animal-related issues to the Centers for Disease Controland the United States Postal Service.
Dr Randall Lockwood, PhD - Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics
Dr Lockwood co-editedCruelty to Animals and Interpersonal Violence(Purdue University Press, 1998), and co-authoredForensic Investigation of Animal Cruelty: A Guide for Veterinary and Law Enforcement Professionals(Humane Society Press, 2006). He also authoredProsecuting Animal Cruelty Cases: Opportunities for Early Response to Crime and Interpersonal Violence (ASPCA, 2006) published by the American Prosecutors Research Institute, andDogfighting Toolkit for Law Enforcement: Addressing Dogfighting in Your Community(2011), published by the U.S. Department of Justice.
Oh, but you had a pit bull once? OK.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How many undocumented pit bulls are there in your trailer home Gavin? Do you breed them out back where you keep the chickens and the old car you're going to restore one day?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't live in a trailer, don't have an old car or chickens. It's cute that you're so mad though.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's pretty sad that the bloodthirsty pits killed your chickens. Maybe if you get some puppies soon you can sell them to make a payment on a car.