Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never can believe the myths about pitbull origins because there are so many unsubstantiated ones.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
All i know is, fuck rescuing a pitbull once it's undergone "training", by the michal vicks of the world. once they get their hands on that dog and put it through the torture training, that dog is fucksville. (i've seen the docs, they train this dog like an olympic athlete, running constantly on treadmills, upgrading it from 10lb doggie chain, to a 20lb doggie chain and so on)

You just gotta kill them, yea it sucks to be that pitbull, it's an innocent, but it's also beyond fucked for rehabilitation.

A lot of pitbull attacks, are from pitbull rescues, they were either rescued from fights or taken away or given up, but they've gone through the training.

Now this isn't a thing against pitbulls, the michael vicks of the world, all choose the pitbull, so that's where they get fucked. the michael vicks could have all chosen bloodhounds, and bloodhounds would be the shit on breed, it's the horrific training they're put through.

this is about best doc i've seen

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Everyone involved in dog fighting needs to get a bullet in the back of the head. Youre a fucking degenerate sociopath and dont deserve to live on this world.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tuco, I have an English mastiff named Bruiser. Great dog, sweet, fucking chow hound, and a hair ball. No photos, he is at the farm with my dad. Had* some on my old phone.

I grew up with labs because we used them as retrievers, a few cousins had pits, and I got one in college. There is nothing inherently wrong with the breed. Don't give a fuck what Dr Gonzo says. His experiences are highly likely to be influenced by sample bias.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All i know is, fuck rescuing a pitbull once it's undergone "training", by the michal vicks of the world. once they get their hands on that dog and put it through the torture training, that dog is fucksville. (i've seen the docs, they train this dog like an olympic athlete, running constantly on treadmills, upgrading it from 10lb doggie chain, to a 20lb doggie chain and so on)

You just gotta kill them, yea it sucks to be that pitbull, it's an innocent, but it's also beyond fucked for rehabilitation.

A lot of pitbull attacks, are from pitbull rescues, they were either rescued from fights or taken away or given up, but they've gone through the training.

Now this isn't a thing against pitbulls, the michael vicks of the world, all choose the pitbull, so that's where they get fucked. the michael vicks could have all chosen bloodhounds, and bloodhounds would be the shit on breed, it's the horrific training they're put through.
I agree, any pit, or really any dog of any breed, that has been put through the brutality of dog fighting needs to be put down, no questions asked. That dog will always be dangerous no matter what kind of socialization therapy you put it through, and lets be honest, there are hundreds and thousands of other dogs being destroyed at shelters each year that could use a home, and they haven't been put through dog fighting.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Tuco, I have an English mastiff named Bruiser. Great dog, sweet, fucking chow hound, and a hair ball. No photos, he is at the farm with my dad. Had* some on my old phone.

I grew up with labs because we used them as retrievers, a few cousins had pits, and I got one in college. There is nothing inherently wrong with the breed. Don't give a fuck what Dr Gonzo says. His experiences are highly likely to be influenced by sample bias.
His experiences? What about yours, lol. It's not like there's statistics or actuarial tables taking this into account... Oh wait, there is.
I couldn't care less what animals anyone owns IF they are properly kept. The fact is that many aggressive dog breeds have a habit of "accidents" and they never seem to be just the owner but rather kids, delivery guy, postman, etc.

In short if you want to play steak with an animal, be my guest. But don't take your pit bull or ocelot or rhino down to the local park then just become "baffled" when it too goes apeshit and murders someone.

There's a responsible way to own aggressive dogs and unfortunately hint, hint, it's not letting them near children, old people and the infirm and it's not putting them anywhere where you do not have positive control of the animal in all cases.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

English mastiffs are great dogs.

Note that on:Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the mastiff attacks are from bull mastiffs. Only one is from an english mastiff.

I'm not an expert on dogs, but I believe bull mastiffs are descended from english mastiffs and bred to be guard dogs. In other words, they bred the nastiest english mastiffs for enough generations to get a guard dog from them.

So when I say, "rots, pits, mastiffs, dobermans' etc, I'm being a little unfair to the english mastiff since it's all the bull mastiff's fault.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
There is nothing inherently wrong with the breed. Don't give a fuck what Dr Gonzo says. His experiences are highly likely to be influenced by sample bias.
yea, saying the breed is fucked up, is like saying all black ppl are criminals cuz of statistics, cuz in the end lets face it, a breed is no different than a race.

Thats what i say to ppl who prefer a certain dog breed (or hate on another), you're being a dog racist, why not just love all dogs.

I mean of course there are many instances where this makes tons of sense, back in PA, i had a friend (well wifes friend) who rescued huskies only, she also had 2 gorgeous huskies of her own, of course well trained and these 2 huskies would "correct" bad behavior from the rescued dogs. (cuz thats what happens when a pack forms, the alpha tells the beta whats up and down the line, and they act all normal like).

hating on a breed is mostly a media issue, look at all these news stories "Pitbull attacks child!", the media goes out to vilify pitbulls, b/c it's easy, cuz ppl associate pitbulls = bad. and everyone gets to say in their heads "y'know i knew that pitbull was gonna go crazy, hmm-hmm"

but you're never gonna see "Golden Retriever attacks child!"

Based on 6,500 reported dog bites between 2012 and 2013, the top five biting breeds* in the Denver area are:

1.Labs
2.German Shepherds
3.Pit Bulls
4.Chihuahuas
5.Bulldogs
i mean from just a denver statistic fucking chihuahuas come in right behind a pitbull, these little shits probably bite the hell out of little kids, but you won't see it in the media cuz it's not sensational enough.

Also number 2 is the german shepherd, fuck you, no news station is ever going to vilify the german shepherd breed, b/c they are now know as the police dog, the only stories that is allowed to relate to german shepherds are acts of heroism by dog.

i'm not saying there is a clear cut bias(probably is) just that it's lazy journalism, report a headline you know ppl will read, and 10x out of 10 pitbull attacks... will win over any other breed in headlines.

Hell most ppl probably confuse or don't even know what a pitbull looks like, i'm sure lots of ppl afraid of pitbulls are actually scared of boxers instead.

His experiences? What about yours, lol. It's not like there's statistics or actuarial tables taking this into account... Oh wait, there is.
I couldn't care less what animals anyone owns IF they are properly kept. The fact is that many aggressive dog breeds have a habit of "accidents" and they never seem to be just the owner but rather kids, delivery guy, postman, etc.

In short if you want to play steak with an animal, be my guest. But don't take your pit bull or ocelot or rhino down to the local park then just become "baffled" when it too goes apeshit and murders someone.

There's a responsible way to own aggressive dogs and unfortunately hint, hint, it's not letting them near children, old people and the infirm and it's not putting them anywhere where you do not have positive control of the animal in all cases.
This is where you're wrong, a dog is entirely nature vs. nurture.

sure in nature what is seen as an aggressive breed, can also wreck your shit, but all dogs can be aggressive.

it's like you saying, black ppl get angry more cuz of statistics, no, every race can get just as angry.

those stupid little shit dogs can get just as aggressive, its just that when they're aggressive ppl think it looks "cute" cuz they have that "yelp, yelp" instead of "BARK BARK" cuz by nature they are little pieces of shit with little shitty barks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yea, saying the breed is fucked up, is like saying all black ppl are criminals cuz of statistics, cuz in the end lets face it, a breed is no different than a race.

Thats what i say to ppl who prefer a certain dog breed (or hate on another), you're being a dog racist, why not just love all dogs.
Equating a race that evolved to endure the sun to a breed of dogs that was specifically bred for certain characteristics (specifically being tough and having a good bite) is pretty bad.

But I'll ignore all that. Lanx, do you agree that pitbulls are one of the most common dog involved in dog fatalities?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Equating a race that evolved to endure the sun to a breed of dogs that was specifically bred for certain characteristics (specifically being tough and having a good bite) is pretty bad.

But I'll ignore all that. Lanx, do you agree that pitbulls are one of the most common dog involved in dog fatalities?
Since the cultures are so different across the world, it's not a stretch to say that humans could have been selected for different characteristics (personality included) in different cultures. Our "races" are just people who have certain selected characteristics in common. There's no reason to believe that those characteristics begin and end at skin color (we know they don't).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lanx, do you agree that pitbulls are one of the most common dog involved in dog fatalities?
Has anyone here claimed that pit bulls aren't more dangerous than most other dogs?

And yeah I'm not surprised German Shepherds came out ahead of Pits on that list, the breed is prone to mental instability. I mean only a minority of the breed will express that trait to the point of being dangerous, but they're prone to it just like the whole Terrier group is prone to aggression. Pure bred dog breeds tend to have all sorts of problems due to their narrower gene pool, which is why mutts are generally healthier and smarter.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

of course, i'm not defending them, they just happen to be the unlucky breed that michal vicks of the world choose to breed as dog fighters and make them unstoppable killing machines. does that mean they will pass on those unstoppable killing machine genes? not necessaryily maybe they'll make a stronger killer dog.

But the problem is that usually pitbull attacks/fatalities are from rescues, b/c a pitbull was given up for adoption or was rescued from fighting or was seized from the owner or whatever the fuck, it had some exposure to a michael vick prepping it to goto war, these are the pitbulls that need to be killed to cull the avg.

it's not the breed or the dog, but the "training", i mean i dont' want to say it, but if you have a room full of 20 random ppl and 2 of them finished a tour of iraq with maybe PTSD... those 2 would more likely "snap" than ther other 18 random ppl in the room, cuz of the training and exposure they had in iraq.

get rid of dog fighting and kill all the pitbulls put through dog fighting training, and something good will happen, but this will NEVER happen, b/c you can't stop illegal dog fighting rings and ppl want to "save" these innocent pitbulls.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Palum, I'm aware my experiences are biased, and I attempt to correct for the "lensing" effect that bias would create. I have been around pits for years in a healthy domestic setting. Also, I volunteered for years working with fighting dogs while in college (we have a large Mexican population near my school, so dog and chicken fighting occurred).

What ratio of time spent with pits in a healthy domestic setting vs in a rescue setting do you think he has? Or how about sheer volume in dogs encountered (Healthy / loved vs fighting / rescue)? 1:100? 1:1000?

Being informed about a subject is not the same as knowing something. They are what they are, and most of what water heads think about the breed is not true and comes from the fact they should be owned by people with a high degree of experience and knowledge due to the stubborn nature and insane energy they have. And the opposite is almost always true. Overwhelming ly the dog is owned by poor people who are novice trainers at best.

Bull mastiff s are old English bulldog mixed with English mastiff iirc. And English mastiff s were originally bred for war, or descended from a breed that was. And here you have an example of what I said earlier, I am not an expert by any means, but far above average as far as knowledge and experience training dogs, as I would assume anyone would be that is willing to have an animal that had the potential to be 200+lbs and maim you while playing. And that is reflected in the breed and experiences people have with it. Same for pits, but the exact opposite direction.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Do you have any evidence to support this?
other than saying the articles i've see "Pitbull attacks..." if, they give you any background you see rescue, or another common fatal attack is "rescuer slain", and they happen to be a pitbull rescuer.

but also b/c it's more sensational to say "Pitbull attacks..." even a puppy raised from birth, probably attacked someone, but then that goes into the whole nature vs. nurture and whether or not they raised the dog properly and it just happen to be a pitbull.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bull mastiff s are old English bulldog mixed with English mastiff iirc. And English mastiff s were originally bred for war, or descended from a breed that was. And here you have an example of what I said earlier, I am not an expert by any means, but far above average as far as knowledge and experience training dogs, as I would assume anyone would be that is willing to have an animal that had the potential to be 200+lbs and maim you while playing. And that is reflected in the breed and experiences people have with it. Same for pits, but the exact opposite direction.
I think part of the problem is that pits are almost all mutts and thus dirt cheap to buy puppies, whereas getting a pure bred german shepherd or rot puppy you will spend anywhere from a couple hundred to well over a thousand dollars. I've only once in my life seen a pure bred Amstaff, he was gorgeous and very friendly/well raised.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
other than saying the articles i've see "Pitbull attacks..." if, they give you any background you see rescue, or another common fatal attack is "rescuer slain", and they happen to be a pitbull rescuer.

but also b/c it's more sensational to say "Pitbull attacks..." even a puppy raised from birth, probably attacked someone, but then that goes into the whole nature vs. nurture and whether or not they raised the dog properly and it just happen to be a pitbull.
Let me know if you find any hard data on this. It would be interesting to see just how wide the split is of bite incidents among pits rescued from fighting vs dogs raised in a non-fighting home from birth.