Pittsburgh, PA

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Driving to Pittsburgh tomorrow. Any recommendations? Am willing to meet up with anyone if someone lives there!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Generic food suggestion is Primanti Bros. sandwich(OMG fries on a sandwich!), but I'd say skip that and hit Church Brew Works for a beer and some pierogies. Pretty cool joint, converted church in to a brewery/restaurant. Or do both.

Then hit Homewood(neighborhood) for cheap heroin before making a stop in East Liberty for a 3 toothed hooker who will do anything for that stamp bag.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I once went to a stripclub in Pittsburgh where you paid a cover and got free beer.

You had to go down to this moldy smelling basement to get your free beer from some big guy sitting on a keg.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Did you have to put your mouth on the "tap" to get your free beer?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I live here, want to go out for dinner? Fat Heads is pretty baller, like Grimm said; I'd avoid Primanti Bros. It's like a "Pittsburgh Staple" but isn't that good. If you're looking for a good bar The Smiling Moose is nice. There was this pretty good Irish chain that a friend and I went to a couple months back, I forget the name now but it was right next to the Southsides works and the Cheesecake Factory.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sure. We are here till Sunday or Monday.

We just got here and are checked into the courtyard Marriott. Nice hotel for 60 USD. Thx price line!

We stopped in Cleveland for lunch and ate at LA pupusaria LA benedicion.

Can't upload photo from my phone.... I'm going to take a vacation nap

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Delicious vacation nap....

What's wrong with Pittsburgh? I'm expecting a typical midwest/east coast city. We don't need anything special for a weekend getaway.

Pupuseria La Bendicion - West Boulevard - Cleveland, OH | Yelpis where we went. Fantastic pupusas, great tacos, mediocre tamales, great refried beans. You know you're in an authentic hispanic restaurant when there's no hispanic-themed bullshit all over but there is a small TV playing hispanic soap operas and the workers look at you and sheepishly hand you a pencil and an english menu.

rrr_img_53831.jpg

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I guess living here kind of takes the allure of the town away as I see it as a complete shit hole filled with nothing but yinzing stillers, depends, and bucco fans.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Feast, Tuco. Feast!
I did! Then I had to try to stay awake navigating the treacherous mountain passes that are foreign to my flat Michigan experience.

One cool thing that took me by surprise about Pittsburgh is that you drive through the mountain passes and everything seems super rural and then you turn around one more curve and then BOOM a city. It was at night and the surprise was breathtaking.

I'm still full from a lunch I ate 7 hours ago but we're going to the Sharp Edge Bistro Penn since it's next to our hotel. I think tomorrow night we'll go to the Church Brew Works.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's basically two go to burger places that I have to suggest to everyone that visits here, the first I already mentioned. Fat Heads and the second is Burgatory. Both damn amazing places. I asked some friends if they want to go out Saturday afternoon and get some food, if we end up going you should meet up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm down.

Sharp Edge was great. In Michigan it's pretty rare to find a Belgium Beer specialty pub. If they're a beer specialty they either brew their own beer or sell local Michigan brews.

The selection of authentic Belgium food dishes howerver were disappointing. There were a few Belgium style dishes. We tried the prosciutto and brie pastry appetizer. I'm not a fan of brie or prosciutto but together they worked very well. We also got the beef carbonada and were surprised at how good it was.

I had four beers there, a chimay white,Kapittel Pater | Brouwerij Van Eecke N.V. | Watou, Belgium | BeerAdvocate,Grimbergen Dubbel | Brouwerij Alken-Maes | Alken, Belgium | BeerAdvocateand finished it off with a Piraat Triple Hop. I'm not a huge fan of Belgium beer because it's just so overpowering for my weak pallet but I really enjoyed the selection. The service was excellent. I would recommend Sharp Edge to anyone who likes beer though I wish they had more authentic Belgium food offerings. Then again I imagine their typical patronage orders a burger and bud light.

rrr_img_53844.jpg
rrr_img_53845.jpg

Verge_sl

shitlord
Yinz'er here. Make sure you hit up either Pamela's or Deluca's for breakfast before leaving. Both have locations in "The Strip District" area of Pittsburgh. I personally recommend Deluca's.

There was this pretty good Irish chain that a friend and I went to a couple months back, I forget the name now but it was right next to the Southsides works and the Cheesecake Factory.
You're probably talking about The Claddagh. The wife & I used to love to go there, but we've been disappointed with our last few visits. If you're interested in German food & beer, the Hofbr?uhaus (albeit not exclusive to Pittsburgh) is always good. I recommend it because I think it's a fairly exclusive chain (i.e. not it too many other cities). It too is in the South Side Works. Aside from that, Carson Street in the South Side and Station Square is where most of the nightlife is during the weekends. I imagine school is out for the holidays for the dozens of colleges in the city, so it's probably more quiet than usual. The Cathedral of Learning, the Inclines, the Point, and the many museums in the city are the other points of interest.

Overall, part of Pittsburgh's allure is in the many unique neighborhoods that encompass it - the South Side, the North Side, Shadyside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Bloomfield, etc. Each has its own appealing & unappealing qualities...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The pretzel and bier cheese from Hofbrauhaus has magical properties.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate to say this, but I bet Pittsburgh isn't all that bad.
It's constantly on those Best Cities to Live lists. Sutekh only sees the yinzers but it's filled with hipsters and nerds now as well. Weird mix. You can walk out of a sports bar full of yinzer rednecks and walk next door to an overpriced hipster craft beer only bar filled with scarved dudes in skinny jeans.

Also it's got more bars per 100,000 residents than any other city in America. And the 2nd most pizza places.

Burgatory is tasty as hell, but I'm a fan of any place that sells those boozy milkshakes. BRGR Bar in Shadyside wasn't bad either the one time I've been, basically the exact same type of place as Burgatory.

edit: Stack'd is another burger bar, only been once for darts and I got pretty drunk but I seem to remember enjoying it. $6 Yuengling pitchers.