Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
4.80 star(s) Rating: 4.80/5 5 Votes
Title: Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)

Tagline: What he really wanted was to spend Thanksgiving with his family. What he got was three days with the turkey.

Genre: Comedy

Director: John Hughes

Cast: Steve Martin, John Candy, Laila Robins, Michael McKean, Dylan Baker, Kevin Bacon, Olivia Burnette, Carol Bruce, Diana Douglas, Martin Ferrero, Larry Hankin, Richard Herd, Susan Kellermann, Matthew Lawrence, Edie McClurg, Susan Isaacs, John Randolph Jones, Ben Stein, Lyman Ward

Release: 1987-11-26

Runtime: 93

Plot: An irritable marketing executive, Neal Page, is heading home to Chicago for Thanksgiving when a number of delays force him to travel with a well meaning but overbearing shower ring curtain salesman, Del Griffith.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
one of my favorite movies as a kid. now all the deleted scenes will be released. November 8th.

309375472_10224930632585803_6853625133158260141_n.jpg

• 7Like
  • 3I Came
Reactions: 9 users

lurker

Vyemm Raider
It’s been a holiday tradition in our house for years.

YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!
How do they know where we’re going?

• 6Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Yep.

Groundhog Day on the day, obviously.
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles for Thanksgiving.
Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and Elf around Christmas.

Probably seen each in the 20ish times range.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>

Those aren't pillows!!!

One of the greatest and most heartfelt holiday films ever. Knew there was tons of unused footage and it would amazing if they recut some of that into the film.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was listening to Kevin Bacon on armchair expert and he said that Hughes would just film and film and film, and it was prior to digital so it'd cost a fortune. I'd imagine all of his films probably have tons of extra footage.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yep.

Groundhog Day on the day, obviously.
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles for Thanksgiving.
Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and Elf around Christmas.

Probably seen each in the 20ish times range.
Strange way to spell Die Hard.

• 8Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Was listening to Kevin Bacon on armchair expert and he said that Hughes would just film and film and film, and it was prior to digital so it'd cost a fortune. I'd imagine all of his films probably have tons of extra footage.
there are tons of Uncle Buck deleted scenes too.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Those aren't pillows!!!

One of the greatest and most heartfelt holiday films ever. Knew there was tons of unused footage and it would amazing if they recut some of that into the film.

Such a good moment.

planes-trains-automobiles-those-arent-pillows.gif

• 4Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
The deleted scenes for this are a fucking gem. I think that my only complaint is that it goes full cheese at the very end incredibly abruptly but it kind of earned it. It's a weird classic due to Martin playing an incredible straight man to Candy's unforgettable Del Griffith but Martin squeaks out so many amazing comedic moments as well. Bizarre overtone of Red River Valley on a synth as the driving, happy, score. The turn gave Candy so much heart plus this is an amazing keystone for six degrees of Kevin Bacon

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
in the mid 90s i'm watching this movie and i suddenly realize, that car was the previous version of the car i currently owned. you can see the convertible latch handle. that was a 1980s Le Baron Town & Country.
ha0415-207697_1@2x.jpg

the actual K car zaps always accused me of having. i had the later J car version. this car is kind of ugly, but its a convertible so that makes it at least half cool.

• 3Like
  • 1Pathetic

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
For my money, nothing beats this scene:

Easily the most relatable moment in the film. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to go off like this because of bad service

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
For my money, nothing beats this scene:

Easily the most relatable moment in the film. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to go off like this because of bad service
if he persisted and didnt flip his shit, he could have probably at least gotten her to locate what happened to his rental car and get a ride over there or he could have gotten them to admit they were in error and got him another rental off that, he still has his ID at this point and they charged his card. that should have been enough. get a refund and rent another car. why didnt he do that?

-edit
i know this is a comedy and this scene wouldnt have been funny if she had checked his card in the system and seen he did rent a car that was unavailable.
still though, they dont put down on the rental order that you rented "a car, " you rented xxxxxxx car. if all you had to do to make the transaction invisible was toss out the rental agreement then they would go out of business real fast. that car and its location are in the system, even back in 1988 they had this down. that was the reason for that system in the first place.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database