Planescape Torment Kickstarter: A spiritual sequel to be set in Monte Cook's Numenera

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Screw these Baldur's Gate updates, give me a working version of Planescape: Torment. I can't get the old version to run without massive video issues, basically unplayable.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I was about to jizz myself up until the point where I realized that this won't actually take place in the Planescape universe. I didn't actually expect to see the Nameless One and my favorite NPC's of all time again, but I'm just not sure it can be truly Torment if it doesn't take place in the Planescape universe. It's like validating the claim that Dragon's Age was the successor of Baldur's Gate. It just wasn't..

Planescape: Torment to me was almost a religious experience. No game, ever, has even come close to the truly enthralling experience that Torment was. By the end of the game I cared for my NPC's like they were my freaking family.. The music, the story, the attention to detail in everything, the puzzles. It was all totally PERFECT. When someone says that freaking Final Fantasy was a better RPG than Torment, I want to punch them in the face..

That being said, as much as I would give my left nut and kidney for a new Plansecape experience equal to the original, I just don't think it is possible. That game to me represents a miraculously lucky combination of brilliant developers and writers in their prime, along with mars aligned with venus and other once in a lifetime variables. This next "torment" simply won't be that great because besides not being set in the universe I associate so much with Torment, it can't be as good as Torment, because simply put Torment was a 10/10..

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, Monte Cook is wildly overrated and hasn't had any real success. I mean Planescape was really cool, but it was never particularly popular, which is why it got cancelled and nobody has cared enough to bring it back.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Sigil, almost whole cloth, made it into 4e, it even fit in very well with the new cosmology. They even introduced several of the factions in one form or another in 4e.

I think part of the probelm with Planescape was, like Dark Sun, they said "Here is this awesome idea! Now here is a series of novels and modules to completely shit up the setting that we sold you on and you fell in love with!" and everyone kind of scratched thier heads, got sad and wandered off confused.

I'm pretty indifferent to Monte Cook. I bought two (I think?) of his big d20 books during the 3e days and both were neither horrible nor amazing. I don't know what his new thing is about.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What was that for gogusrl?

And anything close to Torment has me excited. Such a wonderful gaming universe to use.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
What was that for gogusrl?

And anything close to Torment has me excited. Such a wonderful gaming universe to use.
Numenera is? Because it sounds like that is where it is set, not Planescape.

I'd love to hear what is so cool about Numenera if that is indeed what you are looking forward to, but I have the feeling it isn't.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Xenosaga/Xenogears
Star Control/Mass Effect

Starting to hate that term..."Spiritual Successor". It's like saying "We're going to half-ass this and it will be NOTHING like the original except a few moments that get you blue-balled... But buy it anyway."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I will kickstart this the moment I see a link because 1.) I love kickstarter and 2.) I am a whore for Planescape Torment. I'm sure they know they can set the bar to twice the amount they need since so many people are going to buy in to anything that says Planescape: Torment.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Sold. I initially funded $20 but I saw you get Torment and Wasteland 2 (which I missed the KS for) for only $45.

In for $75. Beta access + name in credits sounds good. So far all the kickstarters I've supported:

- Grim Dawn
- Shadowrun Returns
- Wasteland 2
- Torment

Now if only someone would do Star Control and Master of Orion sequels.
mad.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>