Playstation 5

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went with a new DualSense and eXtremeRate RISE4 metal button kit a couple years ago. Still the best option imo, if you don't mind taking the controller apart and doing some simple modifications. Less simple if you absolutely must have the ability to map L3/R3 or the touchpad press to a back button, since those things require soldering. No idea why you'd ever want to remap those anyway.

Alternatively, you can get a pre-modded controller from Hexgaming. It's a different name, but still the same company as eXtremeRate. For some reason the inner back buttons are a bit bigger and nicer on the Ultimate controller compared to the RISE4 RMB kit. You pay a rather large premium to have the modding done for you though, considering it only took me a half hour to install the kit on mine.

Or there's the $200 DualSense Edge from Sony. Being able to replace the entire thumbstick module should it go bad seems like a nice feature. The battery is a total deal-breaker to me though. The standard DualSense is already garbage with its 1560 mAh battery and faster battery drain due to all the gimmicks in it, and the Edge knocks that all the way down to 1050 mAh. I don't even want to know what the thing would be like after a year or so, considering how fast the standard battery degrades because Sony can't seem to figure out how to make a charger work right. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that it only has 2 paddles. Don't be confused by the product listing that says 4; it's just two sets of paddles that are different shapes and you can swap them based on what you prefer.
i broke one of my rise4 paddles w/ s1 diablo4, extremerate cannot handle extreme use

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No joke. I took apart my old Xbox Elite 2 to repair it, that was an exercise in frustration at points. First company to make a quality hall effect controller with back buttons wins.
8bitdo has them now. They make good stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
8bitdo has them now. They make good stuff.

Have you used those? They look way less comfortable than an Xbox Elite, seem even larger than my ps5 controller. At only $49, I know I shouldn't expect much, but I am thinking my current 3yr old elite controller is starting to fail.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have you used those? They look way less comfortable than an Xbox Elite, seem even larger than my ps5 controller. At only $49, I know I shouldn't expect much, but I am thinking my current 3yr old elite controller is starting to fail.
I bought the Ultimate and returned it because it felt much worse to use than the SN30 Pro 2 that I already had, and I didn't realize that the Ultimate had no Switch support which at the time was a big part of why I used the Pro 2. This was before they made the swap to hall effect sticks, but I highly doubt that would have made a difference. Personally I've never had an Alps stick start to drift so I don't see any reason to base the choice of pad on that anyway.

For Xbox Elite replacement, I still don't think the PowerA Fusion Pro 3 can be beat, including by the Elite itself. You just have to be willing to put up with a cord, since MS refuses to license their stupid proprietary version of Bluetooth to any third party. Works on both PC and Xbox, unlike the 8bitdo (though they do make a wired version which has Xbox support). Unfortunately PowerA doesn't make anything but charging stands for PS5, and 8bitdo has nothing either. It really just comes down to modded DualSense vs. DualSense Edge vs. a bunch of ridiculous $250+ shit which really don't do much more than one you mod yourself for less than half the price.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

I have the older version of that controller but design-wise it looks the same.

A few notes:
1) its a bit more "square-shaped" feeling than the xbox controller and I think that made my wrists bother me more (you can see it in the top right/left of the controller, its wider there)
2) the d-pad is cross-shaped so might be better for retros than the more "circular" d-pad on the xbox controllers
3) the L1/R1 buttons are noticeably smaller than the xbox and ps5 controller. Xbox was "longest"
4) the L3/R3 buttons on the back of the controller can be easy to accidentally push since they're part of the grip itself
5) the X,Y,B,A buttons are the same size despite the lettering giving the illusion they might be different
6) PS5 controller weighed 9.77oz, Xbox controller weighed 10.06oz, 8bitdo weighed 8.64oz
7) PS5 controller grips seem slightly longer but skinnier

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Been in the controller struggle for my PC . Xbox Elite v2 is dying (4yr old) , thought I 'had' to have Hall Effect sticks
bought a GuliKit KK3 which I returned due to build quality - Just felt cheap and the bottom sticks were rough
bought a turtle beach stealth ultra - returned, it works ok but the software on the controller (via the screen) and PC app worked against each other and it just felt like a cheap ass controller with LED's , and a complete rip off at $200
Went back to an Xbox Elite v2 , but the core (cheaper) one since I don't need the back / extra parts. I may grab the one Vorph Vorph mentioned, I've had good luck with Power A controllers in the past. I'd really love an Elite v3 with hall effect sticks and for MS not to fucking cheap out so much on parts.
I'd go with a PS5 controller but something about the left stick / keypad kills my left wrist on long sessions.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I try and do the same thing, because my wife is also a gamer, but we mostly do our own thing. I wanted something that we could do together, but it was so bleak that I'd even settle for sort of together, like she's on her phone scrolling while watching me play some other game. She's really good at puzzles and shit, and I hate them and instantly Google, and even that made it pretty hard. There's just nothing. :(

Married couple friends of mine will split the PS4 (probably have 5 by now IDK) and portable-mode Switch to sit on the couch together playing two different games, and it's like they're hanging out. Most of the stuff she likes they get on Switch and most of the stuff he likes they get on PS. They did this for years when I'd go hang out and it seemed to be working for them.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Elite 2 is my worst buy ever, while it looks and feel good to use the ABXY buttons are pure fucking trash that register 70% of the time. And by googling it I am not alone in that.

I use my PS5 controllers on both PS5 and PC now due to that. Worst 180 bucks I have spent.

spronk

FPS noob

here's one i don't get. Some people (usual twitter tards) are shitting on this game because its sweet baby / DEI. but... isn't this exactly the kind of game that is supposed to do that? Its made by an african dude (he voiced Bayek in Assassins Creed Origins) as a tribute to his dad.

I mean literally thats what people who are anti woke say, "instead of coopting our IPs and games go make your own shit". So this dude did it. He made an African themed game about ???, I dunno I don't give a shit. Its not for me and thats fine. He did something he wanted, he didn't try and turn God of War 3 into Kratos's African adventures.

Good job bro, hope its successful for you. Thats what we should all be doing, making games celebrating our own cultures and heritages without shitting on or coopting other peoples.

it seems like you're kind of a retarded hypocrite if you think this is a "woke" game.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>

here's one i don't get. Some people (usual twitter tards) are shitting on this game because its sweet baby / DEI. but... isn't this exactly the kind of game that is supposed to do that? Its made by an african dude (he voiced Bayek in Assassins Creed Origins) as a tribute to his dad.

I mean literally thats what people who are anti woke say, "instead of coopting our IPs and games go make your own shit". So this dude did it. He made an African themed game about ???, I dunno I don't give a shit. Its not for me and thats fine. He did something he wanted, he didn't try and turn God of War 3 into Kratos's African adventures.

Good job bro, hope its successful for you. Thats what we should all be doing, making games celebrating our own cultures and heritages without shitting on or coopting other peoples.

it seems like you're kind of a retarded hypocrite if you think this is a "woke" game.

I think you could have stopped at "usual twitter tards."

Yeah, this is what those people should be doing. Not co-opting MY culture for their own purposes. I'm all for it, hope it does great, whatever, I don't care. Stay out of my shit though.

• 1Solidarity