Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Summer Solstice Event on now - Fire & Ice pokemons spawning extra (which is nifty, because Ice is one of the few types I don't have the +3 bonus to catching on).

Additionally, extra XP for catching pokemons accurately, and Lucky Eggs are cheap(er).

Extra XP from hatching eggs too - from what I understand it is a pretty serious legit extra amount. Given that I have never purchased an incubator, and I haven't gotten an extra since I dinged 30, I don't think that I'll be rolling in the XP from the hatching.

As per Niantic usual - event was not announced more than a few days beforehand, and only lasts 5 days or something.

Yaaaaay.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
XP is 3x for every catch, My usual is catch, great throw, curveball, first ball = 300 + 150 + 30 + 150 = 630 per pokemon catch, which isn't bad. Sitting on a bunch of lures with a lucky egg up would probably be crazy XP.

I saw a lot of fire and ice pokemon out there too, even a Lapras.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I've been playing this very casually since launch (eg. neighborhood walks) and find myself nearing ~790K stardust (have never spent - don't really do gyms) and level 30.

I checked out the stickies and it looks like there's no point in trying to level up one of the 'power' Pokemon if I haven't been actively farming Dratinis, Snorlax etc. (I've never even seen a Larvitar).

Basic question - is there any point in dumping a bunch of dust into one of my high IV pets or am I pretty fucked from attacking gyms in my hood? (they all seem to have lvl 35-40 dudes with bigass Dragonites and Tyranitars).

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just farm Eevees for Vaporeon, it's the best farm time/CP ratio by far. It's even decent against Gyrados and Dragonite which resist it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Pokémon Go’s big summer update adds cooperative raids and redesigned gyms

Essentially, the battles allow up to 20 players to work together to fight rare bosses, which will randomly appear at gyms. You’ll know a boss is coming because a pokémon egg will appear at a gym, complete with a timer to let you know when it will hatch. Once that happens, a powerful pocket monster will show up, and the group will have just five minutes to defeat it.

There are also a handful of new items that can only be earned through raids, including rare candies (which turn into a pokémon’s candy when used on them), golden razz berries (which offer a greater chance of capturing wild pokémon), and two types of technical machines that let you permanently teach a monster either a fast or charged attack.

Gyms will now essentially double as pokéstops. You’ll have the option to spin a disc at a gym and earn items like berries, pokéballs, and more.

Gyms will feature six permanent slots for pokémon, and instead of being ordered based on strength, you’ll be able to battle them in the order in which they were assigned to the gym. (Each of the six slots will also be occupied by a different type of pokémon, so you won’t find yourself fighting through six straight Dragonites.) Pokémon who are part of a gym will lose motivation over time, which in turn will lower their CP. In order to keep the motivation up, players from the same team can visit a gym and feed the pokémon berries.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Update looks good, excited for TMs and Rare Candy. Looks like raids are basically the beta test for legendaries - they mentioned somewhere that players who raid a lot will be invited to better raids...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This sounds terrible =\

I'm going from being excited to see what Niantic does to finish this game to being excited to see Pokemon Go 2 being produced by a totally different group.
Wait, someone else is actually making pokemon go2?

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is awesome.

Soloed a Bayleaf and Feraligator at 1* or 2*. 3* Did Exxecutor with another guy, it was one shotting charizards with solar beam but I think that's just about soloable.

4* Tyranitar took 5 of us and 2 spoofers and I was just about out of my 6 water pokemon at the end, definitly NOT soloable. Had more people arriving in cars at the end of the battle.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Did my first "raid" on a 1 star Quilava just to see how the system worked. I think it's pretty cool. He's almost perfect too, 98% just missing a point in defense.

I do wish that beating a raid didn't lock you out from any kind of gym interaction until the timer runs out though.

Rare candies means I finally get to evolve this god damn Porygon soon.

I also like the gym defender coin change. I put a gyrados in a nearby gym at midnight last night walking my dog and woke up to +34 coins today. I had never before made more than 20 in a day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Lugia and Articuno added today as 5 star raid targets. Also, the following rewards will last until Monday, July 24, at 5:00 P.M. PDT:
  • Double Stardust
  • Double Candy
  • Double XP
  • Increased Pokémon encounters
  • Reduced hatching distance
  • Reduced buddy distance
Apparently legendaries require 10km walks as buddies.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Legendaries are 20km walks.

Lugia is a bitch to beat, we had 15 and barely made it...

Legandaries appear with no egg warning, last for 2 hours, and you get 280 seconds to beat them.

GEwMWLB.png

hGAbWk8.png

D1DX6AJ.png

fjld28d.png

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Did anyone near Chicago head out to the event? It sounded like Niantic utterly and completely shat the bed, even by Niantic standards. From what I read, people were unable to log into the game for the entire event, and the talking heads that they sent out to try and placate the masses were utterly inane. Instead of owning it or responding, Niantic played advertisements and old streams on repeat, and the people they put on stage got water bottles thrown at them while the crowds united in chants like "We can't play" and "Fuck Niantic!"

The event today was supposed to be powered by the number of pokemon caught worldwide, and there were progress bars demonstrating world progress... however, they accidentally demonstrated, live, that the progress bars were total BS:
esbqq1j2b7bz.jpg

Which - I get. People would have freaked if they didn't release the legendary birds - but still folks.... come the heck on.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Did anyone near Chicago head out to the event? It sounded like Niantic utterly and completely shat the bed, even by Niantic standards. From what I read, people were unable to log into the game for the entire event, and the talking heads that they sent out to try and placate the masses were utterly inane. Instead of owning it or responding, Niantic played advertisements and old streams on repeat, and the people they put on stage got water bottles thrown at them while the crowds united in chants like "We can't play" and "Fuck Niantic!"

The event today was supposed to be powered by the number of pokemon caught worldwide, and there were progress bars demonstrating world progress... however, they accidentally demonstrated, live, that the progress bars were total BS:
esbqq1j2b7bz.jpg

Which - I get. People would have freaked if they didn't release the legendary birds - but still folks.... come the heck on.

Yeah it was pretty vicious

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The problem was mostly with cell companies not being able to handle the load. People couldn't use browsers or any apps. Niantic expanded the range by 2 miles so people could spread out and it was fine afterward. They also refunded the ticket price for all in attendance along with $100 in pokecoins.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Game bugs out when I use premium passes and errors me out of raids. Fuck this game, I'm out.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user