Politics Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Falstaff, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Whidon Active Member

Whidon
    Ratings:
    +166
    I disagree with this, "racism" and "Loving immigrants" is one of those things people will always answer yes to on some poll or whatever/polite conversation. But in reality few of them actually care much about these issues. It's sort of like how in the end few people really gave a damn about access Hollywood despite all the media and "man on the street" quotes telling us otherwise.

If the Dem's are seen to be shutting down the government because of immigrants they will wind up regretting that decision for at least half a generation. The Opposition party for one always gets blamed for these shutdowns and as my friend (a big lefty) put it "the Dems have been giving in to the gop on every damn big issue for seemingly the past 17 years, if after so many retreats they choose this hill to stand, or die upon I will be massively pissed"

As for the midterms the Party of government always gets hammered in the Midterms, it almost never historically has much meaning beyond a general short term overreaction causing the ruling party to lurch to the center ie: Clinton in 94.

GOP is gonna lose a bunch of seats regardless. But likely keep the house due to gerrymanding (oddly an issue that totally fucks the dems yet they don't seem to care much about). Plus the senate election cycle means it will be difficult to take more then a seat or two in that chamber.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gavinmad Well-Known Member

Gavinmad
    Ratings:
    +6,264
    [​IMG]

• Worf Worf x 5
  3. DONOR

Ritley
    Ratings:
    +8,585
    I would define them as:

“Citizens of said shithole country are applying to the US for refugee status”.

But hey, we can go with your fake news symptoms instead

• Like Like x 2
  4. fanaskin Well known Agitator
    DONOR

fanaskin
    Ratings:
    +24,118
    opposite they're strong in the senate races, house is weaker shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  5. Whidon Active Member

Whidon
    Ratings:
    +166
    In general I Agree but i'm actually sort of shocked how high some of those southern states rank.

I mean no offense, but when I lived in Savannah GA for a semester during college it's the one place in the world I've met other English speakers I could not understand. Seriously, off the top of your head who would think Georgia or NC is comparable with Mass and New Jersey?

• Worf Worf x 1
  6. fanaskin Well known Agitator
    DONOR

fanaskin
    Ratings:
    +24,118
    sure mass importation shows up in the port cities and their states, nothing new.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lendarios Potatoe Farmer
    DONOR

Lendarios
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    @Gavinmad lol i was thinking the same thing.
    LOL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Salty Salty x 1
  8. Araysar Russian Government Official
    AMOD

Araysar
    Ratings:
    +33,697

I used to believe gerrymandering was a big deal, but someone here pointed me to a couple of studies which changed my opinion on it a lot. I think it affects a couple seats here and there, maybe 5-10 - but its nowhere near enough to account for the 46 seat deficit that the Democrats have. Plus Democrats do it too so its a wash.

I think Democrats are going to win some House seats, and lose some Senate seats. They don't have any kind of economic or foreign policy agenda to run on, its all just pure Trump hatred and they are defending 26 out of 34 Senate seats that are up for reelection this year and I dont think Trump hate can net you 25 more seats in the House to claim majority.

• Solidarity Solidarity x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Whidon Active Member

Whidon
    Ratings:
    +166
    While I agree it def does not cause a swing of 40+ seats or something super significant. But even if it' only say 5-6 seats that's possibly very significant. Moreover I just generally dislike the idea of changing for the sake of "progress" and think conservative's should remember the whole "Conservation" of past ideas/ways of life is often something worth fighting for. But I simply don't see what point there is to keeping it beyond blatant manipulation of the electoral system.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lanx 周潤發
    DONOR

Lanx
    Ratings:
    +4,549
    the disctinction is that Dems want to shut down to fight for illegal aliens

• Like Like x 4
  11. Whidon Active Member

Whidon
    Ratings:
    +166
    My bad I 100% meant to make that distinction.

Fucking media even has me unconsciously calling them "immigrants" now fuck me.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Vandyn Well-Known Member

Vandyn
    Ratings:
    +412
    I thought this is pretty interesting.

Seats in Congress Gained/Lost by the President's Party in Mid-Term Elections

Basically the President's party loses an average of 25-27 seats in the house in mid-term elections going back to 1934, regardless of popularity.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Drakurii Well-Known Member

Drakurii
    Ratings:
    +5,736
    shit is going good right now are people really going to vote against their own economic interest and possibly deadlock Congress because that would be really fucking dumb

• Solidarity Solidarity x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lendarios Potatoe Farmer
    DONOR

Lendarios
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    #341154 Lendarios, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Salty Salty x 1
  15. Araysar Russian Government Official
    AMOD

Araysar
    Ratings:
    +33,697
    Interesting. Other than the 30 seat shellacking that Repubs took in 2006, you'd have to go all the way back to 1982 to find them losing more than 13 seats. In 1982 they lost 26.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Araysar Russian Government Official
    AMOD

Araysar
    Ratings:
    +33,697
    Yeah but keep in mind that no one on the Left believes that this economy is Trump's doing. To them this is still Obama's economy finally kicking in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Worf Worf x 1
  17. Xequecal Well-Known Member

Xequecal
    Ratings:
    +1,533
    People are generally aware that Republicans have better economic cred than Democrats. Thinking that social programs improve the economy is Bernie level insanity. People vote D because they think the environment and social/race/diversity/equality issues are more important than 1-2% extra GDP growth.

18. Regime LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
    DONOR

Regime
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    What about their blonde export?

• Like Like x 2
    • Solidarity Solidarity x 2
  19. Lendarios Potatoe Farmer
    DONOR

Lendarios
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    @Whidon Speaking of the devil

Supreme Court takes up Texas redistricting case - CNNPolitics

Abbott v. Perez - SCOTUSblog

Issues:
    (1) Whether the district court issued an appealable interlocutory injunction when it invalidated Texas’ duly enacted redistricting plan and ordered the parties to appear at a remedial hearing to redraw state congressional districts unless the governor called a special legislative session to redraw the congressional map within three days;

(2) whether the Texas legislature acted with an unlawful purpose when it enacted a redistricting plan originally imposed by the district court to remedy any potential constitutional and statutory defects in a prior legislative plan that was repealed without ever having taken effect;

(3) whether the Texas legislature engaged in intentional vote dilution when it adopted Congressional District 27 in 2013 after the district court found, in 2012, that CD27 did not support a plausible claim of racially discriminatory purpose and did not dilute Hispanic voting strength because it was not possible to create an additional Hispanic opportunity district in the region; and

(4) whether the Texas legislature engaged in racial gerrymandering in Congressional District 35 when it simply adopted the district unchanged as part of the court-ordered remedial plan.

Incoming!!!

• Salty Salty x 2
  20. zzeris Intemperate Shitposter
    DONOR

zzeris
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    Not really. You are like a caricature. Minorities vote Dem because they are promised the same opportunities as others who have been here longer. It's just as much economic as anything else if not moreso. Most people couldn't give a shit about those issues unless it affects them or they are already well off...like the raging RREEE brigade of spoiled millennials. Just ask Haitians about their environment, global warming, and diversity.

Edit- there is some gold hidden in your post though. Trump has one more issue added to the mix. When people are doing very well, they tend to look towards social issues, environment, etc more than when things are tough. Not only does Trump have to worry about the concerted effort to destroy him by Dems, he has to worry about apathy and people forgetting just how much he will do in 4 years. If the economy is roaring, will the continued efforts by Trump become mundane expectations? Will this message become over saturated?

#341160 zzeris, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 5:08 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Picard Picard x 1