Politics Thread

Zapatta

~ Skeets Tweets ~
109d 2h 41m
Hah, why politicians hate the internet--in one video.

Must be tough having absurd hypocrisy shoved back in your face in an equal opportunity fashion. I can understand why they long for the days when this only happened to conservatives on the Daily Show. The internet is like memory for humanity, its wonderful.
Bongino did a whole thing about Trump's shutdown and its very small footprint fucking over the next Dem POTUS who tries to use it as a weapon for inflicting pain like Obama did. Trump has way more open and functioning than Barry did. Next Dem clown who tries to use it to get his way is gonna get a fuck ton of heat and have to do a lot of explaining for turning off more than they actually needed to.

Butthurt

Blackwing Lair Raider
22d 10h 35m
No, @Teekey is correct. Trump did say that Mexico would pay for the wall, write a cheque, etc.

They are factually correct, Trump did say that.

So I want you all to take a pledge with me;

“I swear that if by the end of Donald J. Trump’s tenure as Presidnet of the United States he has not had Mexico pay for the wall that I will never, ever, support his candidacy as President of the United States ever again.”

There, I feel better. You will too.
Just be simple. Ok, he said they’d pay for it. They might not. My simple response to him if they don’t is, “so?”

Lithose

I'm With HER ♀
68d 22h 50m
But one nationwide impediment to more housing is a shortage of construction labor; young Americans don’t seem remotely interested in becoming cement masons or carpenters. That means the housing industry would vastly benefit from an influx of immigrants—precisely the thing Trump wants to stop at all costs with a giant border wall.

“It’s blatantly obvious that we have to find a labor supply to meet demand, or everybody is gonna pay a price,” said Phil Crone, the executive officer of the Dallas Builders Association.

They will have to pay enough to lure young Americans to work, which means paying those "living wages" the Liberals keep talking about. But instead of supporting that, the Atlantic wants a cheap labor underclass. Hmmmm.

The whole reason those jobs fell out of favor is because wages for them didn't keep up with wages for much less physically demanding jobs. There is a ton of room in the market to right that, the whole reason the 1% have that exploding fucking wealth is because they are reaping enormous profit from being able to save on stagnating labor--which is all because of the fact that they've found cheaper sources overseas or by importing it. It is fucking mind blowing to me that Liberals can't see the connection between their BIGGEST god damn issues, wealth disparity and "living wages". I mean, I get why the Democrats and Media don't talk about it, because they want to handle the problem with government, because they want to be in control of the wealth by being able to take it from people--but it blows my mind the average person struggles to make this connection.

The Altlantic, advocating to make the rich, richer. Also, I love what disingenuous cunts they are about the housing crisis in California. The housing crisis could be solved in a few years if zoning boards cared about housing, and not about maintaining the aesthetic of the cities. I think the last figure was that the cost in terms of risk and studies for building in San Fransisco actually was more than the cost of materials and labor.

This guy's building was zoned for residential already, and had grandfathered permits and everything, and had no previous tenants (Since he owned it). The absolute best case for building. Its been 5 years, and about 50k later (In studies and prepatory paper work), and he still can't build (He literally just got permission to start when this report came out. Imagine if he'd taken out a loan or some other financial hardship while waiting? This is why companies don't want to build there.)

The cities are so fucking corrupt, and openly racist at this points its disgusting (They literally say their chief concern is "protecting latinos", IE not letting whites move in.) But yeah, its the lack of labor...lol.

Gravel

Ssraeszha Raider
34d 16h 38m
It's fine that you don't expect that, or don't care.

But I wish people he were atleast capable of admitting the simple fact that that's exactly what Trump's campaign said they would do. And that it would be easy to make them do it.
I've said it elsewhere, but is Trump the first President ever to be held 100% to their campaign statements?

I mean, for the most part everyone just assumes none of it will happen.

Fogel

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
78d 17h 3m
But one nationwide impediment to more housing is a shortage of construction labor; young Americans don’t seem remotely interested in becoming cement masons or carpenters. That means the housing industry would vastly benefit from an influx of immigrants—precisely the thing Trump wants to stop at all costs with a giant border wall.

“It’s blatantly obvious that we have to find a labor supply to meet demand, or everybody is gonna pay a price,” said Phil Crone, the executive officer of the Dallas Builders Association.

They will have to pay enough to lure young Americans to work, which means paying those "living wages" the Liberals keep talking about. But instead of supporting that, the Atlantic wants a cheap labor underclass. Hmmmm.

The whole reason those jobs fell out of favor is because wages for them didn't keep up with wages for much less physically demanding jobs. There is a ton of room in the market to right that, the whole reason the 1% have that exploding fucking wealth is because they are reaping enormous profit from being able to save on stagnating labor--which is all because of the fact that they've found cheaper sources overseas or by importing it. It is fucking mind blowing to me that Liberals can't see the connection between their BIGGEST god damn issues, wealth disparity and "living wages". I mean, I get why the Democrats and Media don't talk about it, because they want to handle the problem with government, because they want to be in control of the wealth by being able to take it from people--but it blows my mind the average person struggles to make this connection.

The Altlantic, advocating to make the rich, richer. Also, I love what disingenuous cunts they are about the housing crisis in California. The housing crisis could be solved in a few years if zoning boards cared about housing, and not about maintaining the aesthetic of the cities. I think the last figure was that the cost in terms of risk and studies for building in San Fransisco actually was more than the cost of materials and labor.

This guy's building was zoned for residential already, and had grandfathered permits and everything, and had no previous tenants (Since he owned it). The absolute best case for building. Its been 5 years, and about 50k later (In studies and prepatory paper work), and he still can't build (He literally just got permission to start when this report came out. Imagine if he'd taken out a loan or some other financial hardship while waiting? This is why companies don't want to build there.)

The cities are so fucking corrupt, and openly racist at this points its disgusting (They literally say their chief concern is "protecting latinos", IE not letting whites move in.) But yeah, its the lack of labor...lol.
I saw this, it was a good watch. The biggest WTF moment was when he finally almost made it through the approval process, they appealed because his new building would have cast a shadow on a playground at 8 AM. A playground that already was already covered in fucking TREES. The only reason he finally got it approved was because he sued. The only reason he was able to sue was because he was a private individual and it was a one time project for him. If it were a developer they wouldn't be able to sue because the city would just fuck with them more on future projects.

The latest city council head ran on a platform of building more apartments/houses. What did she do with the first building proposals after she was elected? Deny them.

Arbitrary

90d 12h 59m
I saw this, it was a good watch. The biggest WTF moment was when he finally almost made it through the approval process, they appealed because his new building would have cast a shadow on a playground at 8 AM. A playground that already was already covered in fucking TREES. The only reason he finally got it approved was because he sued. The only reason he was able to sue was because he was a private individual and it was a one time project for him. If it were a developer they wouldn't be able to sue because the city would just fuck with them more on future projects.

The latest city council head ran on a platform of building more apartments/houses. What did she do with the first building proposals after she was elected? Deny them.
When the one assembly person attacks him personally and the project as just a means for him to enrich himself is where I really get pissed off. He just wants to build this apartment complex to get richer! BOO HIM BOOOO.

There's just so many things packed into that statement. He's the wrong person (gender, color) to be benefiting from the project, profit is bad even when it provides things we want provided, we have the moral obligation to gatekeep as hard as possible, none of this is our money so who cares what it ends up costing him, etc. It's government run amuck.

A private citizen wants to use their own capital, capital that they accumulated through the operation of a local business, to improve your city. The value of the property goes up, the tax base increases, and it helps tackle a major problem in your city - the cost and availability of housing. And you spit on him for it. It's like the guy found himself in some long lost Ayn Rand story.