Politics Thread

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
25d 11h 17m
So right now I'm looking at Drudge:

Has symptoms of something....blames Trump.

Shutting water / power off to businesses that refuse to close (this is America right? Freedom, liberty, etc...don't think they won't do this to people who won't give over their guns because that's coming):

Negative Interest Rates:

Congress WILL NOT put forth the language of the bill they are voting on to the American people:

Chicago tells Amricans that if you go outside, you risk arrest:

Biden wants no more debates:

Prisons are just being emptied with no thought to anything:

Social Distance....multiple times!

Time for civil war?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
16d 18h 56m
Well at this point they aren't really stealing anything from anyone. If you are operating under the idea that the national debt will ever be paid off, you need to stop smoking so much crack. They are at this point just printing money that will never be paid back, and really the only thing keeping it going is people's own self interest, faith in the system, and the power of the US military to back our dollars.
I do find it interesting that we are printing money like pre-war germany and yet we aren't experiencing any similar inflationary pressures. Not condoning the monetary policy, just commenting on that issue. I'm curious which bubble is going to burst and start the cards falling. But we live in weird times, can't even predict when the cards will fall, they have gotten so good at propping them up.

• 1Worf
Reactions: khorum

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
115d 22h 44m

Shutting water / power off to businesses that refuse to close (this is America right? Freedom, liberty, etc...don't think they won't do this to people who won't give over their guns because that's coming):

Negative Interest Rates:

Congress WILL NOT put forth the language of the bill they are voting on to the American people:

Time for civil war?
drudge is a communist website now fyi - they are moonlighting and trying to be tricky but they are the enemy

MusicForFish

Space Command
<Moderation Tools>
83d 11h 2m

Negative Interest Rates:

Time for civil war?
As long as we get to dress like Batman/Joker and be a vigilante mob.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Silver Donator>
16d 19h 37m
What exactly have Americans with guns stopped their government from getting away with? We have state-promoted degeneracy, parasitic usury, legal baby killing, and a hostile foreign controlled media among other things.
Taxing their tea. Governing them from across "the pond". Illegal searches and seizures. And there were those farmers more recently.

To your point, it should happen much more often.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
49d 15h 33m

Negative Interest Rates:

Time for civil war?
Shit my nikka its done been time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: zombiewizardhawk

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
115d 22h 44m
it's going to be hard not to get a visit for comments on the internet / over the phone in the coming months

fanaskin

<Silver Donator>
119d 21h 46m
wait that was the sasse amendment, now they are voting on full bill

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: Rude

iannis

LYING DOG FACED PONY SOLDIER
82d 22h 9m
Think about the municipal services one for a minute though. It's not quite so simple as "I thought this was america". That was my first impression as well.

But take a minute. It gets into what authority does municipal government have to enforce safety measures that they've agreed on?

They're not sending out the cops or the guard or forcibly shuttering the business, they're temporarily discontinuing a service. They could make some arguments that it's in service of the protection of city workers and that's probably not entirely bullshit.

It seems to be the strongest grey response that they could make. Sending in cops wouldn't be grey at all I agree. But services? It's not quite the same thing.

iannis

LYING DOG FACED PONY SOLDIER
82d 22h 9m
It's not because there's a disagreement.

We elect officials to a term, they are granted authority during that term. They have decided on a response to a health concern.

I'm thinking that's an issue that needs to be decided at a ballot box, not a judge's bench.

Lithose

Potato del Grande
I do find it interesting that we are printing money like pre-war germany and yet we aren't experiencing any similar inflationary pressures. Not condoning the monetary policy, just commenting on that issue. I'm curious which bubble is going to burst and start the cards falling. But we live in weird times, can't even predict when the cards will fall, they have gotten so good at propping them up.
It's because there are goods to buy here. The issue in pre-war Germany wasn't just that they were printing money--it was also that they couldn't sell anything due the treaties essentially promising most goods to other nations or preventing a lot of production in the first place or blocking trade.

In the end, fiat is backed by goods and services a country makes. You can print a shit ton of money if people actually want things your country makes. If you have nothing, the money becomes worthless.

The U.S. currently has about 100 Trillion in goods and services and we can now produce oil, which is a fungible unit of energy. So we'll have a high tolerance for printing, because people know there is actual real, tangible wealth here they can buy with the money. (But this is why good fiat systems tie money creation to the creation of goods/wealth--to maintain that faith that the money has a direct correlation to real goods created.)

Last edited: