Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

Tagline: Don't regret. Remember.

Genre: Drama, Romance

Director: Céline Sciamma

Cast: Noémie Merlant, Adèle Haenel, Luàna Bajrami, Valeria Golino, Christel Baras, Armande Boulanger, Guy Delamarche, Clément Bouyssou, Michèle Clément, Cécile Morel

Release: 2019-06-17

Runtime: 120

Plot: On an isolated island in Brittany at the end of the eighteenth century, a female painter is obliged to paint a wedding portrait of a young woman.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
No time for a lengthy review. This is the best movie I've watched this year, by far. It's available on Hulu with subtitles. Fucking EXCELLENT MOVIE.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Szlia recommended this in the Recent Movies thread I think a while back. And while I don’t remember my exact review, I do remember really liking it a lot. Very hard movie to recommend though for general audiences I think.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
It is a very good movie. I thought I would dislike it for its topic, but it is a very well made film.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
whats the lesbian scissoring situation like

Zero.

It's honestly a fucking great movie. It's a period piece in 1700s France, with basically 4 characters in the entire story. The story is mostly predictable, but it's incredibly well done. I actually praised it that they could make an absolutely wonderful love story about girls without having to go down the route of Blue is the Warmest Color. Numerous haunting scenes, depressing outcomes, and mesmerizing looks. Apparently this was filmed in 8K. It's a masterpiece.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just wanted to bump this, as I'm sure a lot of people are bored with no fucking new movies since March (except Tenet.) I still recommend this.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
MV5BZGYxNWZjODctNDZjYy00OTAxLThlMDEtOGQzM2YzOWJkYzg3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTg0OTY2NDc@._V1_SX1777_CR...jpg

My internal clock is all fucked up, so I find myself at 3am, drinking, and re-watching this movie. It's every bit as fantastic as I remember. It's completely engrossing from the first scene. Everything about the movie just captures me and holds my attention. The two leads are just beautiful, with the blonde (Adèle Haenel) being absolutely stunning. She's gorgeous, but in a way that you think you could maybe see her in the supermarket, but you never would. The cinematography is top notch, with lots of natural lighting, gorgeous up close shots, environmental shots, and beautiful sets. If you can watch this movie without wanting to paint your house french blue, I give you props. Such a good damn movie. This film premiered theatrically in the United States as a limited release in December 2019, followed by a wide release on 14 February 2020. So, I'm calling this the best movie of 2020.

Szlia

That was my pick for best film of 2019. A tour de force : the story is extremely predictable, yet it is surprising and mesmerizing the whole way through.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
That was my pick for best film of 2019. A tour de force : the story is extremely predictable, yet it is surprising and mesmerizing the whole way through.

FFB371DD-7A55-4FC4-88E2-44978001B94B.jpeg

This may be stupid, but I wonder if the director was going for this. Marianne always wears the red dress, Heloise wears the green dress (sometimes blue), and the background is almost always blue. And those three colors are the (additive) primary colors, which goes along with art, painting, etc.

Szlia

Personally I would not read too much into it. If it was more systematic or if there was a strong case to be made for each character having its color and possibly a symbolic attached to it, I might go for it, but here I think it's simply an aesthetic choice with the set designer, costume designer and cinematographer. The story takes place mostly in the house, Heloise has to be painted in the same dress and Marianne has a limited wardrobe because she travelled to the place. These three elements naturally result in a visual combination that is often repeated, so you want it to be visually pleasing and have the characters be distinct from each other. If this logical necessity did not exist - for instance if Marianne had 5 dresses, all of them red - then it would feel to me like a strong stylistic choice worth analyzing deeper. There is nothing wrong about doing it anyway though :D

An example of a strong stylistic choice could be Tokyo Drifter. It has a strong color coding for the different gangster factions and dynamic lightnings that underline changes in the plot.

PS: While I am bumping this, another great film centered on a lesbian couple was Carol. There are some themes in it that I wish were explored and are not, but the ending is so powerful !

Caliane

lovely movie.

but yeah, movies like this always drive me nuts. Rich entitled women laments having responsibilities. wants freedom to do whatever, whenever. also running away and living like a peasant getting a job is not an option obviously.

Color wheel talk.
RGB is LIGHT.

Paint is red yellow blue.
color.jpg

the mother does wear blue constantly in her appearances. theres probably something to the bold primary color talk. The maid wears yellow in most of her cloths.
and Heloise wears solid blue pretty consistently when not in the green. multiple blue cloaks, dresses.

commoners, and abortion lady are all in grey.
the girls wear white in bed together, and the hallucinations, and Heloises wedding dress. with the Hallucinations being of future Heloise in her wedding dress, vanishing as Eurydice does.

and the ending has, Marianne is in a striking blue standing in front of a painting of Orpheous who is wearing the same blue, with Eurydice in white..
VERY clear symbolism there..

the painting of Heloise has her in white, with an orange/yellow/gold ribbon. with daugher/son? in white.
and Heloise herself in white/gold as well at the theatre.
so likely intent there as well. But no idea what. Other then the clear Orpheous tie in, I have no idea what any of the other color ties were.

no one wears green other then the portrait dress.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Just caught this.. Mesmerising is the right word. Beautiful movie.

• 1Worf
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database