Potential Lawsuit Against Apartment Complex?

astos_sl

shitlord
My apartment lease is up at the end of the month and management is raising my rent substantially, hence I told them I won't be renewing the lease. I called today under a fake name (John Kruger, aka Arnold Schwarzenegger from Eraser to keep it bodybuilding related) and asked about prices, and the leasing agent quoted me the exact same rent I am paying now for the same apartment. I got her to email me the quote and I went to the management's office after work and they refuse to honor the terms they emailed to me because I'm a current resident. They wouldn't even let me sign a brand new lease with those terms and pay all the application fees again.

In my opinion this is price discrimination - they are quoting two people two different prices for the same apartment. That's like me saying I'll sell my car to a white guy for 10k but a black guy for 15k. So for all you CEO's / Fortune 500 attorneys, do I have a case for a lawsuit?

Toony

Molten Core Raider
Happens all the time, ever notice cell phone deals are better for new subscribers than existing customers? No case.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think you can sue, unless you area member of a protected group. But I don't know much about housing laws.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Yeah pretty sure there's nothing you can do. I lived in an apartment complex several years ago that had a move in special of 1 free month when I signed the 1 year lease agreement. I was there for 3 years, and would've been stupid if they had to give me a free month every year (though I would have loved it obviously) even though they had the deal going the whole time.

astos_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I know cable and cell phone companies do that kind of stuff all the time. However, those contracts are revolving month to month and are not fixed duration - you can cancel at any time. It just seems like that would qualify as a valid difference and thus renter discrimination; they are refusing to honor a written contract offer simply because I already live there. Oh well, I'll hammer them on apartmentratings.com

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Discrimination against current customers as a class is perfectly legal. Discrimination against negroes as a class is not legal. Your analogy fails.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Whoa guys, hang on here. This dispute about rent that probably amounts to a barely 4 figure amount on a yearly basis is totally worth enlisting a lawyer and spending 5 to 6 figures on to litigate. He's been wronged I tell you! How can you put a price on that?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just move. They're counting on people being lazy and just accepting the price hike. A lot of people threaten to leave/move and then never do, since that is an added expense as well. Call their bluff and don't give any more money to these shitbags.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Yeah pretty sure there's nothing you can do. I lived in an apartment complex several years ago that had a move in special of 1 free month when I signed the 1 year lease agreement. I was there for 3 years, and would've been stupid if they had to give me a free month every year (though I would have loved it obviously) even though they had the deal going the whole time.
I actually got this deal at my previous place. I told them I'm only going to renew the lease if I get a free month. They're going to be out that free month anyway, but if I leave they also had to repaint the apartment and wait for a new resident (large building, so there were never all apartments rented out). Worked like a charm.

That was also in New York - not exactly known for its sane housing market.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whoa guys, hang on here. This dispute about rent that probably amounts to a barely 4 figure amount on a yearly basis is totally worth enlisting a lawyer and spending 5 to 6 figures on to litigate. He's been wronged I tell you! How can you put a price on that?
Maybe it's different in Canada, but in the U.S., lawyers are a dime a dozen and pretty cheap.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Can you deal with the owner directly, instead of the association? Maybe you can talk to him and persuade him, from his point of view, it is better to keep you in the house at the same price, than to risk getting a new tenant who could fuck the condo up.
Besides one month of the house been empty will mean he will lose money rather than keeping you.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I actually got this deal at my previous place. I told them I'm only going to renew the lease if I get a free month. They're going to be out that free month anyway, but if I leave they also had to repaint the apartment and wait for a new resident (large building, so there were never all apartments rented out). Worked like a charm.

That was also in New York - not exactly known for its sane housing market.
Ditto, got this in MN. It's a win/win for the apartment complex, there's no reason for them not to give it to you.

Just like everything else though, if you're serious about making a point, you have to follow thru, or else you're a chump. Tell them you're leaving if you don't get the same deal, and if they won't give it to you, move.